2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Those seem like pretty extreme totals, Braves I'm always wary about but 81-40 seems out of their realm. But I'm sure they'll have a 12 wins in 15 games type stretch sometime this summer.

Phillies have thrown a lot of $ around of late trying to buy their way back to relevance, and they've built a pretty solid offense, but their pitching overall is below average...seems like they're destined for somewhere between 79-84 wins when it's all said and done. Unlike the old annoyingly clutch Charlie Manuel Phillies...this Phillies team always seems to come apart in a big spot

I had it wrong...Braves would have to go 81-50, and the Phillies 82-50 to get to 95 wins.  So not as out of reach as I made it sound previously.  Right now that doesn't seem out of the realm of do-able...yet.

If they're both still struggling to reach .500 with 100 games or so left, and the Mets are, say, 39-23 or something like that...then yeah, gets harder to make a case for the division not already being wrapped up.  But it really remains a case of the Mets continuing to win 5 to 7 games in each 10-game block of the season.  So far:

First block:  7-3

Second block:  7-3

Third block:  6-4

Fourth block (so far):  1-0

They obviously won't finish .500 or better for every block, but all they really have to do is win at a 17-out-of-30-games pace from here on out.  Unless they really get hammered with injuries, that doesn't seem like it's going to be some major task.

Former Met SS Gimenez (of course dealt to the then-Indians in the Lindor deal) is off to a hell of a start, becoming the everyday second baseman:

Andres Gimenez 2022 Batting Game Logs | Baseball-Reference.com

His BABIP is .400, and his K-to-BB ratio is 19 to 2, so this could be a fluke...but for whatever it's worth, he did finish last season on a (limited sample) flourish as well (also with a BABIP of .400).  He's hitting .339 over his last 119 major-league ABs.

Rosario's not doing a whole lot...looks like his OPS from last season (.731) is probably about where he'll top out.  He owns a .705 OPS lifetime.

Suffice it to say that the bloom is coming off Megill’s rose in a hurry.  At least he gave the Mets some good starts initially this year (just like last year).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

A 3-0 lead against a dead Nats franchise and Megill is not even competitive. Did not belong on the mound today. He's been great so far so we have to excuse this...but this was look away humiliating bad. Hopefully it's just a blip on the radar and something isn't wrong with him

Down 5 but facing a pitcher with a 9 era. Let's score some runs. Plenty of baseball left to be played.

16 minutes ago, '7' said:

A 3-0 lead against a dead Nats franchise and Megill is not even competitive. Did not belong on the mound today. He's been great so far so we have to excuse this...but this was look away humiliating bad. Hopefully it's just a blip on the radar and something isn't wrong with him

Down 5 but facing a pitcher with a 9 era. Let's score some runs. Plenty of baseball left to be played.

Well we all know the drill…just about every team is going to win 60 and lose 60.  So the Nats are going to win games here and there.

Would be nice if the Mets could just sweep a series against a lousy team.  Hard to bitch when your team is seven games up and has yet to lose a series though.  

Man the bats have really gone silent…Megill really killed his team tonight.  But sh!t happens.

7 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah another game or two like this and it’ll be obvious who gets pulled from the rotation if Jake gets back, then again Walker isn’t exactly the picture of health either.

Yeah I have no faith in Walker at all.  He was godawful the whole second half of last year, and I would expect the same this year.  I think he’s the lock to get pulled in time.  

Heh heh...gaslight much Noah?  You tried to get a burn in on the Mets and it didn't work out and it made you look petty and bitter...that's OK, not every attempted burn hits its mark.  But don't now act like you weren't going for what you were CLEARLY going for...there's no turning this around.  Hopefully now you can just do you and worry about you and your team:    

Noah Syndergaard claims combined no-hitter dig wasn't a shot at Mets (yahoo.com)

• Haha 1

One last Noah bit...I hadn't realized that his Ks were down so much, and that his average fastball velocity is down, but in his case, that's probably a major blessing, oddly enough.  No more trying to throw every pitch 103 mph...no more just being a thrower, period.  Now he can actually become what we really had all wanted to see him become, as a MET...a PITCHER.  If this version of Noah turns in a solid year, curious to see what kind of offers he gets...if other teams are convinced that he can stay productive AND healthy.  I could definitely see him just staying put in Anaheim...there's certainly worse places you could be.    

One of those innings where it feels like the Mets should've been able to come away with more than two runs.  Especially with Box-O-Chocolates Walker on the mound.

