GDT: 3/31/22 Devils @ Bruins, 7:00 PM MSG+

Colorado Rockies 1976

I hate to say it but not only does McLeod not have a future with us but I don’t even think he’s an nhl player. He wins face offs sometimes, big deal.. He sucks ass.

Ty Smith is following behind very rapidly. Too small, too slow, too idiotic for the nhl.

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

Correction. That was the second goal where no Devil was in the middle of the ice, just when the goalie gives up as fat of a rebound that you'll ever see. Yikes.

That was on Siegenthaler not Nico. Siegs the last two months has not looked too sharp

21 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

incredible stats.

43 goalies played for the Devils.

Gillies is not even the worst one by save %. He's 26th. incredible.

The 80’s stats have to be thrown out the window

2 hours ago, devlman said:

I hate to say it but not only does McLeod not have a future with us but I don’t even think he’s an nhl player. He wins face offs sometimes, big deal.. He sucks ass.

Ty Smith is following behind very rapidly. Too small, too slow, too idiotic for the nhl.

This team has plenty of non-NHLers.  I know they are young, but I say this from the prospective of professionalism.  They do not “bring it” everyday.  They are not ready to play and compete.  They have talent, but they are sloppy and, all to often, lackadaisical.  They were steamrolled tonight and, as side of, a couple of fights and Jack’s goal, the rest of the game they were a bunch of bums, all of them including Jack.  He was lucky the goal negated because the play was offsides.  That would be the 1OA responsible for the 9th goal with that turnover.  They should be embarrassed for their efforts.  I have turned of many games this years, but tonight, I could not turn away from this train wreck.

5 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

This team has plenty of non-NHLers.  I know they are young, but I say this from the prospective of professionalism.  They do not “bring it” everyday.  They are not ready to play and compete.  They have talent, but they are sloppy and, all to often, lackadaisical.  They were steamrolled tonight and, as side of, a couple of fights and Jack’s goal, the rest of the game they were a bunch of bums, all of them including Jack.  He was lucky the goal negated because the play was offsides.  That would be the 1OA responsible for the 9th goal with that turnover.  They should be embarrassed for their efforts.  I have turned of many games this years, but tonight, I could not turn away from this train wreck.

As ugly as last night was, games like this have NOT really been the norm lately...coming into last night, the Devils had outscored their opposition 76-72 over their last 20 games, and that's with a lot of awful goaltending (Daws did get hot there for a while).  So as annoyed as I was in the moment, I can't go too crazy overall.  They've had some good games in there and have been competitive in their fair share.  

We all know the deal...the coaching staff is here through the end of the season...being that they have yet to come up with answers for anything during their time here, I'm sure as hell not expecting them to come up with any now...and as much as I hate seeing a game like last night's, at least they're not doing anything to convince Fitz that they should stay, and that in itself is a major positive.  They can't be back, and there's no way Fitz or the organization can even attempt to sell us on it.  Like many others, the day Fitz announces they're back is the day that I'm 100% done with Fitz.  And yes, there's some deadwood on this team...PK will be gone and it can't happen soon enough.  Tatar and Johnsson should be next...neither one should be back next season.  Feels like Zacha's time is up too. 

Torts won't be the coach next year.  Feels like this will be Dineen's gig.  I'm fine with that.

Re:  finding a new goalie...if the Devils want to go the cheap route, as far as having to give up assets, they can probably get a guy like Binnington, who's signed for 5 more years @ $6 million per.  I want no part of that...Binnington's will be entering his Age 29 season and all he represents is "Throw it against the wall and hope is sticks."...it could work, but chances are it probably won't.  Florida would probably drive Bobrovsky to NJ themselves if the Devils were willing to take on his $10 million cap hit over the next four seasons (his Age 34-37 years)...another hard NO from me, even if the price to acquire him seems very cheap.

One of these fvcking years, the Devils are actually going to have to develop just ONE damned goalie of their own...if not, they're either going to have to take on an expensive existing contract from a team that's decided that their goalie is no longer worth his money and no longer vital to the cause, or they're going to have to pony up big-time for a legit prospect (and how many teams are willing to part with those)?  Goalies who are paid on a reasonable contract and are actually relatively consistent...who's looking to give up a player like that?  The long-term answer is going to have to come from within...and at this moment, yeah, suffice it to say there's no one guy who seems remotely certain to be that guy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As ugly as last night was, games like this have NOT really been the norm lately...coming into last night, the Devils had outscored their opposition 76-72 over their last 20 games, and that's with a lot of awful goaltending (Daws did get hot there for a while).  So as annoyed as I was in the moment, I can't go too crazy overall.  They've had some good games in there and have been competitive in their fair share.  

