2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Yankees just 9-13 over their last 22, and 21-20 over their last 41.  Mets now 66-38 on the season, Yanks 70-36.  Only mentioning this because I honestly never saw the Mets ever getting that close to them record-wise…now only 2 games behind them in the loss column.

And nice to have a 3.5 game lead headed into this series…Mets can lose four games and still be in first place…I’ll be plenty pissed if that happens, but at least there’s no chance of them being left in the dust regardless of what happens.

Francisco Alvarez appears to be adjusting to AAA ball…he’s put up an 1.078 OPS over his last 11 games there.  I know Eppler’s said the Mets have no plans to bring him up this year, but man, if he keeps that up, and the current catchers with the big club keep not hitting (for the most part)…how the hell do they not give Alvarez a look?

They were starting to float that maybe calling up Alvarez would be an option if they struck out with getting a catcher at the deadline.  Maybe that was just public posturing or maybe they've seen enough of him at AAA with Max's input to change their mind?

Thing is now he HAS to play at catcher, before you could at least justify calling him up by saying he could play DH and not give him the extra responsibility of calling games, but with the Vogelruf platoon that isn't really an option.

Edited by NJDevs4978

45 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

They were starting to float that maybe calling up Alvarez would be an option if they struck out with getting a catcher at the deadline.  Maybe that was just public posturing or maybe they've seen enough of him at AAA with Max's input to change their mind?

Thing is now he HAS to play at catcher, before you could at least justify calling him up by saying he could play DH and not give him the extra responsibility of calling games, but with the Vogelruf platoon that isn't really an option.

I can see them taking the "Call up Alvarez" route if the team needs a shot in the arm.  As much as it's tough watching the catchers not doing all that much more in the 9 hole than many pitchers, the fact is that the collection of salami bats is not really hurting them.  They're 19-9 since the start of July.  If the Mets lose, say, 4 out of 5 to the Braves, and Nido's coming up in important spots and not getting any runs home, and Alvarez does some more rakin'....maybe then they say fvck it, let's give this kid a look up here.

And yeah, obviously more than just being a bat...pitchers will have be comfortable throwing to him.  From all accounts, they do seem to like working with Nido and McCann (when McCann's actually healthy enough to play).  

Syndergaard to make his Phillies debut tonight, against the Nats.  Definitely a good opponent to break in against!

Naquin and Vogelbach apparently trying to make Eppler look like a genius tonight.  

• Shocking 1

Noah with a pretty meh first game with the Phillies:  5 IP, 11 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.  That game’s currently in a rain delay.

Ok Edwin…do your thing.  

Well second inning was tougher, but Diaz gets it done.  Probably won’t have him tomorrow night, but hopefully he’s available for the DH.

Mets will still be in first, no matter what, after this series is over.  Works for me!  Great job in holding them off to seal the win.

Can’t ask from any more in tonight’s game, would have been nice not to have to use Diaz for two but then again he was likely only gonna be available for three of the five games anyway with the doubleheader and four straight days against Atlanta.

Holy crap this Vogelbach will probably have about 18 Seven-Line or whatever (fan made) shirts celebrating his visage in no time. Portly dudes who hit dingers become cult heroes

A 3-0 check swing worm killer? Hey they may have won a World Series last year, but the Bobby Cox Braves arent doing that.

46 minutes ago, '7' said:

And the Nats knocked Noah around last nigh. Sure it was a cheap 5 inning 5-4 win, but they got to him. He will never scare me in any situation

Yeah he’s not “Thor” anymore.  He can still have some strong games, but his dominant days are behind him.  And his career has always been odd, in that even at his best, for some reason he’s never been much of a hit suppressor…he offset that some with keeping his walks down, but he’s always been surprisingly hittable.

And yeah, obviously very early in Vogelbach’s time here, but that is the kind of guy who can become popular in a hurry.  It doesn’t hurt that he’s being put in the best possible position to succeed…as in having him avoid lefties as much as possible.  He does seem like a guy who can thrive in a strict platoon situation.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

And man I had no idea how bad Vogelbach is against lefties.  Against righties for his career, he owns an .827 OPS (.238 BA).  Against lefties, he’s put up a .486 OPS (.135 BA).  He basically doesn’t hit lefties at all.

He has limitations, but can definitely one of those guys who can enjoy a nice burst, when used properly.  I can see him having some magic this year, but not so sure that if he was here in 2023 from the start, that it would be the same.  Just going to enjoy this while it lasts.  

I know he’s been good overall this season but no way I trust Walker in big spots.  Way to kill your team pal.

How fvcking STUPID was that?!  Getting thrown out at home down seven runs?!  When the bases would have remained loaded?  REALLY?!

At least bad games like this only count once in the standings.

Sh!t tag by Lindor there.  At least the call stood. 

Kinda sorta on the verge of becoming a game here.  Welcome aboard Ruf!

And even Escobar gets into the act!  8-5.  It’s a game.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Not their night ultimately…suddenly everyone’s whiffing.  Not like anyone was expecting a 5-game sweep…if they take 3 of 5, think we’d all be pretty happy.