Cano apparently on his way to San Diego for what it’s worth. He’ll probably suck there too…or he won’t and the suspension other foot will almost inevitably drop (and save Cohen from paying the rest of his deal)

Edited by NJDevs4978

38 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Cano apparently on his way to San Diego for what it’s worth. He’ll probably suck there too…or he won’t and the suspension other foot will almost inevitably drop (and save Cohen from paying the rest of his deal)

Yeah, it seems like you these you either get "clean" Cano (who simply isn't any good anymore) or juiced Cano (and if he gets it going, will anyone really believe he suddenly regained his form?).  What's sad is I can totally see him juicing the way some other guys do...they feel like they have no other choice, even if they're likely to get caught.

Four scoreless for Walker so far...one of those guys where maybe you give him a few batters the third time through the order, then bring in someone else.  Still only a three-run lead. 

BTW Lindor rocking a .454 OPS over his last 15 GP.  0-for-2 with a walk today.  Think it's officially time to start worrying about him again.  

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, it seems like you these you either get "clean" Cano (who simply isn't any good anymore) or juiced Cano (and if he gets it going, will anyone really believe he suddenly regained his form?).  What's sad is I can totally see him juicing the way some other guys do...they feel like they have no other choice, even if they're likely to get caught.

Thing is another suspension and he forfeits all the $40 million left on his deal, you would think he’d rather have his career end after another ten sh!tty games than risk that.

30 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Thing is another suspension and he forfeits all the $40 million left on his deal, you would think he’d rather have his career end after another ten sh!tty games than risk that.

Oh I'm not saying there's any rational thought behind it...a guy like Mejia, I can understand him doing it, because he can't possibly earn as much money doing anything else and came from complete sh!t, and when he plays clean, he's not good enough to compete.  Cano already made his money and could continue to make it even if he's awful this year and next.  But I think he wants to prove that he's still has it...problem is, I don't think he has it anymore without help.  Or ever will.

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I think this is even more accurate now lol

Yeah not going to pretend today changes anything, as far as my perception of him goes...but he's done the job today, and it's not like his shutting the Nats down is some luxury...the Met bats haven't done much of anything this game...they really let Adon off pretty light, all things considered.

Surprise surprise, Lindor making yet another out.  As long as the Mets keep taking series and avoiding slumps, he'll fly under the radar for a little while longer.  But not much.  He's now 10-for-his-last-65 AB.  That's really fvcking bad. 

52 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Four scoreless for Walker so far...one of those guys where maybe you give him a few batters the third time through the order, then bring in someone else.  Still only a three-run lead. 

BTW Lindor rocking a .454 OPS over his last 15 GP.  0-for-2 with a walk today.  Think it's officially time to start worrying about him again.  

Yeah, of course we’re stuck with Lindor either way so they have no choice but to run him out there. Dom Smith OTOH needs to shape up or ship out. Nice kid but man he looks like a small sample size fluke at this point.

13 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah, of course we’re stuck with Lindor either way so they have no choice but to run him out there. Dom Smith OTOH needs to shape up or ship out. Nice kid but man he looks like a small sample size fluke at this point.

Oh yeah under no circumstances can they bench Lindor...you Maverick him and keep sending him up and hope he's not as iffy (or disappointing) as he's generally looked since becoming a Met. 

Mildly surprised Buck didn't give Walker the 8th, but can't blame him for erring on the side of caution...especially with a guy prone to the longball. 

And this game has seen 8 Ks combined between the two teams through 8 innings.  Pretty sure they call that "extremely rare" these days, heh heh.

Canha with an important tack-on knock...always nice to make the other team feel like it's now out of reach.  At least one guy brought his bat today...but Nido did knock in a run too.    

So Lugo takes care of business with just 11 pitches in bottom of the 8th, it's a non-save situation, and Diaz is getting the ninth.

He hasn't gotten tons of use this year...it's only his fourth appearance this month, so I guess it's to keep him from getting rusty.  I would've stuck with Lugo, but oh well.

Well the Mets came in 20-10 and the Nats were 10-20, so guess it makes plenty of sense that the Mets would leave 22-11, and the Nats 11-22.  Weird series...one where the Mets did just enough to win it, but not much about it was terribly pretty.  That's OK though...it's like a starting pitcher winning without his best stuff.  The fact is the Mets won ANOTHER series and remain unbeaten in series play.  We'll take it no matter what package that it comes in.  

Kelenic (who's looking more and more like a guy who needs more time in the minors) and his Mariners are up next.