GDT: Devils @ Oilers 3pm EST

devlman

So Bratt becomes our first 60 point player since MVP Hall. And I think you have to go all the way back to Jagr before that. What an absolutely amazing 6th round pick. 

Jack should also hit 60 if he stays healthy down the stretch. For a Devils team with 2 players with 60 points I’m guessing you’d have to go all the way back to the last Cup run year. 

With Holtz and Luke in the system, it really feels like this core could be something if they can get the goaltending straightened out. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Maybe we can ask Marty to scout goalie talent and coach the goaltenders. Can't be any worse than the people doing it now.

i don't think he can coach the goaltenders.  They tried to teach him the butterfly as a kid he didn't like it.  I guess he was right since his hybrid style led him to the HoF. 

• Like 1

Am I really asking too much for us to at least ice an AHL-level goalie instead of an ECHL one? I know there must be some dude from the 80’s who was worse but Gillies is easily the worst goalie I’ve sever seen.

He never knows where the puck is and is always 20 feet out of his crease on a goal.

It is a matter of time before the players are demoralized and stop trying. Bad habits will creep in. Fitz must bring in ANYONE with a pulse that can play goal. That anyone would be an upgrade. Spend a 7th rounder. It’s worth it for the players to continue playing hard and enjoying some wins.

Edited by devlman

This team is truly unbelievable.  I missed this one today, but I was following the score on my phone - when I saw we were down 1-0 early I was disappointed, but pleased when we tied it 1-1.  Once I saw it was 2-1 at the end of the 2nd I was like "Ok, we're still in the game, so that's a positive. Hopefully we can come back".  Early into the third when I next checked the score I was elated to see that we not only tied it, but actually were ahead 3-2.  "fvck yeah!" I thought.   I didn't get to check the score again until it was over, and saw another lovely 6-3 loss. Only we can give up a 1 goal lead and lose by 3 with less than 8 minutes to go in the game.  Truly remarkable. 

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

This team is truly unbelievable.  I missed this one today, but I was following the score on my phone - when I saw we were down 1-0 early I was disappointed, but pleased when we tied it 1-1.  Once I saw it was 2-1 at the end of the 2nd I was like "Ok, we're still in the game, so that's a positive. Hopefully we can come back".  Early into the third when I next checked the score I was elated to see that we not only tied it, but actually were ahead 3-2.  "fvck yeah!" I thought.   I didn't get to check the score again until it was over, and saw another lovely 6-3 loss. Only we can give up a 1 goal lead and lose by 3 with less than 8 minutes to go in the game.  Truly remarkable. 

The team actually played fairly well. Deserved to win. Gillies cost them again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

So Bratt becomes our first 60 point player since MVP Hall. And I think you have to go all the way back to Jagr before that. What an absolutely amazing 6th round pick. 

Jack should also hit 60 if he stays healthy down the stretch. For a Devils team with 2 players with 60 points I’m guessing you’d have to go all the way back to the last Cup run year. 

With Holtz and Luke in the system, it really feels like this core could be something if they can get the goaltending straightened out. 

Yeah there’s talent already here and talent that will be joining the team soon.

And yeah, without question, they’ve got to get a real coaching staff in here, and figure out the damned goaltending.  

Gillies will be gone after this season, so I’m not worried about him.  But I can’t say that a potential Mac/Bernier/Daws combo is going to have me pumped going into next season.  Maybe it works out, but it feels like they can be just about anywhere on the spectrum…just completely unpredictable.  

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

The post-Taylor thing doesn’t really impress upon me, because that’s exactly one full season between then and now. 

But for sure he’s been scoring at a pace we have not seen in a long while and I’m glad he is. I hope he maintains that form. I haven’t forgotten people wanting  him gone as recently as October/November.

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

The post-Taylor thing doesn’t really impress upon me, because that’s exactly one full season between then and now. 

But for sure he’s been scoring at a pace we have not seen in a long while and I’m glad he is. I hope he maintains that form. I haven’t forgotten people wanting  him gone as recently as October/November.

I’ll readily admit it, I was one of ‘em.  Love that he’s proven me SO friggin’ wrong.

Just now, mfitz804 said:

So far. 

It doesn’t feel fluke-ish…it feels like it all just clicked for him, just like that, all at once.  

And just for you (heh heh), Bratt’s put up 27 G and 51 A over his last 82 GP.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It doesn’t feel fluke-ish…it feels like it all just clicked for him, just like that, all at once.  

And just for you (heh heh), Bratt’s put up 27 G and 51 A over his last 82 GP.  

I agree it doesn’t feel that way. Ty Smith didn’t feel that way last year (yes he’s younger). And many other examples. 

I’m encouraged, I think it’s real, but it’s not far enough removed from “that guy sucks” for me to be fully assured. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree it doesn’t feel that way. Ty Smith didn’t feel that way last year (yes he’s younger). And many other examples. 

I’m encouraged, I think it’s real, but it’s not far enough removed from “that guy sucks” for me to be fully assured. 

In Ty’s case I just hope it’s a case of being poorly coached and needing a reminder of what it takes to succeed at the NHL level.  I’m hopeful that he’ll figure things out, and learn from this.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

No one would have done it even in a full season anyway. Palms always capped out around 50, and Nico never stayed healthy enough. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

No one would have done it even in a full season anyway. Palms always capped out around 50, and Nico never stayed healthy enough. 

I will need some @Colorado Rockies 1976math to confirm. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In Ty’s case I just hope it’s a case of being poorly coached and needing a reminder of what it takes to succeed at the NHL level.  I’m hopeful that he’ll figure things out, and learn from this.  

As am I. If he’s still here. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not really comparable. Ty Smith was racking up secondary assists (about a 3rd of his points were merely from QB’ing the power play), and imo we were so starved for a decent defenseman we really overrated his play. Bratt otoh is a total line driver who makes literally everyone he plays with better. He’s legitimately one of the best players in the league right now. This isn’t a fluke. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Not really comparable. Ty Smith was racking up secondary assists (about a 3rd of his points were merely from QB’ing the power play), and imo we were so starved for a decent defenseman we really overrated his play. Bratt otoh is a total line driver who makes literally everyone he plays with better. He’s legitimately one of the best players in the league right now. This isn’t a fluke. 

I hope you’re right.