2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Mets do have that way of cashing in on softer-contact hits.  Wheeler’s gotta think “How did these guys get five friggin’ runs off me today?!”

Bassitt obviously did a great job getting out of some serious jams…just hope that the ‘pen isn’t too gassed.

Make that six runs off Wheeler.  Tommy Boy with the nice blast!

Marlins obviously remember last minute that they shouldn’t beat the Braves lmao.  They’ll go down meekly in the bottom of the 9th I’m sure.

Joely gonna Joely.  Another mop-up guy who can’t get it done…at least he did get two outs with giving up a run.  

Man if I’m the Phillies I’m pissed that that Strike 3 call ends the game.  Looked outside…of course we’ll take it!

Interesting...

Mets considering major roster move for push into postseason (msn.com)

The bad news is that apparently Baty is a butcher at third...I didn't know that about him.

5 minutes ago, point said:

I would refrain from describing bringing up a prospect from Syracuse as a "major roster move"; but the phrase is good click bait.  Are his errors fielding or throwing?

He’s one of their top prospects, so bringing him up would be a big deal to Mets fans…he’s a name we’ve been hearing about.  I’d have to do more digging to know what types of errors he’s making.

I know Carlos had kept the bad outings at bay lately, but let’s face it…he’s the most hittable.  Come playoff time, I’ll feel much more comfortable with Max, Jake (ok those two are no-brainers), and Bassitt.  Admittedly if I had to choose between Carrasco and Walker, not sure which way I would go.  Either one seems capable of imploding in any given start.  And Carrasco’s been outpitching his peripherals for a while now…he’s due for some regression.

Doesn’t help when friggin’ Cahna completely fvcks his team over.  Jesus H.

13 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Why bring him back after a long rain delay? Now he’s injured and left early regardless 

Given the number of games that they have coming up (no days off and a DH this Saturday), I understood where Buck was coming from.  And Strider was able to pitch after coming back from the delay with no issues.

When your team goes 17-3 over its previous 20 games, easy to not get too aggravated after a loss like yesterday's...game basically felt like it was over at 3-0 anyway (not selling the Mets short, of course they've shown the ability to come back, but sometimes you can just tell the energy just isn't there).  If the Braves fatten up on some of the "B" relievers, so be it.  

I know all of the winning has allowed Givens to fly under the radar, but man that deal looks like total a$$ so far.  Eppler better hope that May pitches well, because with a lot of good arms out there for the taking, he basically wound up with a guy who looks like he's going to be a "take the lumps" guy so that some of the other guys don't get wasted in lost-cause kinds of games.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

And props to Ruf for getting six outs.  That’s six outs that an actual reliever didn’t have to get.

And of course much has been made about the Yankee struggles as of late, but despite going 2–10 over their last 12, they’ve only seen two games evaporate off their division lead.  Apparently no one in the AL East is capable of stepping up, even a little. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And props to Ruf for getting six outs.  That’s six outs that an actual reliever didn’t have to get.

And of course much has been made about the Yankee struggles as of late, but despite going 2–10 over their last 12, they’ve only seen two games evaporate off their division lead.  Apparently no one in the AL East is capable of stepping up, even a little. 

Yeah it's always tempting to say Ruf made a few guys in the bullpen look silly and I have no patience for a guy like Givens at this point, much less Joely who basically has been a two-hit wonder this year (part of the no-hitter, his 2+ innings in the final game against the Braves at Citi)

35 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Deven Marrero and Michael Perez starting a big game against the Braves, not exactly what you want.  If it was the Braves management, it'd be Baty and Alvarez starting.

Yeah I'd expect this from Rip Van Sandy and the Wilpons.  It's a bit disappointing that it's happening under this regime.  Especially since this team really needs to be all-in this season...it's not a young team, and a lot of guys could be leaving...and even if some guys were retained, no assurances that they'll be as good next year.  This is not a "built to last" kind of team.

• Like 1

Guess the baseball gods remembered to start fvcking with the Mets again.  Taijuna out after two innings.

Looks like it’s gonna be up to Max and Jake.  Obviously plenty of time in this game, but not feelin’ good about this one.

Wouldn’t mind if Jeff McNeil came up with big hits a little more and got pissed off a little less.  I know on the surface this has looked like a pretty good year for him (and he racked up some hits last night of course), but he’s kinda reminded me of post-2008 David Wright at times.

No panic yet, even if they split the next two games with Atlanta, I’ll take it.  Just don’t get swept.

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wouldn’t mind if Jeff McNeil came up with big hits a little more and got pissed off a little less.  I know on the surface this has looked like a pretty good year for him (and he racked up some hits last night of course), but he’s kinda reminded me of post-2008 David Wright at times.

No panic yet, even if they split the next two games with Atlanta, I’ll take it.  Just don’t get swept.

Re:  McNeil, just about all of his "clutch" numbers are quite good...except for late and close (.461 OPS) and tie game (.651).  That's why he doesn't feel as productive as he's been overall...coming up small in a number of the more crucial spots.