2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

What can you say...an absolutely critical victory (particularly since Atlanta won) and a brilliant play by Nimmo. Strange to see them actually WIN a game where they make a spectacular outfield catch in too. Usually that's a moment that precludes a gut wrenching loss.

The offense is still dragging along. Only 8 runs scored in our last 4 games...luckily they've gone 2-2 in that stretch. deGrom just showed how valuable and brilliant he is last night. 

Atlanta certainly wasn't going to lose another one (when is the last time they lost 3 in a row anyway...) but another game bleeds off the calendar and they're no closer than 3, and we're almost out of this nightmare stretch of having to play one good team after another. Still one more to go with LA (kershaw vs Bassitt) maybe they can scratch out a win today but Kershaw is the last guy you want to see when your offense is in a hitting slump.

Edited by '7'

FWIW, the Mets have played the Dodgers to a draw…they’ve gone 3-3 against them, with the Dodgers outscoring them 21-20.  But the Pirates somehow went 5-1 against the Dodgers, so there’s that too.

Big series win.  And yeah it’s not like regular season series wins mean everything (just ask the 1988 Mets, who went 10-1 against the Dodgers), but the Mets do need the wins to continue to stave off the Braves, and sure as hell can’t hurt to feel like you can go toe-to-toe with a team like the Dodgers.

Diaz continues to look a bit more human lately, but to his credit, these hiccups are not turning into all-out disasters by any stretch.  Getting out of his inning today with only one run allowed was a solid escape job.

We know about all of the patsies coming up…16 straight games coming up against complete also-rans.  If the Mets can go 11-5 in those games, I think they pretty much lock up the East.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Still can't believe Billy gave up FOUR guys for this stiff at the deadline.  At least with Vogelbach he only gave up one guy.

Yeah Ruf just looks worthless.  Really does feel like Sandy had some serious input in those deals.   We’ve been over it…that type of hitter can disappear for games on end.  And that’s why Sandy’s teams could be so frustrating to watch…build around Doofus and Bruce types and the whole TEAM can disappear for weeks on end.  

11 hours ago, '7' said:

What can you say...an absolutely critical victory (particularly since Atlanta won) and a brilliant play by Nimmo. Strange to see them actually WIN a game where they make a spectacular outfield catch in too. Usually that's a moment that precludes a gut wrenching loss.

The offense is still dragging along. Only 8 runs scored in our last 4 games...luckily they've gone 2-2 in that stretch. deGrom just showed how valuable and brilliant he is last night. 

Atlanta certainly wasn't going to lose another one (when is the last time they lost 3 in a row anyway...) but another game bleeds off the calendar and they're no closer than 3, and we're almost out of this nightmare stretch of having to play one good team after another. Still one more to go with LA (kershaw vs Bassitt) maybe they can scratch out a win today but Kershaw is the last guy you want to see when your offense is in a hitting slump.

Three games back doesn’t sound so far away, but you are 100% right, every day another day ticks off the season, that makes it that much harder on the Braves, with only 30 games left on the schedule.  

If the Mets play .500 ball, the Braves gotta go 19-11.

If the Mets play .600 ball, the Braves gotta go 23-7.

Basically, as long as the Mets don’t collapse, the Braves gotta keep doin’ a lotta winnin’.  

On 9/1/2022 at 7:41 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Big series win.  And yeah it’s not like regular season series wins mean everything (just ask the 1988 Mets, who went 10-1 against the Dodgers), but the Mets do need the wins to continue to stave off the Braves, and sure as hell can’t hurt to feel like you can go toe-to-toe with a team like the Dodgers.

Diaz continues to look a bit more human lately, but to his credit, these hiccups are not turning into all-out disasters by any stretch.  Getting out of his inning today with only one run allowed was a solid escape job.

We know about all of the patsies coming up…16 straight games coming up against complete also-rans.  If the Mets can go 11-5 in those games, I think they pretty much lock up the East.

Just mentioning 1988 drives me nuts.

1 hour ago, point said:

Just mentioning 1988 drives me nuts.

That was sooooooo rough, agreed.  Scioscia hitting that damned HR off Gooden…just a killer.  I was a college freshman living off campus…Game 7 was basically over before it began.  Darling had next to nothing, and Hershiser slammed the door shut.  I had ordered a pizza, and by the time it arrived, the game was basically finished.  

Mets take care of biz last night…hopefully all of the crap teams allows Alonso to fatten up, because he was awfully quiet against the good teams recently.

As for today…yeah, Corbin’s terrible, but his numbers against winning teams in 2022 are simply off-the-charts rotten:

15 starts, 1-13 W-L, 62.1 IP, 110 H (?!), 61 ER, 19 HR, 28 BB, 2.21 WHIP, 1.071 OPS against

Basically, no excuses today.  This is one the Mets simply have to win…one of those games that should be over by the fifth inning, at the latest.  

• Shocking 1

Guys…this is Patrick Corbin!  Figure him out please…because pretty much everyone else has.

Give me the good old days when baseball players weren’t so fvcking delicate.

I dont know if it is sad or amusing at this point, but that gambling web site that advertises "baseball is back!. Pitchers hitting grand slams!"

What odds do they give on that? With th DH in both leagues this year, that just aint gonna happen. A ctually the last pitcber to hit a grand slam was Jim Lonberg for the Phillies... in 1974.

• Haha 1

Yeah the only pitcher still hitting at the moment is Ohtani…although not like he’s the typical hitting pitcher of course.  

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Give me the good old days when baseball players weren’t so fvcking delicate.

They were paid peanuts, threw 200 innings, and had dead arms after five years.

Its a different world. Tommy John surgery, huge salaries, emphasis on 100mph fastballs, pitch counts, kids throwing curve balls in LL. I could go on for an hour.

Didn’t realize Patrick fvcking Corbin was Cy Young.

C’mon guys, it’s one thing to get shut down by an average or mildly average arm…a guy like Corbin can’t be owning you.

At least the BP is matching Corbin.  Game is still winnable.  

5 minutes ago, point said:

They were paid peanuts, threw 200 innings, and had dead arms after five years.

Its a different world. Tommy John surgery, huge salaries, emphasis on 100mph fastballs, pitch counts, kids throwing curve balls in LL. I could go on for an hour.

A lot of guys pitched several innings back then, for years…in four-man rotations no less.

Leo Mazzone (former Braves pitching coach for years) gave a great interview on the WFAN some time ago, and he said the main problem now is that pitchers don’t throw nearly enough.  They’re babied in the minors (often held to 5 innings in their starts) and then when they’re finally promoted, they’re not used to throwing 100+ pitches…and then the issues begin.  

• Like 1

Yikes, now trailing 2-1…not going to get on Ottavino, as the bats gotta score a hell of a lot more than one run off Corbin.  

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

FWIW Corbin actually had been semi-competent in his last two starts before today (11.1 IP, 'only' 3 ER) against the Padres and Reds, so maybe he figured something out finally but holy hell it'd be nice to have this offense break out for more than one game a week.

The Padres have been wildly inconsistent since going all-in, and the Reds are obviously nothing special.  I know baseball is kooky sometimes and games like this will happen (the bad teams gotta win their 60 or so games against somebody), but this one is just aggravating.  This game has felt like watching one of Sandy’s teams, where his collection of .250-hitting-or-less whiffers looked dead on arrival.

At least Corbin’s out (no idea why).  Maybe they get to the pen.  Leadoff man on.

Great AB you fat fvck.  Especially when you took that pitch right down the middle.