2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Matched their total from the entire Atlanta series in one inning lol

In an odd way this is almost as infuriating as the Atlanta series…oh now that there’s basically no pressure, NOW suddenly you’re all showing signs of life?  Couldn’t have shown just the slightest hint of this against the Braves?

Things certainly get interesting if the Braves lose to the Marlins of course…but I get the feeling the Braves will find a way to get it done tonight. 

Yeah can’t see that pop gun Marlins offense scoring on the Braves pen unless Jansen has one of his off days now that he’s not facing us.

The longer the tease goes on the more hilarious it’s gonna get but yeah it would have been nice to get the breakout over the weekend 

7 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah can’t see that pop gun Marlins offense scoring on the Braves pen unless Jansen has one of his off days now that he’s not facing us.

The longer the tease goes on the more hilarious it’s gonna get but yeah it would have been nice to get the breakout over the weekend 

Yeah the only real hope was Odorizzi turning in another meh kind of start, but he did the job…enough of one, anyway.  But when destiny’s out of your control with so little time left, not like you really deserve to win.  Mets had their shot and more or less decided not to show up.  

Some kudos to the Marlins…they’ve played the Braves pretty tough.  They could’ve have easily mailed it in.  

Marlins had the sacks full in the bottom of the 8th (a double and two walks), but a pop-up to short ended that.  Looks like that’s probably that.

So this is it.  Bottom of the ninth, Marlins coming up.  They’ve shown more fight against the Braves than the friggin’ Mets did.  

And the Braves clinch.

Congrats on deciding to show up for the Nats series.  Keep fattening up in what’s now garbage time.  You fvckers blew it.  

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Welp the tease is over…at least they can start sitting people till Friday now 

Yeah, pretty much this.  We’ll find out soon enough what kind of stones the Mets really have…and yeah, might as well start resting some bodies.  Let Vientos and Alvarez start tomorrow.  Guess Megill could get the start…especially since he’s shown little as a reliever.  

This is probably the emptiest 100 (maybe even 101) win season I have ever experienced. In the long run yes it's a positive...Cohen owns them now. This is the first year of the Mets truly being back and being a force. They won't fall back into irrelevance and mediocrity like after 2015-16. This isn't just some one year spurt, Cohen is definitely going to make sure the team is competitive and contending every year if possible.

Tough to look at a bright side but...I don't know maybe this fires them up. Angers them a bit. Gets them wanting to shove it down the throat of those who have been mocking them of late. This is nothing like 07-08...season isn't over. They won a ton of games and are in it. Hopefully Scherzer and deGrom are absolutely laser focused to go out there and bury the Padres. And yea while it is vs crap pitching...at least the bats are getting hot. That's so critical heading in, doesn't matter how many games you've won or what your stats were during the regular season, heading into the playoffs with a confident hitting team and on a bit of a roll matters.

Edited by '7'

fwiw (and this was much worse than the Mets this year) the 2006 Tigers were up 7.5 on August 22nd. They went 14-22 down the stretch, lost the AL Central to the Twins

Twins were swept in the first round. The collapsing Tigers won playoff series vs the Yankees and A's and made the World Series. Hopefully the Mets story arc is similar to that

If they can beat the Padres that would take some sting out of losing the division. Unfortunately it looks like slow healer Marte won't be ready for it...shame he's a real difference maker for us

Edited by '7'

Well, the playoffs will soon be upon us.

Feels like it's going to come down to Jake and Max living up to the promise of what we were hoping for.  I'm not expecting that much from the offense; over the course of the season, that part of the team morphed from an entertaining smallball squad that could wear down almost anyone to a feast-or-famine bully offense that felt more and more like Sandyball teams (especially with the lack of big hits in the most important moments).  Great, so now they're fattening up against the Nats.  I'm not fooled.

BUT, the Mets do have the potential to win games 2-1 and 3-2, if need be...but that means Jake, Max, and Bassitt coming through for them.  The Mets are 3-5 in Max's last 8 starts, and 1-3 in Jake's last 4 starts...not nearly good enough.  In Max's case, yeah, he wasn't nearly good enough against the Braves, but the Mets wasted some plenty good starts in there.

