2022 New York Mets season thread

Not their night ultimately…suddenly everyone’s whiffing.  Not like anyone was expecting a 5-game sweep…if they take 3 of 5, think we’d all be pretty happy.  

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Tying run actually at the plate.  Not easy to do down 8-0. 

Yeah I figured this game was over at 7-0, but I'm not even that surprised they made a game of it tbh.  Hopefully with Jake and Max for two of the next three and Diaz likely available for two of the games they can actually win the series.  Even losing two of three isn't a disaster, though it wouldn't be ideal with how much the Braves have been winning in general lately.

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah I figured this game was over at 7-0, but I'm not even that surprised they made a game of it tbh.  Hopefully with Jake and Max for two of the next three and Diaz likely available for two of the games they can actually win the series.  Even losing two of three isn't a disaster, though it wouldn't be ideal with how much the Braves have been winning in general lately.

Yeah I figured the Mets would score some runs, but to even be in position at any point to tie it up down 8 is impressive.  Yeah if they lose three out of five overall, not quite the end of the world…but obviously would feel a hell of a lot better leaving that series being up at least 4.5 games. 

LOL what a fvcking break, Ottavino with a tough AB against Harris with five straight 0-2 fouls, then finally gets him on a nubber right off the damn umpire.  Now a hit basically means Diaz has to pitch the ninth.

15 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Guess Met hitters are still magnets for pitched balls :rant:

I know I’ve said many times, but at some point, stop taking it and do something about it.

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Damn Pete JUST missed ending the game for sure...at least they got some insurance back and hopefully won't have to use Diaz in this game.

Think about it…the Braves went from having a chance to tie it up to being 6 runs down.  HUGE 7th inning for the Mets.

Hopefully this ‘pen won’t keep giving them life.

Posted (edited)

Wow Ottavino really gutted his way through the end of that inning...kept the cushion at least.

Guess it's Givens for the ninth and hopefully he doesn't gag again with a huge lead...or not, looks like it's Lopez, and Givens was only warming up if Ottavino gave up a couple runs in the 8th.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Jesus Christ could just ONE of these mop-up jerkoffs just do the damned job just once?!  fvcking losers.  

• Like 1

Seriously fvck that guy…the only games that Lopez belongs in are games where the Mets are down by 6+ with 9 outs or less and have already pulled some starters.  Don’t put him in any games where the Mets have a lead.  He obviously can’t handle it.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Thank you Edwin.

fvck you Lopez you absolute failure of a reliever.

Posted (edited)

Whoosh...won the series with two fairly convincing wins and deGrom tomorrow to hopefully put the hammer down.  Max might actually be underpaid lol, and give Peterson credit in the first game too for getting to the middle innings spotless.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah it really feels like whatever ghosts remained of the “Same Old Mets” era were fully vanquished tonight.  The Braves have played absolute out-of-their-minds baseball over the past couple of months…and still find themselves 5.5 games out of first.  The Mets are now one game worse than the Yankees…not that that matters, but that Yankees team was so far above and beyond for a while.  Yeah they’ve been slumping, but suddenly for the Mets to be that close record-wise to them?  Damn!  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Gotta give credit where it’s due…I’ve blasted Lindor plenty when he’s been cold, but he is absolutely shredding right now.  He has an 1.021 OPS over his last 26 GP (.350 BA) and has been held without a hit in just two of those games.  

• Like 1

Thiis series has had its share of suspense for Metsfans, for sure.  But even after todays game the Mets play ATL seven more games,  three against LAD, and two with NYY. ATL schedule is a bit softer.

Still, a lot of fun to watch!

2 hours ago, point said:

Thiis series has had its share of suspense for Metsfans, for sure.  But even after todays game the Mets play ATL seven more games,  three against LAD, and two with NYY. ATL schedule is a bit softer.

Still, a lot of fun to watch!

Mets are again building up a cushion, which is huge…and they’ve also managed to be incredibly consistent, all season.  If you break down the season into 15 “Groups of 10” (with the final being 12, due to the season being 162 games), the Mets have been 6-4 or 7-3 for every group but one…and they went 5-5 in the other one.  They simply have been able to avoid that costly slump that would allowed the Braves to pull ahead.

Mets also have a better record against winning teams to date, compared to the Braves, for whatever that’s worth.

Not saying that the Mets have clinched the East by any stretch, but the Braves have a lot of work to do.  They really need to start by winning today’s game.  Being 6.5 back at this point would be tough to overcome.

The 2022 Mets are starting to remind me of the 1998 Yankees.  These Mets won’t win anywhere near 114 games, but the MO (especially wearing down starting pitchers) is very similar.  They do an excellent job grinding out ABs.  

• Like 1

And Jake will always make us hold our collective breaths because we just never know when something is going to suddenly become achy or inflamed…but damn, the dude is really fvcking awesome at pitching.  Already with 14 K and no BB through his 9 innings so far in 2022.