2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Also what this run allows us to do is relax a bit regarding the deGrom and Scherzer timelines...nothing needs to be ramped up too quickly, nothing needs to be hurried. Heck we can extend things a bit and hold things back a week or two just to make sure they're truly, fully healed and in the best possible condition to return and pitch

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, '7' said:

Also what this run allows us to do is relax a bit regarding the deGrom and Scherzer timelines...nothing needs to be ramped up too quickly, nothing needs to be hurried. Heck we can extend things a bit and hold things back a week or two just to make sure they're truly, fully healed and in the best possible condition to return and pitch

And of course if the Braves and Phillies continue to struggle to get much above .500...the Mets can be even more patient.  But yeah absolutely zero need for desperation.

It's also nice that the Mets haven't had to make any panic trades either.  The rotation (buoyed by the offense) has been largely good enough.    

• Like 1

Yeah was wondering about Maddon…that team’s season has really unraveled early.  You don’t see losing streaks like that often (unless it’s a TRULY rotten group…say less than 70 wins).  

Yeah hope both are OK…at least Pete’s X-rays came back negative.

Still 3-3 on this trip.  5-5 still within reach.

13 straight losses now for the Angels.  Damn.

Mets have signed outfield Terrance Gore. Very fast and small pinch runner and outfielder. Only 77 MLB plate appearances. It's to a minor league deal of course

Wonder if this portends to something going on with Marte. No doubt he'll be going on the IL, hope for not too long as he's been a godsend to this team. Alonso I'm afraid they'll find something that didn't originally show up on the xray when we all let out a sigh of relief

Edited by '7'

29 minutes ago, '7' said:

Mets have signed outfield Terrance Gore. Very fast and small pinch runner and outfielder. Only 77 MLB plate appearances. It's to a minor league deal of course

Wonder if this portends to something going on with Marte. No doubt he'll be going on the IL, hope for not too long as he's been a godsend to this team. Alonso I'm afraid they'll find something that didn't originally show up on the xray when we all let out a sigh of relief

Having an 8-game cushion means the Mets can at least wait a bit before pursuing any bigger-time replacements.  The injuries suck, without question, but every team seems to have to deal with them these days.

They have an off-day tomorrow and then another one on Monday...I'd say they're sorely needed (pun definitely intended).  More than ever, a 5-5 trip will feel like a major win.  

Easy to forget that this team has still lost all of two series the entire season.  TWO!  And still haven't been swept yet (or lost three in a row)...they've lost two in a row just three times.

Once the Mets are done with the Brewers, the schedule eases up a LOT:

4 vs Miami

2 @ Houston

3 @ Miami

2 vs Houston

3 vs Texas

3 @ Cincinnati

4 vs Miami

Every team on that list that isn't the Astros is currently under .500.  Mets should be able to win at least 13 out of these 21 games, provided they don't get too banged up.

Re:  the Reds...they've somewhat quietly gone 17-13 in their last 30 GP.  Of course they weren't going to continue winning 3 out of every 25 GP...but not a team to necessarily take too lightly.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Certainly is nice to see Cinci and finally Miami show up (not that I enjoy playing in that late inning house of horrors in Miami) Houston would also be a good test of the Mets mettle. The Mets have had 24 games vs teams who going into that game had an above .500 record...they've gone. 14-10 in those games. They've answered the bell and every single time looked like they belonged. I can't remember a single series (as would happen vs Atlanta back in the day) where the Mets just looked like pretenders and got outplayed, outpitched, and outmanaged from the get-go.

Yeah considering that deGrom has yet to throw a regular season pitch and Scherzer is missing significant time, there's really nothing to complain about.  Like '7' said, it's not like the better teams have had their way with the Mets in 2022, which might have been a bit of a smoking gun.

I can't say enough about Buck...he brings this almost sleepy kind of "cool" with him...considering his longevity in MLB, even though he's never won a World Series, there's just something about him that makes you trust him, and not worry.  You feel like the Mets are in competent hands.

