2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Yeah it's the WAY they've lost.

And Alonso and Lindor are doing a great Wright and Reyes imitation, in that those two obviously had their moments and could put up some nice numbers, but never seemed to get that huge hit in so many key spots either. 

Yeah Braves have been playing well over .700 ball since their 23-27 start.  They just haven't let up much at all.  They do have a lot of games coming up against better opponents though, and the Braves actually own a losing record against >.500 teams this season.  I think we're almost conditioned to expect the Braves to suddenly surge well ahead of the Mets, but it's not like it's actually happened YET.  

And yeah it's not like the Mets have collapsed...takes more than one poorly-timed three-game losing streak for that to happen.  They have run a bit hot-and-cold lately (11-11 in their 21, including today's afternoon win), and when the team behind you just keeps on winning, 11-11 feels much worse than it actually is...that being said, it's just frustrating as hell to watch your team not only lose three straight games to last-place opponents, but to do it in such embarrassing fashion.  But in a stretch where I was asking them to go 11-5 against "easier" teams, so far they're 2-3.  They can still recover.

Here's the big test for Atlanta, starting Friday:  3 @ Seattle, 3 @ San Fran, 3 vs Philly, 3 vs Nats, 4 @ Philly  

And of course, the three game series in Atlanta, which could very well decide the East.  

Looks like the Mets (and likely the Pirates as well) remembered just how awful the Pirates really are.

Hopefully that 3-game losing streak (which somehow felt much longer) was just a temporary stumble.  

39 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah at least they responded in a good way to getting poked in the eye.

They’ve avoided major slumps and extended losing streaks…it’s just that even though there’s a part of us that wants to fully believe that this season will be different…we’re Mets fans.  We just can’t fully bring ourselves to give this team the benefit of the doubt, even with a team that’s actually earned some.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

deGrom has gotta be the very best that I’ve ever seen, when it comes to finding a way to turn in a good outing despite not having his best stuff.  I know facing the Pirates doesn’t hurt, but not like he hasn’t done this a lot in his career.

terribly worried about playing the Marlins. Don't care that they've lost 9 in a row...they're not playing the Phillies, they're not playing the Braves, they're playing us and this is their World Series. I hope the bats truly did wake up and this is not just a 1 game anomaly. We've got Walker and Carrasco pitching two of these games and we're going up against 3 very solid starter in Miami, Cabrera, Lopez, and Luzardo...this is worrisome. I hope Seattle can take 2 of 3 from Atlanta. The Mariners have been playing sensational baseball of late.

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

deGrom has gotta be the very best that I’ve ever seen, when it comes to finding a way to turn in a good outing despite not having his best stuff.  I know facing the Pirates doesn’t hurt, but not like he hasn’t done this a lot in his career.

2015 Game 5 vs that Dodgers on the road. He was struggling early on...did not have his best stuff but buckled down, held LA to 2 in the first and then gave us 5 more scoreless.

He had given up 4 straight hits, Dodgers had 2 on, 1 out...that game was an eyelash away from being a disaster

Jake has now given up 60 hits, 15 BB, and 1 HPB in his last 135.1 IP.  And has struck out 209 to boot, to go with a 1.26 ERA...he's averaging almost 14 K per 9 and walking just 1 per 9 (?!).  Hopefully for him, his body holds up.  

I'm worried about the Marlins series. They did just beat the Phillies last night, and had lost 9 in a row before that...matters little. This is the Marlins World Series. They will approach these games and play them very differently from their usual roll over and die routine vs Atlanta (they have lost 7 in a row to the Braves)

Atlanta is in Seattle. Mariners have been playing excellent baseball of late (15-6 in their last 21) they absolutely need to take 2 of 3. If they can do that and we can do the same (I don't expect a sweep the Marlins always get some kind of fluky BS nonsense wins over us in their building)

Atlanta has 9 vs Seattle/San Fran/Philly. They are so due for a lackluster 4-5 stretch or something. Can that just happen already? 

Mets have handled the Marlins so far...not too worried about them.  We'll see if the DH sweep got the ship righted.  Even with the three-game losing streak, Mets are 8-5 in their last 18...it's not like they're on some major skid.  If the Mets do lose this series, yeah, time to start to wonder.  But we gotta be fair...this team has avoided the extended slump ALL SEASON.  The angry Mets fan in me definitely comes raging out sometimes, but I gotta remind myself that this team hasn't deserved that...not yet.

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mets have handled the Marlins so far...not too worried about them.  We'll see if the DH sweep got the ship righted.  Even with the three-game losing streak, Mets are 8-5 in their last 18...it's not like they're on some major skid.  If the Mets do lose this series, yeah, time to start to wonder.  But we gotta be fair...this team has avoided the extended slump ALL SEASON.  The angry Mets fan in me definitely comes raging out sometimes, but I gotta remind myself that this team hasn't deserved that...not yet.

That 3 game losing streak got the joyous anti Met elements that exist in the media to get positively giddy. "It's a CHOKE" It's a collapse! The Mets were literally on something like a 28-14 run in their last 42 and people were actually saying they were collapsing because the Braves tied us

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

That 3 game losing streak got the joyous anti Met elements that exist in the media to get positively giddy. "It's a CHOKE" It's a collapse! The Mets were literally on something like a 28-14 run in their last 42 and people were actually saying they were collapsing because the Braves tied us

The Braves have played at a 116-win pace since starting the season 23-27.  

The Mets had a 12-12 stretch in June, and a 10-11 dip in August-Sept.  So a couple of .500 runs has been the extent of any real downturns this year.  With the exception of June, they've played .630 or better ball in every other month.

I read somewhere today (think it was the Daily News) "The Mets could still collapse."  I can't 100% rule it out, but it doesn't feel like the Mets will ever lose the division due to a full-on collapse, as much as the Braves will have continued what they started the second June rolled out.    

6 minutes ago, '7' said:

deGrom better be ready to go 8 scoreless and this team better hit in that wild card game...it's a guarantee now

We’ll it’s two out of three this year now that they’re expanding the playoffs…but yeah going the WC route would still suck especially given we’d have to use both Jake and Max in that series and possibly Bassitt too.

Carrasco is the wrong guy to run out there today. No surprise also that the Marlins actually decide to compete now that they see the Mets than the usual apathetic forfeit they pull every game vs Atlanta. If would shock me if Walker can get through 6 giving up 2 or fewer runs. He always strikes me as a guy who will wilt in big games. Lopez (and then Luzardo) we'll probably make look like Cy Young

Edited by '7'

Mets takin care of business in this one…especially great in that if Carrasco gives up 4 or 5 runs in 6+ innings, it shouldn’t be any big deal.  Mets should be able to get some innings out of him tonight. 

So Mets now 4-4 so far during the “easy” part of their schedule.  Yes, of course we’d like better, but I was asking for 11-5 over the 16 games heading into the series against the Brewers…that’s not out of reach.  Even 10-6 wouldn’t be so terrible, really. 

Now 5-4 over these easier nine, but they’ve won four out of five, a few of them in laughable fashion.  This is why I might get annoyed with the team after bad losses here and there, but the teams they’re facing for now are SO lousy that they make it damned near impossible for the contending teams to sink into a real losing streak when they have them on the schedule.  

That’s why I’m not worried about the Braves suddenly surging to three or four games up on the Mets.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well it’s nice the Braves might finally lose a couple in Seattle too 

So of course the Seattle BP gives up 5 runs in the top of the ninth and now trail 7-6.  We’ll see if they have a comeback in them.

• Shocking 1

Aaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha

Braves closer Jensen gives up two dingers in the bottom of the 9th…Mariners win 8-7.