We all know the deal...the coaching staff is here through the end of the season...being that they have yet to come up with answers for anything during their time here, I'm sure as hell not expecting them to come up with any now...and as much as I hate seeing a game like last night's, at least they're not doing anything to convince Fitz that they should stay, and that in itself is a major positive.  They can't be back, and there's no way Fitz or the organization can even attempt to sell us on it.  Like many others, the day Fitz announces they're back is the day that I'm 100% done with Fitz.  And yes, there's some deadwood on this team...PK will be gone and it can't happen soon enough.  Tatar and Johnsson should be next...neither one should be back next season.  Feels like Zacha's time is up too. 

Torts won't be the coach next year.  Feels like this will be Dineen's gig.  I'm fine with that.

Re:  finding a new goalie...if the Devils want to go the cheap route, as far as having to give up assets, they can probably get a guy like Binnington, who's signed for 5 more years @ $6 million per.  I want no part of that...Binnington's will be entering his Age 29 season and all he represents is "Throw it against the wall and hope is sticks."...it could work, but chances are it probably won't.  Florida would probably drive Bobrovsky to NJ themselves if the Devils were willing to take on his $10 million cap hit over the next four seasons (his Age 34-37 years)...another hard NO from me, even if the price to acquire him seems very cheap.

One of these fvcking years, the Devils are actually going to have to develop just ONE damned goalie of their own...if not, they're either going to have to take on an expensive existing contract from a team that's decided that their goalie is no longer worth his money and no longer vital to the cause, or they're going to have to pony up big-time for a legit prospect (and how many teams are willing to part with those)?  Goalies who are paid on a reasonable contract and are actually relatively consistent...who's looking to give up a player like that?  The long-term answer is going to have to come from within...and at this moment, yeah, suffice it to say there's no one guy who seems remotely certain to be that guy.  

It looks like the strategy since taking Blackwood in the 2nd has been to take a late goalie and hope one of them hits. 

2016 Evan Cormier 4th rd

2017 Gilles Senn 5th

2018 Schmid 5th

2019 Cole Brady 5th

2020 Daws 3rd

2021 Jakub Marek 4th

I think they are going to have to either trade for a young goalie (I’ve repeatedly mentioned checking with Anaheim about Dostal or Stolarz as they clearly have Gibson long term for example) or spend a late 1st or a 2nd on a more highly regarded prospect in the draft. Nothing is a guarantee with goaltending unfortunately. You can just hedge your bets 

Woof, missed this one but catching the highlights now.. we need some goaltending.  

Second goal, the fvck is that rebound?  Third isn't much better.  Fourth, way out of position.  Dawes clearly didn't have it last night.

Defense on the 5th is hilarious, watching the replay.  Guy left completely alone in front for the tip.

6th through 8th, what can you say - the team completely stopped playing.

Total men versus boys type of game.  Makes you worry about if/when this team makes the playoffs.. they're really not built to play a tough type of game.

Edited by Devilsfan118

This year is the perfect time to package our 1st (and wtv else) for a decent goalie. I don’t really want to wait on a draft prospect to develop. You’re probably talking at least 3-4 years before they’d even be ready. And the young core took a huge step this season, and are basically ready now to compete for the playoffs right now. Problem is -what are you even adding to the 1st to make it worthwhile for another team to give up a goalie?

Jack is obviously untouchable. Bratt and Nico probably are, too. And I wouldn’t want to move either for some teams 1B or backup anyway. Mercer has way too much upside to even think about moving him. Luke is just as untouchable as Jack. So what are we packaging to even get teams to answer the phone? Hopefully not Holtz. Zacha + a 1st (in a weak draft class) probably isn’t bringing back much. Can’t sell this low on Ty Smith. Severson? That would create another huge hole in the top 4 D. I just don’t see any good options. 

Edited by Nicomo

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

This year is the perfect time to package our 1st (and wtv else) for a decent goalie. I don’t really want to wait on a draft prospect to develop. You’re probably talking at least 3-4 years before they’d even be ready. And the young core took a huge step this season, and are basically ready now to compete for the playoffs right now. Problem is -what are you even adding to the 1st to make it worthwhile for another team to give up a goalie?

Jack is obviously untouchable. Bratt and Nico probably are, too. And I wouldn’t want to move either for some teams 1B or backup anyway. Mercer has way too much upside to even think about moving him. Luke is just as untouchable as Jack. So what are we packaging to even get teams to answer the phone? Hopefully not Holtz. Zacha + a 1st (in a weak draft class) probably isn’t bringing back much. Can’t sell this low on Ty Smith. Severson? That would create another huge hole in the top 4 D. I just don’t see any good options. 

