2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

I heard about that...I actually get it from the old-time programming standpoint you don't really want to alert people to a game going on in your market 'at the same time' to potentially split the audience - but OTOH it's 2022, if people want to find the Yankee game they can easily know when and where it is.

Mets do win again despite a Diaz blown save last night.  As skeptical as I am of Diaz in general, it's not like anyone else in the pen's pitching better, May and Lugo are actually bigger concerns atm.

• Like 1

Yeah 11-4 can cover up ills for sure, but the pen is a problem and likely will be for much of this season.  Don’t think Buck needed to take Peterson out after 5 IP and 65 pitches.  

This is looking like a “one of those days” kinda game tonight…only 1+ innings in, but everyone looking sloppy and flat.  

Reid-Foley in to basically throw gasoline on the fire.

Guess this is the big breakout night for for the D’Backs.

Yeah saw that, re:  Conforto.  Guessing he’ll get invite offers to various 2023 spring trainings.  Sure he’s wishing he’d taken the $18.4 million QO, if not the $100 million the Mets apparently offered.  

Two more HBPs for the Mets, each one driving in a run.  Baseball is such a mess.

Gotta admit, even though McGill gave up a run there, I like that Buck gave him the chance to get through seven innings.  Wish there was more of that.

Another series win, now 12-5…and already some breathing room, with the rest of the NL East off to meh starts.  But man was this an ugly ugly game…anti-baseball, though McGill is off to a fine start.

Oh, and on a side note, Yankee fans suck.  No, not every last one of them, but it’s an overrated group.  They think that they’re entitled to any star player they want (and of course want to give up 3-4 scrubs to see it happen), and now the crab with the Guardians over the weekend.  fvck ‘em.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yeah Megill has exceeded expectations so far though I think he got off to a great start last year too. I thought two of three might be tricky with our bottom three pitchers (ostensibly) going, but the Mets continue to grind out series wins 

And yeah I don’t blame Straw one bit for getting in that mongo’s face on Saturday. The Yankee fans have nobody to blame but themselves for throwing sh!t.

Edited by NJDevs4978

You are right Has, McGill had a 2.04 ERA after 7 starts last year…his ERA was well over 6.00 after that.  So remains to be seen if he can keep this up.

Pete’s driven in a lot of runs but something just seems off with him.  Still insanely early of course. 

I’m to the point where I wouldn’t mind seeing an ump knocked out cold.  Seriously.  These guys are all so smug and arrogant and never have to answer for often not being terribly good at their job.  They get that “Ha ha you can’t touch me look” on their faces.  And Angel Hernandez is such a POS…brings nothing to the game.  Why are these guys NEVER held accountable?

And of course, you just KNOW that guy, if somehow terminated, would immediately play the race card and sue.  Complete joke.

Trevor May doesn’t exactly inspire confidence, does he?

Yet another great Sandy acquisition.  Loser.

Damn crazy ninth.  Didn’t think the Mets would tie this up, much less go ahead.  Especially with Cano hitting in the inning.

And if Diaz doesn’t blow this, friggin’ Trevor May will get the win.  Go figure.  

Huuuuge early season win.  Team is 8-3 on the road.  And Gary’s feed goes kaput yet again.  

• Haha 1

This was a thrilling win last night and a game that I'd given up on. But the Cards...well they Metted things up didn't they. I'm also hearing a lot of hyper Mets optimists start making 86 comparisons to when the Mets went into St. Louis, took 4 straight, and wiped out the Cards for good that season. Bit early for that, plus the entire environment of baseball is totally different to make that comparison.

Sick of May. And sucks that Scherzer couldn't get the W for how he pitched. But what can you say, he gets the deGrom treatment. 

Edited by '7'

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10033721-mlbs-offensive-woes-are-casting-a-boring-cloud-over-the-new-season

By the way, when you see stuff like this, expect the humidors to be incinerated and the hyper juiced balls are on their way back. This is NOT the type of stuff MLB brass wants to see regarding articles, be it bleacher or more legit publications, stuff like this is beginning to leak out. I can see them wanting a more balanced game going into this, but all they do is vacillate between extremes. Give it a week or two and we'll be seeing 12-10 and cheap half swing home runs.

I just wish we can have balance in the sport again. Slugging teams, pitching, speed and defense teams, contact offenses. Nowadays every teams offense is essentially built the same way. Remember the Cards in the 80s used to have maybe one slugger, they'd slap the ball into the turf and cause havoc, and they could pitch. The Tigers were a slugging team etc.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

This was a thrilling win last night and a game that I'd given up on. But the Cards...well they Metted things up didn't they. I'm also hearing a lot of hyper Mets optimists start making 86 comparisons to when the Mets went into St. Louis, took 4 straight, and wiped out the Cards for good that season. Bit early for that, plus the entire environment of baseball is totally different to make that comparison.

Sick of May. And sucks that Scherzer couldn't get the W for how he pitched. But what can you say, he gets the deGrom treatment. 

Yeah the Cards ended that the game in a very Met-like way.

I'm with you, too early to get too excited...I'm glad that they've built up a nice early-season cushion for themselves, but can't go too crazy beyond that.

Just now, '7' said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10033721-mlbs-offensive-woes-are-casting-a-boring-cloud-over-the-new-season

By the way, when you see stuff like this, expect the humidors to be incinerated and the hyper juiced balls are on their way back. This is NOT the type of stuff MLB brass wants to see. I can see them wanting a more balanced game, but all they do is vacillate between extremes. Give it a week or two and we'll be seeing 12-10 and cheap half swing home runs

I just wish we can have balance in the sport again.

Yeah right now it's a mess:  league is batting .231 as a whole, and has 3714 hits and 4172 Ks...a lot of these teams have to be brutal watches.   

In the 80s, the game did seem to be perfectly balanced...it just FELT right.  Today's game, with lack of actual events and minimal attention paid to fundamentals, is simply not a compelling watch.  I don't know how it ever gets fixed.  

• Like 1

More and more every year I wish we had a couple of Whitey Herzog style teams that win games with speed and defense. You would think someone would decide at some point that if everyone is trying to win one way, it’s just not going to work for everyone.

re: last night it was about time to see someone else’s pen bite them for a change. Especially when this looked like yet another bullpen loss for us

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Thanks 1