Gdt habs vs devils. battle of the basement. 7pm *Miles is back!*

pumpkin cutter

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think the whole narrative was that Shero was eventually going to offer-sheet a top player from a team that was in cap trouble, due to the Devils having so much space.  Of course it never happened.

Naturally at the time Devils fans all over social media were coming up with a laundry list of excuses how he wouldn't be worth it.

Devils fans have sucked for so long they forgot what actual elite talent looks like and how much it realistically costs.

18 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

you'd deserve more than a slap for that. And not just from me.

Well I can’t come up with one, she’s delightful.

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Naturally at the time Devils fans all over social media were coming up with a laundry list of excuses how he wouldn't be worth it.

Devils fans have sucked for so long they forgot what actual elite talent looks like and how much it realistically costs.

Not sure why there’s another shot fired at Devils fans here.  I only come here to talk Devils, so I’m not as familiar with other sites as you are, but you really seem to hate Devils fans.  

re:  offer sheeting a guy like Marner…he would‘ve cost a gaggle of picks.  To me, when you have less overall needs and are closer to being a legit contender, that’s when you can go for it to that kind of extent (when your picks are more likely to be in the bottom of each round)…if you’re a team that figures to be drafting high in the first round, do you want to surrender multiple first round picks?  

But of course there’s a reason why you never see these things happen anyway…just seems like high-end offer sheets are too scary for most teams to consider.  Also chances are when it makes full sense to go for it, you have some guys making good money, and don’t have quite enough cap space to make it fully work.

As far as landing a guy like Marner goes via offer-sheeting/giving up a bunch of picks, I can see both sides.  I wouldn’t say “No way!” to the idea though. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not sure why there’s another shot fired at Devils fans here.  I only come here to talk Devils, so I’m not as familiar with other sites as you are, but you really seem to hate Devils fans.  

re:  offer sheeting a guy like Marner…he would‘ve cost a gaggle of picks.  To me, when you have less overall needs and are closer to being a legit contender, that’s when you can go for it to that kind of extent (when your picks are more likely to be in the bottom of each round)…if you’re a team that figures to be drafting high in the first round, do you want to surrender multiple first round picks?  

But of course there’s a reason why you never see these things happen anyway…just seems like high-end offer sheets are too scary for most teams to consider.  Also chances are when it makes full sense to go for it, you have some guys making good money, and don’t have quite enough cap space to make it fully work.

As far as landing a guy like Marner goes via offer-sheeting/giving up a bunch of picks, I can see both sides.  I wouldn’t say “No way!” to the idea though. 

Not that DevsMan84 is the definition of joy and positiveness by any stretch of imagination. But i do believe that was a sort of typo / mistakes and that he just meant that the Devils (as a team) have sucked for so long that the fans don't know what elite talent looks like and can cost. I don't think it was a jab at the fans at all.

12 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Not that DevsMan84 is the definition of joy and positiveness by any stretch of imagination. But i do believe that was a sort of typo / mistakes and that he just meant that the Devils (as a team) have sucked for so long that the fans don't know what elite talent looks like and can cost. I don't think it was a jab at the fans at all.

I like DM84 and get along with him well, but he does take shots at the Devils fanbase a lot.  There's definitely a group of fans that I think of as "the mutants", and that group I do find hard to talk hockey with (fortunately there aren't too many from that group coming in here...apparently they show up on other sites in much greater numbers, but I don't go to those sites)...that being said, I don't think the fanbase as a whole is as awful as he makes them out to be, and I go to my fair share of games each year.    

He can clarify, but I think that he was saying that Devils fans have sucked for so long that they weren't willing to acknowledge or pony up the "fair" high cost ($$$ + gaggle of picks) for a guy like Marner...that those fans were just shooting the idea down without realizing that yeah, a young RFA stud like Marner is going to cost you a LOT.  I was saying that if there's concern that Marner himself won't be enough to get the Devils to become competitive again, sure, you could wind up landing him, but very well painfully watch the Maple Leafs using what would have been your higher draft picks (ones you still needed), while the Devils struggle to build around Marner.  I was telling him that I can understand why some fans wouldn't want to pay that price (even if it can be argued that a guy like Marner should command that kind of price) for one terrific player, while still having too many other holes to fill.  