Problem is, nobody is going to trade us any kind of decent goalie for a bag of d!cks and a first. With all of those guys being “untouchable”, Holtz has to be included.

17 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Makes you worry about if/when this team makes the playoffs.. they're really not built to play a tough type of game.

I’m not worried about that yet. One thing at a time. Let’s SNIFF the damn playoffs before we worry about being built for the postseason. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Problem is, nobody is going to trade us any kind of decent goalie for a bag of d!cks and a first. With all of those guys being “untouchable”, Holtz has to be included.

Unless they can get it done with just additional picks, which I doubt. I haven’t looked at this year’s UFA goalies yet, but Fitz certainly hasn’t done well there the last couple years. I honestly don’t know what the answer is. They really put all their eggs in the Blackwood basket, and has turned into a disaster. 

19 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Also, I literally addressed this in my post… :P

31 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Unless they can get it done with just additional picks, which I doubt. I haven’t looked at this year’s UFA goalies yet, but Fitz certainly hasn’t done well there the last couple years. I honestly don’t know what the answer is. They really put all their eggs in the Blackwood basket, and has turned into a disaster. 

If the Devils are trying to avoid giving up any existing assets (ones we'd hate to see dealt) in trying to get a solid, mid 20s-or-younger goalie with real upside and several potentially good-to-great years ahead of him, we're probably looking at a package of (2) 1sts, (1) 2nd, (2) 4ths (Devils do have three of those this season) and Blackwood (at least the team is getting a goalie back in what amounts to a one-year tryout).  Yeah, sounds like a lot to give up, but if the idea is to basically not give up Bratt or Holtz AND get yourself a goalie who's ready and can immediately slot it and be dependable...not to mention it's not like other teams aren't well aware of how bad the Devils' goaltending situation is.  Devils are ahead of only the Kraken in team save%.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If the Devils are trying to avoid giving up any existing assets (ones we'd hate to see dealt) in trying to get a solid, mid 20s-or-younger goalie with real upside and several potentially good-to-great years ahead of him, we're probably looking at a package of (2) 1sts, (1) 2nd, (2) 4ths (Devils do have three of those this season) and Blackwood (at least the team is getting a goalie back in what amounts to a one-year tryout).  Yeah, sounds like a lot to give up, but if the idea is to basically not give up Bratt or Holtz AND get yourself a goalie who's ready and can immediately slot it and be dependable...not to mention it's not like other teams aren't well aware of how bad the Devils' goaltending situation is.  Devils are ahead of only the Kraken in team save%.  

Yeah, that certainly sounds like a lot on paper. It’s crazy that Lou was able to get Cory for a single 1st. 

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It looks like the strategy since taking Blackwood in the 2nd has been to take a late goalie and hope one of them hits. 

2016 Evan Cormier 4th rd

2017 Gilles Senn 5th

2018 Schmid 5th

2019 Cole Brady 5th

2020 Daws 3rd

2021 Jakub Marek 4th

I think they are going to have to either trade for a young goalie (I’ve repeatedly mentioned checking with Anaheim about Dostal or Stolarz as they clearly have Gibson long term for example) or spend a late 1st or a 2nd on a more highly regarded prospect in the draft. Nothing is a guarantee with goaltending unfortunately. You can just hedge your bets 

The Ducks will try to unload Gibson before dealing off one of the others...and good luck on that one.  Gibson's been below average the past three seasons (including this one) and has a $6.4 million cap hit for 5 more years.  Basically he's just as unattractive as Binnington is...you can probably get him for not much, but now you're stuck with him for five more years.  

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, that certainly sounds like a lot on paper. It’s crazy that Lou was able to get Cory for a single 1st. 

I just posted about this, but the Devils could probably get Binnington or Gibson for not a whole lot...their current teams would be thrilled to get those hits off their books.  I'd hate either move...it's just hoping for the best, without much to back it up.  Gibson's on his third straight below-average season, and Binnington's been OK at best since he burst onto the scene.  But unfortunately, unless you're REALLY willing to pay up with a "right now" asset or two, or willing to go heavy with a draft pick package, those are the kinds of goalies that are available...and of course, there's a reason WHY they're available (on the cheap).  

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Also, I literally addressed this in my post… :P

Except that you said "Hopefully not Holtz", and my point was, you have to include Holtz if all of the other guys you said are untouchable are untouchable. You can't send a pile of parts for a good goalie, and really any other players we could send (aside from Hamilton, who you didn't mention but I also assume you feel is untouchable) would be just that. 

