2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Really really needed to hold onto this, just for the fact you dont want the Phils throw a 7-0 comeback back in your face. I was just about to say some nice things about Carrasco too, but there he went totally imploding (and the implosion started at only 70something pitches too)

That was an important one to get. If you look at the rest of the series...Elfin vs Walker, Wheeler vs who knows who. We wouldn't have been in the best of shape the rest of the way if we dropped last night especially in that fashion. Phillies offense can be dangerous and in spurts they can do a lot of damage. They're mired as this .500 ish team underachieving...but I'm always wary of them with that offense. They can be dead for 5 innings and then boom...6 runs in an inning. Especially vs a fragile pitcher like Carrasco or Walker.

Gotta wonder when Atlanta starts to wake up.  Now 22-25 after a loss to the Marlins…still plenty of time for them to go on a rampage, but they’re not doing a thing to make anything easier on themselves.  

Man are the Phillies and/or the Braves going to put up any fight at all here?  Mets are now 8.5 up on the Braves and 9.5 up on the Phillies.  At the very LEAST, the Phils needed to find a way to win two out of three…show SOMETHING.  The Mets have done some good things and keep finding ways to bank wins, but are they really so good that they should be closing in on a double-digit division lead this early in the season?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yeah right now this season has a 2006-type feel to it as far as the division goes…get ahead and stay ahead despite having a bunch of pitching injuries and having to fill in with Pelfrey, Maine and Lima types. I’m not gonna say ‘86 cause that team was clearly dominant in every aspect. I’m not saying this one is doing it with mirrors but right now they’re squeezing every ounce out of what they have.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Juiced balls or not it's nice to see Lindor has an RBI in six straight now

1.211 OPS and 15 RBI over his last 10 GP.  Some luck involved in that (.444 BABIP), but all things considered, even though he’s not the easier guy to embrace, his overall numbers for 2022 thus far have been good (especially the ribbies).  But he’s been red hot or ice cold…not much consistency.

14 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah right now this season has a 2006-type feel to it as far as the division goes…get ahead and stay ahead despite having a bunch of pitching injuries and having to fill in with Pelfrey, Maine and Lima types. I’m not gonna say ‘86 cause that team was clearly dominant in every aspect. I’m not saying this one is doing it with mirrors but right now they’re squeezing every ounce out of what they have.

Yeah the 2022 Mets are definitely not dominant…they play relatively crisp ball (by 2022 standards, anyway), and they have a “just find a way to get the job done” vibe.  And they’re blessed to play in a division where their main adversaries have both dug themselves significant holes.  Until one of those teams can actually sniff .500, I can’t really begin to take them seriously.  Both the Phillies and the Braves have effectively taken the first two months of the season off.  

Not to mention this:

Stroman 2-4, 4.71 ERA in 36.1 IP

Matz 3-3, 6.03 ERA in 37.1 IP and already on the DL

Baez .199 BA, .242 OBP, .312 SLG with 3 HR's and 13 RBI's in 141 AB's...woof

Can't really say much about Conforto at this point but they certainly improved their OF production from what he gave them last year.  Castro and Joely Rodriguez has been basically a wash so far.  Of all the people that left, only Thor's given his new team plus production and he's doing it in a 'non-traditional' way with just 27 K's in 38 IP...maybe he's actually learned how to pitch and manage himself.  Now if he could only manage to stay off Twitter.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah SOOOOOOOOO glad that the Mets never bought into what Baez gave them last season.  I can’t imagine being on the hook for six years of him.  That guy has a lifetime OB% of .304. 

Stroman has been good over his last four starts (for whatever that’s worth), but like I’ve said, at best he’s a good pitcher, but carries himself like he’s a multiple Cy Young Award winner…he's just annoying.  He’s not a guy you bring in and expect to make some big difference.

Matz is a fragile loser (both physically and mentally) and I’m glad things fell through, regarding the possibility of him coming back here.

Yeah looks like Noah’s finally evolved on the mound for now, but it just felt like it was time to move on.  

Oh, also fair to point out the guy that we ALL wanted back (Aaron Loup) has really struggled as of late.  In his last four outings, he’s gone 2 IP and given up 9 hits and 3 BB.  Opponents have clubbed him to the tune of a 1.095 OPS for May.

And Cano has a .274 OPS (“good” for a -18 OPS+).  fvck that cheating zilch.

Jesus Adam could you have thrown bigger fatter meatball pitch on 0-2?!

Annoying because Heaven forbid this team ever sweeps anyone.

