2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Hmmmm

Yeah gotta think that the phone rings soon.

Phillies had 87 wins and had their teeth kicked in consistently by the Mets all year. Yet 87 wins and a backdoor entry into the playoffs, a short 3 game fluke series vs a division winner and here they are. What's the point of the regular season anymore really? Mets should just win 85-89 next year, coast, sneak into the playoffs with as little pressure or expectations possible. Too much of this is just pure luck and timing at this point. The regular season proved what the four best teams in the NL were. 

4 hours ago, '7' said:

Phillies had 87 wins and had their teeth kicked in consistently by the Mets all year. Yet 87 wins and a backdoor entry into the playoffs, a short 3 game fluke series vs a division winner and here they are. What's the point of the regular season anymore really? Mets should just win 85-89 next year, coast, sneak into the playoffs with as little pressure or expectations possible. Too much of this is just pure luck and timing at this point. The regular season proved what the four best teams in the NL were. 

There's a bit of a crapshoot element in the NFL, NHL, and MLB for sure.  The NBA tends to be more predictable.

It is what it is.  You watch the regular season games for the entertainment factor, but yeah, we've seen that once you get in, anything is possible, and having one of the best records is no guarantee that it will lead to a championship.  So just get in.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 hours ago, Muevelos said:

I mean 2 of the final 4 were 100 plus win teams, no? The difference being the Mets just don't have it when it mattered.  But either way, so what, this is every major sport and happens every season. 

Well yeah, if the teams that win the most games are just supposed to sail on into the World Series, why have multiple rounds?  The Mets, Braves and Dodgers (all 100+ win teams) bowed out in their initial playoff series.

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but part of the issue with baseball and trying to figure out who is truly "GOOD" is that there's so many bad teams (some of whom aren't even trying to be competitive) that upper-end win totals are getting bloated.  The other issue of course (well, not an issue, just more of a fact) is that who cleans up at the deadline and who manages to stay healthy is a big factor as well.  Mets had a terrible deadline and that absolutely hurt them.  And of course, way too many failures in key spots.  Alonso and Lindor feel like the second coming of Wright and Reyes...we'll see if that turns out to be true.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well yeah, if the teams that win the most games are just supposed to sail on into , why have multiple rounds?  The Mets, Braves and Dodgers (all 100+ win teams) bowed out in their initial playoff series.

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but part of the issue with baseball and trying to figure out who is truly "GOOD" is that there's so many bad teams (some of whom aren't even trying to be competitive) that upper-end win totals are getting bloated.  The other issue of course (well, not an issue, just more of a fact) is that who cleans up at the deadline and who manages to stay healthy is a big factor as well.  Mets had a terrible deadline and that absolutely hurt them.  And of course, way too many failures in key spots.  Alonso and Lindor feel like the second coming of Wright and Reyes...we'll see if that turns out to be true.  

Not wrong at all. I would say out of all the professional sports a first round bye, in baseball isn't that big of a swing towards the opposing teams as it is and say the other sports though. Think it's a bit overstated and more of an excuse in baseball as opposed to others. 

4 hours ago, Muevelos said:

I mean 2 of the final 4 were 100 plus win teams, no? The difference being the Mets just don't have it when it mattered.  But either way, so what, this is every major sport and happens every season. 

Well that's not a great percentage considering the bye's supposed to 'help' the chances of the Dodgers, Braves and Mets only having to get out of one round to get to the LCS as opposed to two (well the Mets did have to get out of two cause they drew the short straw of having another 100-win team in the same division) and none of them made it.

Yes poor teams have won a title before (the '06 Cardinals, '87 Twins, maybe one or two others) and many others have gotten to a WS at least but this Phillies team doesn't make the postseason in any other normal year of baseball.  It's a little rough seeing them likely winning a title in year one of this new format after the Mets and Braves dominated the division - and the Phillies - all year.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, '7' said:

Thing is just about every time we're in a close playoff race we fvck it up...we forget now but Philly almost fvcked it up at the end, it's just that the Brewers crapped out more than they did, and only after nut-shotting themselves trading Hader.

Edited by NJDevs4978

56 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well that's not a great percentage considering the bye's supposed to 'help' the chances of the Dodgers, Braves and Mets only having to get out of one round to get to the LCS as opposed to two (well the Mets did have to get out of two cause they drew the short straw of having another 100-win team in the same division) and none of them made it.

Yes poor teams have won a title before (the '06 Cardinals, '87 Twins, maybe one or two others) and many others have gotten to a WS at least but this Phillies team doesn't make the postseason in any other normal year of baseball.  It's a little rough seeing them likely winning a title in year one of this new format after the Mets and Braves dominated the division - and the Phillies - all year.

Don't disagree, the added playoff spots got them in. On paper they are one of the best teams in the league, getting it going at the right time. And yes the bye is supposed to help, it didn't hamper HOU or NYY, the others just sh!t the bed, and it's not exactly unlike the Mets to piss it away.

On 11/2/2022 at 8:36 PM, Muevelos said:

Don't disagree, the added playoff spots got them in. On paper they are one of the best teams in the league, getting it going at the right time. And yes the bye is supposed to help, it didn't hamper HOU or NYY, the others just sh!t the bed, and it's not exactly unlike the Mets to piss it away.

But even after the bye, that next NLDS series I feel should be 7 games. Just feel that if you win your division your fate should not be decided in 3 or 5 game series where the odds of the better team not winning are greater. Though of course the MLB doesn't want baseball spilling over too deep into Nov any more than it does already.

The way this is set up, you're going to have a lot of upsets in the coming years. And erode interest in the regular season. Next season I just pray the Mets, be it if they win the division or one of the wild cards...just end up with the right opponent at the right time. I'd rather they sneak in with 86 wins, healthy, with low pressure and expectations and play some 90 something win division champ on the road who all of a sudden realize one bad call, one bad break and that's it your season is over in 48 or 72 hours. 

Edited by '7'

MLB should really just dial back the regular season to 154 games now that there’s an extended playoff format, but no way does that ever happen.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

MLB should really just dial back the regular season to 154 games now that there’s an extended playoff format, but no way does that ever happen.  

I'd be fine with that as you can then make the ALDS and NLDS the 7 game series that it should be. And also have a day off during the 3 game wild card series. Maybe they don't even need to scale back to 154 to accommodate this but 158 or so. And start the season a tad earlier.

2 hours ago, '7' said:

I'd be fine with that as you can then make the ALDS and NLDS the 7 game series that it should be. And also have a day off during the 3 game wild card series. Maybe they don't even need to scale back to 154 to accommodate this but 158 or so. And start the season a tad earlier.

The last thing that MLB needs is to start seasons earlier.  April is often a lousy enough month, in terms of chilly/raw/rainy days...March is often even worse.  The problem is that MLB keeps adding on to the postseason without being willing to shorten the regular season.  I'd actually be fine if MLB scaled back to 144 games with the current playoff format, but I know that's never ever happening.  I'd happily accept 154 games, with as little November games as possible (preferably none).

I like the idea of (3) 7-game series after the WC round mostly because I do think the teams that earned byes have a little more time to try to shake off any rust in the Divisional Series...but let's face it, with this many teams getting into the mix, I fully expect we'll see 85-90 win teams knocking off 100+ wins with fair frequency.  Like we've been over, some teams nab the right players at the deadline and are better equipped to perform better in the playoffs, some teams simply match up very well with certain opponents, some teams simply get hot at just the right time...but anybody who sees their team stockpile a lot of wins compared to other playoff teams and assumes that doing so make them an absolute lock to win it all...that's just no longer a thing, if it ever truly was.  You go to the big dance and anything can happen now.