47 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It's like he was good at being a GM or something. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Ducks will try to unload Gibson before dealing off one of the others...and good luck on that one.  Gibson's been below average the past three seasons (including this one) and has a $6.4 million cap hit for 5 more years.  Basically he's just as unattractive as Binnington is...you can probably get him for not much, but now you're stuck with him for five more years.  

As Ive said before though.. those teams would prefer to unload Gibson or Binnington but that doesn’t mean they will be able to. They might not find people willing to take those contracts. With Husso about to become UFA, St Louis may be stuck with Binnington. 

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

As Ive said before though.. those teams would prefer to unload Gibson or Binnington but that doesn’t mean they will be able to. They might not find people willing to take those contracts. With Husso about to become UFA, St Louis may be stuck with Binnington. 

Oh I'm not saying those teams will be successful, just that they'll try to do that first (even offering to take back the expiring contract of an undesirable).  

Would you make Husso an offer, if he made it to UFA?  I think I might have to.  At least he'd only cost the Devils money.

If the Devils ever did actually help a team out by trading for a Pinnington-type...they'd better send at least one undesirable short-term contract the other way (Tatar comes to mind).  

SD is right about one thing...goalies really are kind of a crapshoot...so few that you can really count on to be anywhere from at least average to very good season in and season out.  Watch Husso come here and be just as meh as everyone else who's played here in recent years.  

Daws had a rough game last night to say the least.  I cannot get on him too much simply because he is being asked to do way too much.  Gillies is quite possibly the worst NHL goalie I have ever seen.  Even calling him an AHL-level goalie is being very generous.  Guy is a complete loser.

However, I wouldn't put the full blame of the loss on them.  Most of the team played terrible.  Geertsen is a waste of a roster spot and the 4th line was trash.  Sharangovich and Hischier had an absolute dogsh!t game last night.  Hamilton hasn't played all that great either since his return from his broken jaw.

I really do not have much hope in both coaching staff and Fitz to right this ship anymore.  The coaching staff is obvious, but Fitz just looks worse and worse with each passing day.  Fitz is pretty much banking on goaltending to be better next year and possibly a change of coaching (which has yet to be seen) to get us to the next level next season.  I just don't see that with Fitz's big move was to get a goalie he didn't know was injured and will play for maybe 3 weeks at this point.  Not only that, but he is being advised by an analytics department who recently boasted in an interview to Shayna Goldman about the team having the 10th best expected goal % since Christmas.  If that is the type of advise he is pinning our success on going forward, I want Fitz fired as soon as the season is over.

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Daws had a rough game last night to say the least.  I cannot get on him too much simply because he is being asked to do way too much.  Gillies is quite possibly the worst NHL goalie I have ever seen.  Even calling him an AHL-level goalie is being very generous.  Guy is a complete loser.

However, I wouldn't put the full blame of the loss on them.  Most of the team played terrible.  Geertsen is a waste of a roster spot and the 4th line was trash.  Sharangovich and Hischier had an absolute dogsh!t game last night.  Hamilton hasn't played all that great either since his return from his broken jaw.

I really do not have much hope in both coaching staff and Fitz to right this ship anymore.  The coaching staff is obvious, but Fitz just looks worse and worse with each passing day.  Fitz is pretty much banking on goaltending to be better next year and possibly a change of coaching (which has yet to be seen) to get us to the next level next season.  I just don't see that with Fitz's big move was to get a goalie he didn't know was injured and will play for maybe 3 weeks at this point.  Not only that, but he is being advised by an analytics department who recently boasted in an interview to Shayna Goldman about the team having the 10th best expected goal % since Christmas.  If that is the type of advise he is pinning our success on going forward, I want Fitz fired as soon as the season is over.

Yeah I won't get on Daws simply for previously stated reasons.  He's a 21-year-old who wasn't even supposed to sniff the NHL this season, let alone become the #1 strictly by default...this kid played in 13 games in March alone.

Gillies is a guy who's only appeared in this many games this season for similar reasons to Daws...a lot of sh!t going wrong.  Gillies appeared in 13 NHL games for his entire CAREER prior to becoming a Devil...he's somehow managed to play in 17 games since coming here.  He's clearly not an NHLer and this should be the end of the road for him, but if his number's being called, not like he should ever say no.

But yeah, a game like yesterday's is pretty much on everyone.  Maybe they only lose 5-1 with a good goalie.

Fitz appears to be down enough on Blackwood that I'm thinking he's going to make some kind of change.  We'll see to what degree.