2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

And wow Diaz with an exclamation point to the comeback.  Wow.  Just wow.  The Mets used to be on the receiving end of games like this.  Crazy crazy crazy.

Did that just happen? I mean holy crap!!

I was gonna give them a bit of a pass...hey eventually they were going to hit the skids a little bit you figure. Lose a few in a row (and it'll eventually happen) but to have such an improbably rally on the road...this is a memorable W and you've gotta figure the Phillies are absolutely shattered after a game like this

• Like 1

1 minute ago, '7' said:

I was gonna give them a bit of a pass...hey eventually they were going to hit the skids a little bit you figure. Lose a few in a row (and it'll eventually happen) but to have such an improbably rally on the road...this is a memorable W and you've gotta figure the Phillies are absolutely shattered after a game like this

I was impressed once they got the tying run to the plate…even if it had ended there, I would’ve given them some kudos.  I never expected them to actually win the damned thing. 

30 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Gotta love CBP.  No game is ever over. Holy sh!t.

Seriously...I was at a bar but with a group not really paying attention to the game, I saw it was 7-1 after 8 or whenever it was Familia pitched and I was like screw this, another blowout loss in a row and didn't even look back at the TV until someone else in my group said holy crap, the Mets just tied the game in the 9th...I was like WHAT?! 🤣

This at least makes up for the Washington fiasco a couple years ago, it was that type of game.  Thankfully, finally someone else's bullpen ate it in the clutch in grand fashion against us.  Conversely, I actually agree with whoever it was on the postgame (Zeile?) who said confidence in Diaz has never been higher.

Edited by NJDevs4978

15 minutes ago, '7' said:

The only potential bummer is we might be sitting on two rainouts in a row after this, though at least we would go into a mini-break off THAT win over two straight blowout losses.

I was following it on my phone…I didn’t switch to the TV until Diaz came in because I didn’t want to jinx them, heh heh.  Hope the Phillies come out dazed tomorrow.  

You've brought this up before Has...I get going with a mop-up type with a big lead, but how long do you go with a guy like that?  Norwood (he started the 9th for the Phils) is a 28-year-old journeyman who had all of 33.1 IP over five seasons, and career WHIP over 1.7 (now over 1.8, after last night's fun)...when you're a team that's 11-14, should you really be fvcking around?  Maybe when it gets to be 7-3 after Lindor's HR, you say "OK, we need this game, let me go right to my best, right now!"  Sure, the Mets might have come back anyway (Knebel didn't exactly slam the door shut), but sometimes managers who should be thinking more urgently try to squeeze outs of guys who simply don't have it (or aren't any good).  I love that the Mets came back, but Girardi and Co didn't treat that game with enough respect.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

51 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You've brought this up before Has...I get going with a mop-up type with a big lead, but how long do you go with a guy like that?  Norwood (he started the 9th for the Phils) is a 28-year-old journeyman who had all of 33.1 IP over five seasons, and career WHIP over 1.7 (now over 1.8, after last night's fun)...when you're a team that's 11-14, should you really be fvcking around?  Maybe when it gets to be 7-3 after Lindor's HR, you say "OK, we need this game, let me go right to my best, right now!"  Sure, the Mets might have come back anyway (Knebel didn't exactly slam the door shut), but sometimes managers who should be thinking more urgently try to squeeze outs of guys who simply don't have it (or aren't any good).  I love that the Mets came back, but Girardi and Co didn't treat that game with enough respect.    

Yeah that’s basically the same thing that happened in the Nats meltdown a couple years ago, Callaway left in Sewald for too many batters that inning when you knew almost no lead was safe with that pen. If anything what Girardi did was actually worse since we’re almost guaranteed to have a washout today and perhaps tomorrow as well, you can’t worry about overtaxing your pen when you’re three games under AND chances are good you have an off day coming up.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah that’s basically the same thing that happened in the Nats meltdown a couple years ago, Rojas left in Sewald for too many batters that inning when you knew almost no lead was safe with that pen. If anything what Girardi did was actually worse since we’re almost guaranteed to have a washout today and perhaps tomorrow as well, you can’t worry about overtaxing your pen when you’re three games under AND chances are good you have an off day coming up.

re:  the bolded...EXCELLENT point.  You are right, makes what Girardi did even worse.  

On 5/5/2022 at 12:07 PM, '7' said:

In Scherzers last 18 regular season starts, his team is 18-0. 

In his last 15 regular season games where he got a win or loss decision...15-0

God I hope I didn't jinx him or the team. But Scherzers last regular season loss was May 30th, 2021

It's been mentioned before on other mediums, but guess it was bound to end and it did today.  Fortunately our 1B ace dropped the hammer on the back end of the doubleheader and the Mets didn't let the Phillies take any real momentum out of town

Yeah not going to bitch about having gone 5-1 in the six games over the three doubleheaders played this season.  Kinda weird that with all of the series wins, that there hasn’t been a single sweep in there.

Alonso’s year suddenly looking much better statistically that it’s “felt”…has had some monster games though.  

The Mets winning games and building up a nice cushion has really allowed an ice-cold Lindor to fly under the radar...he's slashed .151/.211/.245 over his last 13 games.  Of course you can find lousy samples within a season for just about everyone...but given how he's played since the 2020 season, hard not to wonder how much he's really going to hit.  Lindor's OPS as a Met is about 100 points lower than it was with Cleveland.  Worrisome.

Trevor Story...yikes:

Red Sox have no one but themselves to blame for Trevor Story (msn.com)

And Javier Baez has basically gone right back to being...Javier Baez...complete with the meh BA, lousy OB%, and plenty of Ks.  Glad the Mets just let him walk (I wouldn't have traded for him in the first place, though he did more at the plate than anyone could have expected while he was here).  

