2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Sorry boys, know you’re not going to win every game, but ya gotta do better than three hits and no runs against the fvcking Rockies.  

That was absolutely pathetic, to lose 1-0 and get 3 hits with a chance to expand the lead to 4 games (and the Cards did their job, beating the Braves again) and they totally don't even show up at the ballpark. I mean German Marquez really? We can't score 2 runs off of German Marquez

The Dodgers are up next, while the Rockies will be rolling over and dying for Atlanta. Good thing is after LA, the Mets have a very very easy schedule for about 3 weeks. 

If we can get out of the LA series and be 2 games back I will be feeling good about the stretch run. LA scares me...they've gone into juggernaut mode. Something like 43-10 in their last 53. if they can win 2 here I would be absolutely elated

Also potential good news here..,

https://www.si.com/mlb/mets/news/new-york-carlos-carrasco-expects-to-return-to-rotation-earlier-than-planned

Edited by '7'

On 8/27/2022 at 5:12 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

Kind of a surprise announcement at the end of the intros that Willie Mays’ #24 is being retired. I wouldn’t have thought to do it since Willie was only a symbolic Met at the end of his career but if it is something the original owner (Joan Payson) wanted well, vaya con dios and at least the man is still alive for the honor

Yea. I mean I never really thought of him as a Met or an integral part of Mets history. Just a cool footnote that he played here...not somebody whose number should be retired. However after finding out that it was promised to him by Payson then I can see Cohen sort of trying to right a wrong here. Since Mays was a Met only 3 guys have worn it it. Cano...Rickey Henderson. So two baseball greats (though Cano's career is now clouded with PED's) and one scrub who wore 24 in the early 90s and was pressured to change it due to backlash it seems. Really for the last 30+ years they have only issued it when they have a veteran big name potential Cooperstown players who has a history of wearing that number.

Stengel having his number retired bugs me. His impact on the franchise wasn't big enough to warrant that

Edited by '7'

Re:  yesterday...sometimes ya don't have it.  But yeah, doesn't make it any less frustrating...if, say, Max had a rare bad start and gave up 5 runs or so, I wouldn't have been that annoyed...but like you said '7', can't score one damned run?  But it happens.  At least the Braves didn't take advantage.  

The Mets are kind of a mish-mosh when it comes to retired numbers, really...there's Seaver and Piazza, and everyone else.  I don't mind one bit that Keith's number was retired because he brought a hell of lot to the Mets (his fielding acumen was insane), but I don't think it was absolutely necessarily for that to happen either.  If Gooden and Strawberry ever get theirs put up, I'm going to be in complete "WTF why?!" mode.  Both did some great things, but both should have better than they were...both had Hall-of-Fame talent.  

50 minutes ago, '7' said:

fwiw Naquin who started off so well here...is a pitiful 2 for his last 27 at the plate. With just two walks during that stretch which dates back to Aug 12th. Automatic out when he's at the plate

Seems like he whiffs a lot too.

And yeah, indeed he does...16 K in his last 29 PA, to go with a .212 OPS.  Yikes.

Dodgers lost Tony Gonsolin (forearm issue...never a good sign) he's been having an insane season. 16-1. Missing him will be a big plus for us

Phillies were up 7-0 last night in the middle innings and LOSE 13-7. About as crushing as it gets. If they don't make the postseason there are going to be a lot of games they look back upon and shake their heads

Cards could be a sneaky good threat this year. 25-10 in their last 35. Goldschmidt and Arenado are absolute monsters this year. Guys like Brendan Donovan are tough tough outs who grind out AB's and get on base. Even Pujols...22 hits in his last 49 ab's

Edited by '7'

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Dodgers lost Tony Gonsolin (forearm issue...never a good sign) he's been having an insane season. 16-1. Missing him will be a big plus for us

Phillies were up 7-0 last night in the middle innings and LOSE 13-7. About as crushing as it gets. If they don't make the postseason there are going to be a lot of games they look back upon and shake their heads

Cards could be a sneaky good threat this year. 25-10 in their last 35. Goldschmidt and Arenado are absolute monsters this year. Guys like Brendan Donovan are tough tough outs who grind out AB's and get on base. Even Pujols...22 hits in his last 49 ab's

Yeah Cards are one of those teams that’s largely flown under the radar…especially with the Mets, Braves, and Dodgers getting most of the attention.

