2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Have Francisco and Pete filled up some columns this year?  Yep.

Is anyone really afraid of them?  Probably not.  They can be pitched to.

Nats win!  Got a huge favor there.

Drew Smith actually pitched an inning and didn’t give up a run.  Now or never boys…just get it done.

You knew Cahna wasn’t getting a hit after coming so close…dammit.

Up to Escobar AGAIN.

Wow, would be nice if a team like the Marlins wasn’t such a damned chore to get past…but they got it done, and that’s all that counts.

On to Atlanta.

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

Why would you walk anyone to face Eddie Judge Esco?

HUGE last two hours

Yeah and McNeil isn’t exactly Captain Clutch.  I would’ve taken my chances against him.

Turns out the bat we needed at the deadline was Escobar. When Lindor and Pete come up small (and yes as CR has stated...in a big spot you can tame them) but Escobar the last month, has been the real MVP

Mattingly as a manager is kinda like Callaway without the creepyness. He just doesnt have a good feel for the game. He's a bad manager

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, '7' said:

Turns out the bat we needed at the deadline was Escobar. When Lindor and Pete come up small (and yes as CR has stated...in a big spot you can tame them) but Escobar the last month, has been the real MVP

And the fact is that come playoff time, it’s going to be guys like Escobar and Nimmo and some others who will have to step up.  Am I going to be at all surprised if Pete and Francisco combine to hit about .200 with a couple of garbage time HRs in an extended playoff series?  Not really.  I know they’ve both been very productive, but they’re not Jeter, Chipper, Freeman…some guys you just KNEW were to going to find that way to shine in the biggest spots.  I don’t see those two ever being that kind of player, who strikes fear into opposing teams and their fanbases.  

24 minutes ago, '7' said:

Mattingly as a manager is kinda like Callaway without the creepyness. He just doesnt have a good feel for the game. He's a bad manager

Agree re:  Mattingly (it’s just never really truly happened for him, even with some postseason appearances), but I wonder if he gets a shot with the Yankees at some point…I mean, FFS, if they’re willing to just stick with Aaron Friggin’ Boone for this long…

On 9/18/2022 at 10:32 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

Playing the schedule game sucks as the last two weeks proved, but if the Mets go 5-3 and the Braves 6-4 before the three game series you'd probably have to sign for that.  Or sign for any scenario that keeps us one game up, cause then basically one win in Atlanta puts the magic number at one for winning the division after sewing up the tiebreaker.  Problem is the Braves have six games against the Nationals out of the ten and the other four in Philly.  Not sure you can really count on the Nationals for more than a game at most...two might be pushing it.  Ideally they at least split the four in Philly though from what we saw this weekend I'm not as sure of that lol

It really wasn’t pretty at times but for once the schedule game played out the way I thought it could - 2-1 against the Brewers and A’s, 1-1 against the Marlins (figured 1-2 against the Brewers and 2-0 against the Marlins was a possibility too) while the Nats going 2-4 and the Phillies 2-2 was about the most you could ask for there.

Although to self correct the magic number would still be 4 with one win in Atlanta, there’d still be work to do there, winning two would make it a bit easier

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It really wasn’t pretty at times but for once the schedule game played out the way I thought it could - 2-1 against the Brewers and A’s, 1-1 against the Marlins (figured 1-2 against the Brewers and 2-0 against the Marlins was a possibility too) while the Nats going 2-4 and the Phillies 2-2 was about the most you could ask for there.

Although to self correct the magic number would still be 4 with one win in Atlanta, there’d still be work to do there, winning two would make it a bit easier

Crazy as it sounds, I almost feel like the Mets have to sweep the Braves...sounds extreme, but I have no faith in Carrasco and Walker...I can see both of them somehow imploding against the Nats, and suddenly that two-game lead that Mets would have after having won two out of three would be gone, with the division coming down to the final day of the season.

But it's funny, and ironic, in that just like '7', I was in full "Randy Quaid" mode last night...when the Mets were down 2-0, I was already thinking "Way to go a$$holes, gonna get swept at home by the Marlins, at best now you'll be friggin' tied with the Braves heading into the big series!"  I had the game as already decided, but they really haven't done much to deserve that kind of pessimism in 2022, they really haven't.  With last night's win, they've won 9 out of 12 (I get it, somehow it doesn't feel that way).  They've gone a solid 15-10 in September, yet '7' is using words like "collapse".  Yeah, they've had annoying moments as of late, given the level of competition, but it's not like they've gone into some crippling lose 8-out-of-10 funk.  They've avoided that ALL SEASON.  

I'm as guilty of it as times as everyone else (much as I've tried to stay level-headed), but it's like we all keep waiting for this disaster scenario to happen (I get that too, not like the Mets have never broken our hearts), and it never really does.  Yeah, getting swept against the Cubs was pretty friggin' awful, but the Mets have won plenty since...it's not like that series set off some massive cliff-dive in the slightest.  They remain consistent...they STILL have yet to finish under .500 for any of the 10-game blocks I've been keeping track of...they went 6-4 during games 131-140, and 7-3 over games 141-150.  They're 3-3 so far over this final group (this one will be 12 games).

Guess it's just another moment when I realize as much as we're almost expecting disappointment...maybe we should try to cut these guys some slack.  And if the Mets lose the first game of this series and find themselves trailing in the second game early, I'm sure I'll go right back to ripping them for god-knows-what.   

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Fangraphs gives the Mets a ~80% chance to win the division. I have to imagine it's that big because they already own the tiebreaker against Atlanta? 

If so, winning 1-of-three against Atlanta probably does enough to win the division, considering the team you finish up the season with and the tiebreaker in your pocket. 

EDIT: Winning 1 in Atlanta gives you the tiebreaker. Which means all you'd need to do is finish as well as Atlanta in your last series. You'll face the easier team, you're at home, and you won't face a Cy Young finalist on the last day of the year. I know being a sports fans carries a good amount of pessimism, but it feels like Atlanta needs to sweep you guys to have even a remote chance at the division. 

Having a one-game lead entering the series is huge, no question.  And yeah, pointed it out a while ago, but win one game against the Braves, and you effectively have a one-game lead when tied.  

Part of the problem is Carrasco and Walker…both are complete wild-cards right now.  A scenario where neither one gets it done against the Nats isn’t really that farfetched.  But obviously right now, it’s don’t get swept against the Braves.  

And to be clear, I am 100% not expecting a sweep…I will gleefully take 2-out-of-3.  That means either one Met win or one Braves loss over each team’s final series and that’s that.

Mets gotta figure out how to get McCan't the hell out of here this offseason.  He went right back to being the zilch he was as a Tiger.