As far as Jake goes...enough is enough pal.  I don't want to hear anything along the lines of "Well, it was still a quality start" or "Look at all of the Ks, and his K-to-walk ratio!".  What wins games is not giving up runs (though obviously no team has wasted a finer body of work than Mets have, with deGrom outings)...Ks are great eye-candy, but the Yankees' Cole Ks a lot of guys too...so what?  Sorry Jake, sorry Max, you both need to pitch into the 7th inning, allowing 2 runs or less.  If the Met bats go somnambulant again to the point where they're not scoring at all, and you both wind up on the losing end of 1-0 or 2-0 games, that's one thing...if the Mets are scoring 2 or 3 runs for you, find some fvcking way to make that stand up.  That's what you and Max are paid a fortune for...you're supposed to be the guys EVERYONE would want to pitch in the big games.  Go prove it!  

39 minutes ago, '7' said:

This is probably the emptiest 100 (maybe even 101) win season I have ever experienced. In the long run yes it's a positive...Cohen owns them now. This is the first year of the Mets truly being back and being a force. They won't fall back into irrelevance and mediocrity like after 2015-16. This isn't just some one year spurt, Cohen is definitely going to make sure the team is competitive and contending every year if possible.

Tough to look at a bright side but...I don't know maybe this fires them up. Angers them a bit. Gets them wanting to shove it down the throat of those who have been mocking them of late. This is nothing like 07-08...season isn't over. They won a ton of games and are in it. Hopefully Scherzer and deGrom are absolutely laser focused to go out there and bury the Padres. And yea while it is vs crap pitching...at least the bats are getting hot. That's so critical heading in, doesn't matter how many games you've won or what your stats were during the regular season, heading into the playoffs with a confident hitting team and on a bit of a roll matters.

I hear you on the bolded '7'.  It's amazing how one series took so much starch out of the season.  Of course I'll be rooting hard as hell for them, but I can see a two-game sweep by the hands of the Padres, where the Mets lose each game 3-0, 4-2 or thereabouts, with a couple of teases of getting closer late, and guys like Lindor and Alonso whiffing or popping up into the infield.  Basically where the Mets were in each game just enough to frustrate the hell out of all of us.

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I hear you on the bolded '7'.  It's amazing how one series took so much starch out of the season.  Of course I'll be rooting hard as hell for them, but I can see a two-game sweep by the hands of the Padres, where the Mets lose each game 3-0, 4-2 or thereabouts, with a couple of teases of getting closer late, and guys like Lindor and Alonso whiffing or popping up into the infield.  Basically where the Mets were in each game just enough to frustrate the hell out of all of us.

That I can see...especially since we have to deal with Darvish who is a career 5-0 against us with a 2.56 era. I'd be very worried if we fall behind in a game vs SD with Darvish on the hill. It's absolutely crucial to get early leads. 

43 minutes ago, '7' said:

That I can see...especially since we have to deal with Darvish who is a career 5-0 against us with a 2.56 era. I'd be very worried if we fall behind in a game vs SD with Darvish on the hill. It's absolutely crucial to get early leads. 

And just as crucial for deGrom not to give up, say, 2 HR in his half of an inning after he's just been handed a lead...that kind of crap can just deflate a team.  deGrom and Max HAVE to make 2-3 runs work, and based on their pedigree, they're SUPPOSED to...I don't expect them to get much more to work with than that.    None of this "Well he went 6 innings and gave up 3 runs, struck out a bunch of guys."  Elite guys are supposed to be elite when you really need them to be, not pretty good.  Match Darvish if you're so damned good.

Sadly the Mets have the look of a really good REGULAR season team...built to accumulate wins over the long haul, consistently winning 6 or 7 out of 10 most of the time...but I'm definitely not convinced it's a team built for short all-out sprints.  Right now it's their starting pitching either carries them or it doesn't.  If deGrom, Scherzer, and Bassitt each manage 6+ innings of one-run ball, I think they've got a shot.  I think the Mets will struggle to score more than 3 runs in any given game...if those three come up as puny as they did against the Braves, bye-bye 2022 Mets.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Keep bloating those numbers boys.  Won’t mean d!ck if your bats all go silent come playoff time.

