2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

The SNY Sports Nite dorks were a tad ridiculous last night, in criticizing the Mets…not like they’re going to win every last damned game on their schedule.  Sometimes teams just friggin’ lose.  Considering the big comeback they had the day before (against a division rival no less), think the talking heads could’ve eased up. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

22 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Almost feels like the Mets got too cute for their own good here, pushing Jake back two days, using Joely against a bunch of righties, etc 

Yeah kinda feels like now they’d better come back strong after tomorrow, and sweep the Rockies.  Especially with the Dodgers coming up after that.

And yeah the Braves aren’t going away.  Think the Mets could’ve treated this game with more urgency.

Don’t really want to be too hard on Pete, and players do slump, but he’s very quiet lately, for the most part.  Hopefully he gets going against these lesser teams.

Vogelbach has obviously had some fun moments here, but good lord man, lose some friggin’ weight!  You’re a professional baseball player…no one can tell me that that guy’s actually in shape 

35 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Still trying to make Joely Rodriguez a thing, are we?

Eppler talking the talk but hardly walking the walk re:  going after a legit reliever could really wind up haunting this team come the postseason.  Basically, the guys who are stiffs (May, Rodriguez, etc) have largely pitched like stiffs.  

Anyway, sucks to lose two games in the standings so quickly, but 13 games in 12 days is no joke…feels like this team used up most of their remaining energy on Sunday.  They seem flat-out gassed.

Chill out during the off day tomorrow, and come back refreshed.  

I just think the Mets are gassed, a stretch like this vs good teams (something like 18 of the last 21 vs Phillies/Braves/NYY) the injuries that they've dealt with of late...not major crippling but it had an impact...they have that epic comeback again at CBP and have to turn around and go to Yankee Stadium the next day. Seems like they absolutely just hit a wall

The lead is going to be 1.5 as the Pirates will be forfeiting against the Braves once again, but hopefully this Rockies series is a chance for them to get well. Huge game for deGrom coming up

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

Felt nice for the floundering Yankees to get a little revenge on the Mets for earlier this season. Thank god they didn't face deGrom. 

2 of the no-doubt 4 best teams in baseball if you ask me, especially if this is a sign the Yankees are crawling out of whatever the hell they did in july and august. How do you guys feel about your collision course with the Dodgers?

If the Dodgers have their way with the Mets, fair to wonder if the Mets are a little more of a regular season juggernaut...BUT, to be fair, Mets do have a solid record against winning teams.  And are 9-7 against the Braves, with one series left to play. 

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

Felt nice for the floundering Yankees to get a little revenge on the Mets for earlier this season. Thank god they didn't face deGrom. 

2 of the no-doubt 4 best teams in baseball if you ask me, especially if this is a sign the Yankees are crawling out of whatever the hell they did in july and august. How do you guys feel about your collision course with the Dodgers?

I can’t even think about that right now, especially with the damn Braves being like Jason from Friday the 13th - just keeps coming back for more. They’ve ruined too many Met seasons for me to care about the Dodgers atm. Right now the goal is somehow holding onto this division where we can at least ensure we don’t have to beat BOTH LA and Atlanta in the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I can’t even think about that right now, especially with the damn Braves being like Jason from Friday the 13th - just keeps coming back for more. They’ve ruined too many Met seasons for me to care about the Dodgers atm. Right now the goal is somehow holding onto this division where we can at least ensure we don’t have to beat BOTH LA and Atlanta in the playoffs.

It really is amazing, what the Braves have been able to do...it's almost like they said to the Mets "C'mon, we'll give you a REALLY big head start this time!"

The Mets started off 33-17, through 50 games.  They've gone 46-29 since...that's a .613 clip, and a 99-win pace.  So it not like the Mets have had this horrible massive drop off in the slightest.

The friggin' Braves have gone 54-21 since starting 23-27...that's a friggin' 117-win pace.  In MLB terms, that's basically coming up on a half-season's worth of playing perfect ball.  The only really hiccup during that time that registers was losing 4 out of 5 to the Mets...hell, that series is the reason that the Braves haven't pulled ahead.

One thing we've absolutely learned for certain...the Mets can't count on ANY help from anyone else here.  It's scary to think that more 6-4 runs per 10 games might actually NOT be enough to hold that Braves team off.  They've been that friggin' good this season for that friggin' long. 

How exactly did the Pirates sweep the Dodgers again?!  And go 5-1 against them?

That's a team that the Mets just have to completely own, same as the Braves just did.  Mets have seven games against them, and Pitt is 9-27 over their last 36 GP. 

WIN THEM ALL.  Anything less than 6-1 against them is unacceptable.    

• Like 1

Lugo struck out the side, which helped…but yeah, of course it had to be scary…bases loaded and a 3-2 count on the final hitter.

Hope last night (and the softer schedule) gets Pete going.  His dinger was a monster shot.

Everything is set up for the Mets to take this thing home, as long as they stay relatively healthy...Charmin-soft September schedule, and a chance to beat the Braves head-to-head in a late-season series.

Someone worth watching:  Diaz.  He's looked a bit mortal lately...in his last four appearances (4 IP), he's allowed 3 hits and 4 walks, striking out 5.  He hasn't blown any saves, but he may be coming back to Earth some.

Thanks again for Givens.  Way to address a need Eppler.

This useless fvcking zilch can NEVER be used in high leverage situations.  As in ever.  Bury this loser and use him in lost cause games.  

Well Canha bails out Givens-Up-The-Lead.  But goddamn I am still so furious with that absolute nothing of a pitcher.  fvck that guy.

Kind of a surprise announcement at the end of the intros that Willie Mays’ #24 is being retired. I wouldn’t have thought to do it since Willie was only a symbolic Met at the end of his career but if it is something the original owner (Joan Payson) wanted well, vaya con dios and at least the man is still alive for the honor

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Absolutely mind-boggling

One of those stats that make you realize that these 2022 Mets have had some good fortune that may very well be limited to 2022.  All the more reason to get frustrated if the bullpen winds up becoming this team’s undoing come postseason.  

Yeah I don't think Trevor Williams is sustainable...probably a one-hit wonder like Darren Oliver in 2006 (well with us anyway, he had some solid years after too), Pat Mahomes with Bobby V or Terry Leach in the late '80's but Peterson might have developed into at least a solid ML pitcher.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Cards beat the Braves on a bases-loaded walk.  Mets up by three games.  Finally, the Braves not only lose, but lose a game that was in their grasp.

36 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah I don't think Trevor Williams is sustainable...probably a one-hit wonder like Darren Oliver in 2006 (well with us anyway, he had some solid years after too), Pat Mahomes with Bobby V or Terry Leach in the late '80's but Peterson might have developed into at least a solid ML pitcher.

Pete will likely get a shot to stick in the rotation next year…no way that starting five is coming back intact next year.