* Really not fair to sell this team short, but damn really wanted a sweep of the Phils here.  Could really almost bury them here. *

• Like 1

LOL talk about a guy who you can't trust, this guy makes Diaz look like Rivera.

I was kinda surprised we didn't see Diaz for a four-out save chance tbh with a chance to put the hammer down on the Phillies.  Then again they didn't really have too much else to go to after the unfortunate Drew Smith injury.

Edited by NJDevs4978

There doesn’t seem to be much in-between with Otto…he can be really good some games (looking unhittable), but putrid in others.  That 0-2 pitch was so infuriating.  

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL talk about a guy who you can't trust, this guy makes Diaz look like Rivera.

I was kinda surprised we didn't see Diaz for a four-out save chance tbh with a chance to put the hammer down on the Phillies.  Then again they didn't really have too much else to go to after the unfortunate Drew Smith injury.

These managers (even Buck, who I like quite a bit) are so fvcking by-the-book too often.  Nope, can’t bring the closer in until the ninth.  Maybe it wouldn’t have worked, but I definitely would’ve understood Buck bringing in Diaz for a four-out save.  

Wow…the Mets have really crushed the Phils in complete rip-your-hearts-out fashion.  They may have just killed them.

Escobar needed that. Holy sh!t did he ever. We really need him to get more involved in the offense and driving in runs

I remember seeing the lineup card before the game...who the hell is Nick Plummer!? Well, now I know. When you have moments like that you begin to really think this could be a special season

And what an absolute gut punch sweep for the Phillies. Gotta think major changes are in store there.

The bullpen is a problem and we cannot think that we have all the time in the world to fix it. With what happened to Drew Smith, the mid/late innings are gonna get dicier and dicier. Most times we're not gonna get Nick Plummer magic like today. They really need to fortify things back there. They're gonna lose some bad ones in the future due to the pen, that's a given and we have to prepare for it...luckily we have a nice cushion and a good hitting team.

• Thanks 1

I’m no longer worried about the Phillies…they came up way too small.  The last thing that they ever could’ve afforded was a sweep…especially losing the way that they did in the deciding game.

I can’t say the about the Braves just yet.  Keep waiting for them to go on that “OK, here they come” 10-2 kind of run.

Would be awesome if the Mets could sweep the Nats here…just to have that much more leeway when they go on the Cali road trip.  I would take 4-6 on that trip, honestly.

• Like 1

Yeah hopefully the Mets can at least churn out another series win.  The Braves are in Arizona for three, then after that for the first two weeks of June if the Mets can just get out of that stretch without the Braves taking a big chunk out of the lead, they'll have a nice foundation to build off of for the second half...but that might be the toughest two week stretch in terms of maintaining the lead.

Mets next two weeks (after the Nats) - at Dodgers (4), at Padres (3), at Angels (3), Brewers (3)

Braves next two weeks (after Arizona) - at Rockies (4), A's (2), Pirates (4), at Nationals (3)

Edited by NJDevs4978

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’m no longer worried about the Phillies…they came up way too small.  The last thing that they ever could’ve afforded was a sweep…especially losing the way that they did in the deciding game.

I can’t say the about the Braves just yet.  Keep waiting for them to go on that “OK, here they come” 10-2 kind of run.

Would be awesome if the Mets could sweep the Nats here…just to have that much more leeway when they go on the Cali road trip.  I would take 4-6 on that trip, honestly.

Just want to say fvck the schedule makers. AGAIN back out west. We were just there for 8...now after 6 at home they kick us out west again for 10 with the ultimate gauntlet of LA, SD, and the Angels. Seems like at least a month long (or at least 3 week) break between west coast trips would've been reasonable...this doesn't seem reasonable.

3 hours ago, '7' said:

Just want to say fvck the schedule makers. AGAIN back out west. We were just there for 8...now after 6 at home they kick us out west again for 10 with the ultimate gauntlet of LA, SD, and the Angels. Seems like at least a month long (or at least 3 week) break between west coast trips would've been reasonable...this doesn't seem reasonable.

I actually don’t mind the Mets getting this next trip out of the way, even with the jaunts being rather close together…if you take a look at the rest of their road games, it’s not terribly tough sailing the rest of the way.  It will be kinda nice not to have to deal with a big West Coast swing in July or August (the Braves have one in September).  Of course would’ve been nice to have had even just one of deGrom or Scherzer available, but like I said, go 4-6 and I’ll take it.  They manage 5-5 that’s going to feel like a major win.