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Maybe we should play the second string in Game 2 if Darvish shuts us down in Game 1 lol

An honest congrats to Jeff McNeil for winning the batting title though...at least he's one of the few guys I can legit celebrate without sneering at right now.

Hear you on McNeil, but don’t love that they sat him to protect his batting average.  Oh well.

I found this last series aggravating as hell (obviously)…where was this against the Nats when they lost two of three? When they were swept by the Cubs at home?  Some of these numbers (like Lindor’s 107 RBI) feel very hollow.  Clearly if this team gets hot in the playoffs, that will change everything.  But these guys all coming to life after failing a serious gut-check series against their main rival (which cost them dearly)…it bothers me. 

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hear you on McNeil, but don’t love that they sat him to protect his batting average.  Oh well.

I found this last series aggravating as hell (obviously)…where was this against the Nats when they lost two of three? When they were swept by the Cubs at home?  Some of these numbers (like Lindor’s 107 RBI) feel very hollow.  Clearly if this team gets hot in the playoffs, that will change everything.  But these guys all coming to life after failing a serious gut-check series against their main rival (which cost them dearly)…it bothers me. 

Considering he played a doubleheader yesterday and almost every other regular sat too that’s not even a concern of mine. At least it’s not like Professor Reyes saying adios after getting his bunt hit never to return (well till years later) lol

And yeah you knew this too little too late surge would happen after the Atlanta fiasco and all their other struggles against bad teams this month although Alvarez being a part of it helps him. At least they have one more chance to make up for it but I’m not gonna lie, pretty much anything short of a pennant would feel hollow at this point. Even beating the Padres and Dodgers to get to the NLCS only to lose to the Braves or another bitter rival (Philly/St. Louis) would be egg on our face. Hell I’d rather lose to the Dodgers in a five game classic than get punked by a rival yet again in the LCS.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Excellent post Has.  I can handle them getting to the World Series and losing a tough series (as long as it’s not to the Yankees).  But yeah if the Braves make the Mets their bitches yet again in what will be THE most important series of the season…

• Like 1

At least on paper our lineup is better than the last time we made the playoffs lol

https://metsrefugees.com/forum/index.php?attachments/1665022396665-png.39674/

TJ Rivera batting fifth, Bruce when he was awful hitting sixth, Rene Rivera and the rotted corpse of James Loney rounding out 5-8 lol

Not that 1-4 was all that imposing but they actually hit well enough down the stretch, still a bit random that Reyes was playing third and Granderson was hitting cleanup

Edited by NJDevs4978

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

At least on paper our lineup is better than the last time we made the playoffs lol

https://metsrefugees.com/forum/index.php?attachments/1665022396665-png.39674/

TJ Rivera batting fifth, Bruce when he was awful hitting sixth, Rene Rivera and the rotted corpse of James Loney rounding out 5-8 lol

Not that 1-4 was all that imposing but they actually hit well enough down the stretch, still a bit random that Reyes was playing third and Granderson was hitting cleanup

The big question is can these guys get it done when it really matters?  Against good arms?  They did have a winning record against >.500 teams.  They held their own against the Dodgers and played well against the Cards.  The Padres, Astros, and Braves (especially in their last two series) made them look rather vulnerable.

I just REALLY hope come Monday (or even Sunday morning) we're not lamenting same ol same ol...Mets averaging about 6 or 7 hits and maybe 2 runs per game and no one in the lineup in particular feeling like much of a threat to do anything.

And on another note, if Jake or Max give up 2-3 runs in the first inning or so, and then wind up "battling" to turn in a minimum-level "quality start" (6 IP and 3 ER of course)...I don't want that buttered up.  Mets need these two to be their absolute best (or damned close to it)...simple as that.

The funny thing is that these playoffs really have an "anything can happen" feel to them, especially where the Mets are concerned.  I just hope the one script that comes to mind (the Padres simply being better and doing what they have to win) doesn't come to pass.  I hope Lindor and Alonso and others shock the hell out of us by coming up with some big knocks.  I hope Jake and Max do EXACTLY what they were paired up to do.  I don't want this to be a "Well at least they got in" season.