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah realistically the Mets goal over this West Coast trip was not to let a double-digit lead get to under five, given the Braves beating up on the sisters of the poor over the last week.

The Braves are over .500 for the moment, but I still need to see a lot more from them before I think "Game on!"  They're to the point where they really have to keep pace...they've managed to shave 2.5 games off the Mets' lead for now, but if 2-3 weeks go by and the Braves are back to being 10+ games behind...not good.

BTW for comparison's sake, the 1986 Mets were 8 games up on the Expos...on June 24.  And 10.5 up on July 10.  They really pulled away for good after that.

Not looking good though a long way to go. They really look like the Alonso/Marte injuries just shell-shocked the team. Sucked the life out of them. Somebody needs to step up and get the offense going

Mets seriously lucked out (it seems) with both Pete and Starling labeled Day to Day

Looks like it’s all going the Padres’ way tonight.  Sucks, but not like the Mets are going to win every series from here on out.  Catch your breath on Thurs and then get it going against the Angels.

47 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

About time Jeremy.

Bloom’s coming off Bassitt some.  

Yeah I'll say...21 ER allowed in his last 26 innings, woof.  We went pretty quickly from 'wow at least this guy can pretend to be an ace for a while' to 'thank god he's only the 4th starter at best when everyone's healthy'

Edited by NJDevs4978

Here's how I'm looking at the season:

Imagine being told that deGrom isn't likely to make his first start until July.

Then you're told Max Scherzer will go down in mid-May and probably won't pitch again until July.

The fill-ins will be guys like Tylor Megill, David Peterson, and Trevor Williams.

Trevor May will first be awful, then be finished.

Dominic Smith will be so bad offensively that he'll be sent down to AAA.

Robinson Cano will be so bad all-around that he'll be released.

McCann’s bat will be lifeless before he also winds up missing significant time.

Is any Met fan expecting 38-21 and to be up by 7 games based on the above?!

As bad as the last two nights were (and maybe June could be a tougher month), things could be a hell of a lot worse.  

And of course, the best things about losses...as ugly as some of them are, they all count the same.  And if the Mets win tomorrow, that's a 6th straight ten-game stretch with a winning record.

LGMFM!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

And on top of it all the Angels lost 1-0, seems like a total bottoming out. Really worried that they're just so due and we're really starting to sputter with a dead lifeless offense now with Marte and Alonso out. 

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And btw I know they're due for a couple wins, but my goodness it'd be tough to lose a series to the Angels when they have the immortal JUAN LAGARES batting fifth tonight.

I had no idea he was still in baseball. Seriously. Like when I found out Ollie Perez was still around

Hansel Robles who was a pathetic point at the sky as the ball goes into the 2nd deck disaster actually went to the Angels right after the Mets kicked him to the curb and somehow was excellent for a season and a half (little over 100 innings) in relief before falling apart in 2020.

• Like 1

I know there's still a cushion here but it's getting old real fvcking fast seeing both the Braves and the Phillies refuse to lose again (eight and seven-game winning streaks, respectively).  Just gotta ride out this Phillies new manager surge and the Braves' little sisters of the poor surge I suppose.

Edited by NJDevs4978

5 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I know there's still a cushion here but it's getting old real fvcking fast seeing both the Braves and the Phillies refuse to lose again (eight and seven-game winning streaks, respectively).  Just gotta ride out this Phillies new manager surge and the Braves' little sisters of the poor surge I suppose.

Yeah I’m more concerned with the Mets at the point than about the Braves and Phillies…good for them that they’ve both finally got hot, but still plenty of work for both of them to do.

Megill comes back tonight and Scherzer is apparently making strides.  The fact is the Mets managed to do pretty damned well with some key guys out.  

Mets just gotta keep winning 6 out of 10.  And the Angels finally snapped their losing streak, for whatever that’s worth.  

Nido and Canha with some big hits after it looked like we'd waste 1st and 3rd and 0 outs...had Alonso up with the bases loaded but could do no more damage. Hope it doesnt come back to haunt us.