And it’s been mentioned before but you realize how many bad teams there are…teams happily embracing tanking.   And given that there’s no difference in winning 60 games or 80 games (other than draft position) and that you can win 60 on a very light payroll, I get it.  But not so good for MLB.

Phillies are firmly in “Pretty Good” territory.  But clearly third-best in their own division.  They have 7 games coming up against the Braves (6-6 against them so far)…we’ll see if they can keep playing the Braves tough.  

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

We also played the Cards too early in the year to get a true read on them for October, especially after the Yankees of all teams gifted them a frontline starter and Pujols has apparently found the fountain of youth 

Pujols is rocking a 1.235 OPS over his last 32 GP (23 starts and 103 PA).  That's a hell of a way to go out.  

11 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Guess the clock's striking midnight on Billy's moneyball offensive acquisitions, Ruf and Naquin have been straight awful as Mets and Vogelbach's been struggling since his hammy started acting up.

You mean one guy who's hit less than .220 for his career and two other guys who've hit less than .250 for their careers are struggling to hit?  That's the problem with Sandyball...as much as the new cool thing to do is to completely ignore batting averages and get all excited about guys who occasionally draw walks and hit home runs, you do gotta hit SOME.  I get that they were going to be put in the best possible position to succeed here (keeping Vogelbach away from lefties, etc), but the problem with those low-BA guys is that when they go cold, they go COLD.  As in never seeming to get a hit, and whiffing constantly...but, those guys do tend to fatten up against the crap teams, and the Mets have plenty of those to face in September.

Alonso with a .588 OPS over his last 21 GP.  And that's really hurting the Mets right now...hope he picks it back up again soon.

Joely...well that guy sucks.  Sucks even more that he constantly gets chance after chance to show us just how much.

Not feeling panicked at the moment...helps that the Braves have failed to take advantage the last couple of games.  32 games left...if the Mets go 18-14 (seems very reasonable given the opponents on tap), Braves would have to go 22-10.  So basically they still have to remain hot to take the East.  And of course if the Mets get into 19-13 or better territory, makes it that much harder on the Braves.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Thanks 1

Remind me again how disastrous it would have been if A-Rod and his ex-narcissist diva had bought the Mets...

Rumor: Alex Rodriguez ‘scrambling’ to come up with his half of money to buy Timberwolves (msn.com)

• Shocking 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Remind me again how disastrous it would have been if A-Rod and his ex-narcissist diva had bought the Mets...

Rumor: Alex Rodriguez ‘scrambling’ to come up with his half of money to buy Timberwolves (msn.com)

It would have been a bigger disaster than Vanderbeek with the Devils, another guy whose eyes were too big for his head because of his fandom 

Aw man sucks for the kid.

Mets getting some hits off a tough pitcher…good to see, because there’s a part of me that wonders how much they’re going to hit in the playoffs…especially with the gaggle of Sandy Specials that were brought in.  Those guys tend to go full Nick Swisher come playoff time.

deGrom’s obviously been plenty beastly overall, but seems like once the sixth inning rolls around, he suddenly becomes a bit more vulnerable so far this year.  Which sadly gives some of the ‘pen the chance to blow his games.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Damn Nimmo might’ve just had his signature moment as a Met…and it came in the field no less.  What a fvcking grab!

Team needs to start scoring some runs…but the arms you’d want out there in 2022 sure as hell got the job done.  Big big win.  

And check out deGrom’s video game numbers since the start of last year:

128.1 IP, 57 H, 19 ER, 14 BB, 201 K

If only you could count on him staying healthy…

Damn, Rockies made their game against the Braves kinda interesting there at the end.  Still three games up.