Of course, another reason why GMs often don't bother with high-end, young RFAs is that they can go through all of the trouble to put together an offer...and then the other team just matches anyway.  It's often pointless.   

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I like DM84 and get along with him well, but he does take shots at the Devils fanbase a lot.  There's definitely a group of fans that I think of as "the mutants", and that group I do find hard to talk hockey with (fortunately there aren't too many from that group coming in here...apparently they show up on other sites in much greater numbers, but I don't go to those sites)...that being said, I don't think the fanbase as a whole is as awful as he makes them out to be, and I go to my fair share of games each year.    

He can clarify, but I think that he was saying that Devils fans have sucked for so long that they weren't willing to acknowledge or pony up the "fair" high cost ($$$ + gaggle of picks) for a guy like Marner...that those fans were just shooting the idea down without realizing that yeah, a young RFA stud like Marner is going to cost you a LOT.  I was saying that if there's concern that Marner himself won't be enough to get the Devils to become competitive again, sure, you could wind up landing him, but very well painfully watch the Maple Leafs using what would have been your higher draft picks (ones you still needed), while the Devils struggle to build around Marner.  I was telling him that I can understand why some fans wouldn't want to pay that price (even if it can be argued that a guy like Marner should command that kind of price) for one terrific player, while still having too many other holes to fill.  

Of course, another reason why GMs often don't bother with high-end, young RFAs is that they can go through all of the trouble to put together an offer...and then the other team just matches anyway.  It's often pointless.   

At the time of that rumor, outside of their #1 overalls Devils first rounders tended to underwhelm.  Marner is a top 20 in the league type of player which prior to Hughes emerging this season we just didn't have.

This is a forum that has maybe a couple of dozen regular posters.  I would say the opinions I see from hundreds, if not thousands, on other social media sites are more indicative of the overall opinion of the fanbase than less than 50 on a platform that has been dying for a bit.  The overall feeling was that Marner would cost a lot and there were a laundry list of excuses from the high cost, to his attitude, to his play as to why the Devils shouldn't get him.  That has been a repeating pattern with this fanbase in regards to elite talent as there always seems to be an excuse as why we should keep our sh!tty to middling players and pass on offensive talent.  They would rather have a Swiss-Army Knife kind of player who does everything just OK than a guy who is a true elite offensive talent with some warts in his game.

Or, the Devils can keep doing those low-risk, high-reward type of deals that we have been doing over the past decade where for every one that works out, several do not.  The fanbase seems to be able to stomach that much better while we head towards another bottom 5 in the league record.

43 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Or, the Devils can keep doing those low-risk, high-reward type of deals that we have been doing over the past decade where for every one that works out, several do not.  The fanbase seems to be able to stomach that much better while we head towards another bottom 5 in the league record.

As far as this goes, really hope the Devils are past that.  I get doing it when you're a team in transition and still not there yet.  Now that certain players have clearly "arrived", those deals just don't fly anymore.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread...another thing I've been dead wrong about was going into both of the last two seasons, I thought for sure that the Devils were going to get above-average play in net.  Not even close.

EDIT:  didn't realize what thread I was in, drrrrrrr.  For some reason thought I was in the "Dead Wrong" thread.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread...another thing I've been dead wrong about was going into both of the last two seasons, I thought for sure that the Devils were going to get above-average play in net.  Not even close.

You best be prepared for a new dawn, because the fvcking Hamburglar is coming...

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Any word on him?  Is he playing later this week?  

In typical Devils fashion, they have been completely transparent and forthcoming about when his injury will subside. 

Just kidding, I have no fvcking Idea. Just sitting here waiting to add a puck into my display lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1