2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

It seems like we’re already hitting the pattern we had last year, he shuts it down for a couple days, they find nothing, he pitches again and gets shut down again a couple weeks later, they still find nothing, wash rinse repeat 

And also right after that gimmick ST game with only Jake and Max pitching got everyone fired up. Figures Max pitched six innings while Jake had the three.

Edited by NJDevs4978

As much as I like Jake...Mets might be better off letting him opt out and NOT re-signing him.  Sounds crazy, but how can the Mets rely on him anymore?  He could be one of those "Well, he's great when he pitches guys" who simply rarely pitches.  The Mets went down this road once before in constantly trying to plan around David Wright...don't do this again.

And while Max has been a workhorse...really how long can you count on him? That wall could hit at any time. He's 37 years old and turning 38 in season. With a guy that age you just have to take it year to year

deGrom almost throws too damn hard for his own good. I'm not some pitching guru but I really think if he could just scale it down a bit then it would do his arm a lot of good. A guy with a 1.00-1.50 era is otherwordly...but what if the best he can give you is 15-18 starts a year. That hurts the team over the long grind of the season in what it does to our pen. Rather Jake have an era near 3.00, preserve his arm, but make 30+ starts a year

Edited by '7'

Yeah that's it for me...my plans can't involve Jake anymore, and no way in hell do I extend him if he opts out.  If he comes back and contributes this year, great, but I operate on the assumption that he's done for the year.

Pitchers...

Hosmer the Pads have been trying to dump for a while supposedly. He's 32...still a good player, but Dom is 25. Did not have a good season last year but during the COVID abbreviated season he got MVP votes. Paddack had a solid rookie season but just totally fell off the map after.

Indeed we better get something else back. I'm leaning no on this. Smells like a panic move

That would've been a silly trade. They got Bassit and Scherzer, who probably will be okay. He's a horse. Old school like Ryan. 

I feel for deGrom. 77-53 and 2 Cy Youngs. He should have a lot more wins. Hope he comes back strong. 

Mets made a cross city trade the other day. Miguel Castro for Joely Rodriguez. Can't say I'm a big fan of it. Rodriguez is a lefty but Castro overall is the better pitcher. And younger

• Like 1

1 minute ago, '7' said:

Mets made a cross city trade the other day. Miguel Castro for Joely Rodriguez. Can't say I'm a big fan of it. Rodriguez is a lefty but Castro overall is the better pitcher. And younger

All goes back to the same thing:

WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST RE-SIGN LOUP?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

All goes back to the same thing:

WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST RE-SIGN LOUP?!

I don't get it either, left an important hole that we have now subtracted from a strength to acquire somebody who may or may not fill that whole. Loup is a Californian so maybe perhaps the Mets tried and he just wanted to go home? But with them your first instinct is always incompetence

Just now, '7' said:

I don't get it either, left an important hole that we have now subtracted from a strength to acquire somebody who may or may not fill that whole. Loup is a Californian so maybe perhaps the Mets tried and he just wanted to go home? But with them your first instinct is always incompetence

Sleepy Sandy was still calling the shots at the time...so I'm not surprised.  

And their bullpen philosophy is STILL Sandy-like post lockout, just get cheap guys and throw crap against the wall a la Ottavino, Shreve and Rodriguez. Even the fvcking Marlins showed more urgency improving their own bullpen over the weekend than the Mets have all winter

Edited by NJDevs4978

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And their bullpen philosophy is STILL Sandy-like post lockout, just get cheap guys and throw crap against the wall a la Shreve and Rodriguez. Even the fvcking Marlins showed more urgency improving their own bullpen over the weekend than the Mets have all winter

Yeah seems like a lot of people are bullish on the Mets...they won't suck, but I wouldn't be totally shocked to see them finish with 85 wins or less...especially if deGrom and/or Scherzer miss a lot of time or don't pitch well.

And you are right, for some reason the BP seems to have gotten overlooked.  Another season with Diaz as the closer?  REALLY?!

And now Nimmo with a stiff neck. Not sure if it will keep him out of opening day but I mean you could just predict that snowball rolling downhill...deGrom, Scherzer, Nimmo. He got a Cortisone shot in his neck a few hours ago

And with Scherzer, good to hear he is feeling better and while not a sure thing, closer to a GO on Opening Day. But why risk it at this point. I mean you just know he'll go out and reaggravate it and we'll just be inundated with the Stewie Family Guy clip all day

Edited by '7'
  • Haha 1