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

and check out what loudmouth Stroman has done. 1-3 with an era over 5.00. And now on the IL

Mets facing the awful Corbin today, this is a series to fatten up on. 

He's basically had three good starts (his last one before landing on the IL was his best) and two bad ones.  Could easily be 3-2 with better luck.

But yeah, my issue with Stroman has always been that he's a pretty good pitcher who acts like he's a WS-winning ace.  He's OK, sometimes good...but not a guy I'd ever want to be locked into for more than a year.  Didn't want him back under any circumstances and I'm glad he's not here.

Yeah, I'd really like to see the Mets sweep this series.  Nationals are already 10 games back.   

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Trevor Story...yikes:

Red Sox have no one but themselves to blame for Trevor Story (msn.com)

And Javier Baez has basically gone right back to being...Javier Baez...complete with the meh BA, lousy OB%, and plenty of Ks.  Glad the Mets just let him walk (I wouldn't have traded for him in the first place, though he did more at the plate than anyone could have expected while he was here).  

You would think Story is hurt or something to be THAT bad. Then again he’s out of Coors so that doesn’t help combined with all the other incoming FA pressure. Makes me more glad we don’t have that drama with Scherzer, Marte, Bassitt, etc

Sorry Brandon, a lot that I love about your game, but take the damned bat off your shoulder in that spot.  Don’t just leave it up to the next guy to try to get the run home.

Soooooo the Mets are already 7 games up on the second-place Braves.  7.5 up on Florida (they’re sinking like a stone, after a surprising start earlier) and Philly…Washington looks like they’re already cooked.  All the Mets have to do is not fvck this up, really…if they go 74-57 (.565 ball) the rest of the way (95 wins), can anyone in the East possibly catch them?  They may not even need that many wins.  

It’s still early and as we well know teams that are struggling sometimes go on serious tears later, but the Braves and Phillies aren’t even playing .500 ball right now…the Braves would have to go 81-40 to reach 95 wins…the Phillies would have to go 82-40.  Basically, if the Mets can manage not to completely collapse, they’re taking this division.  

Was far from a brilliant performance, but the Mets did what they had to do to scratch by a terrible Nats team. Corbin...who's 11-28 with a grotesque ERA over the past 3 seasons, held them to just 3 hits through 5. Frustrating to see...but they came alive in the middle innings

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Soooooo the Mets are already 7 games up on the second-place Braves.  7.5 up on Florida (they’re sinking like a stone, after a surprising start earlier) and Philly…Washington looks like they’re already cooked.  All the Mets have to do is not fvck this up, really…if they go 74-57 (.565 ball) the rest of the way (95 wins), can anyone in the East possibly catch them?  They may not even need that many wins.  

It’s still early and as we well know teams that are struggling sometimes go on serious tears later, but the Braves and Phillies aren’t even playing .500 ball right now…the Braves would have to go 81-40 to reach 95 wins…the Phillies would have to go 82-40.  Basically, if the Mets can manage not to completely collapse, they’re taking this division.  

Those seem like pretty extreme totals, Braves I'm always wary about but 81-40 seems out of their realm. But I'm sure they'll have a 12 wins in 15 games type stretch sometime this summer.

Phillies have thrown a lot of $ around of late trying to buy their way back to relevance, and they've built a pretty solid offense, but their pitching overall is below average...seems like they're destined for somewhere between 79-84 wins when it's all said and done. Unlike the old annoyingly clutch Charlie Manuel Phillies...this Phillies team always seems to come apart in a big spot

And btw can Thor shut the fvck up about what a ‘real’ no hitter is? Congrats that you’re finally pitching again after two years of giving us ugats, the last time you even completed a game yourself was 2019 and you only have three in your entire career. If you want to be bitter we offered you like $3 million less than the Angels, you do you but stay out of this one buddy, last night was about your rookie teammate Detmers, not about YOU

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And btw can Thor shut the fvck up about what a ‘real’ no hitter is? Congrats that you’re finally pitching again after two years of giving us ugats, the last time you even completed a game yourself was 2019 and you only have three in your entire career. If you want to be bitter we offered you like $3 million less than the Angels, you do you but stay out of this one buddy, last night was about your rookie teammate Detmers, not about YOU

Yeah it doesn't get more "jilted ex-girlfriend" than this.  What makes it sad is that it's not like things didn't work out for Noah in the end:

1) Dude, you got a team to take an expensive one-year flier on you, despite the fact that you had barely pitched over the previous two seasons, and were pretty meh the year before that.

2) You're actually able to pitch and are off to a solid start.

3) Your team is in first place, with the fourth-best record in baseball.

And when your teammate accomplishes something historic, your reaction is to take a dig at your old team?  What's always funny is that guys who react this way really believe that they're "getting" you...I can see Noah thinking "Duuuuhhhh, I really showed them with that burn, ha ha, duuuuuuuhhhh..."

Noah, the Mets and their fans have moved on from you, for the exact same reasons that you should have moved on from us.  The Mets are in first place, and the rotation has been largely dynamite.  Annoying me-first drama queens like you, Javier Baez and Marcus Stroman are gone...is it much of a coincidence that the latter two find themselves on losing teams?  And that the Mets are now simply going out and playing winning baseball and all the better, without you and others being here any longer?

Basically it's the ex-girlfriend who gets dumped, quickly meets someone else who is clearly a terrific guy and who treats her very well, but there's a part of her who still pines for the one who left her behind...much as she'll tell everyone that that's absolutely not the case.  Fact is you're not taking digs at your ex if you've truly moved on.