2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Double dip today...with two NINE inning games to boot!  

Not even going to be 50 degrees today...yikes.

On 4/18/2022 at 11:50 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So even with the NL adopting a DH, overall MLB is still hitting just .233, you’re still more likely to see a strikeout than a hit, and the game feels just as broken as it ever has.  And apparently 5 is the new 6…as in, starting pitchers are often being taken out in the fifth inning now.  Maybe it’s a side effect of a shortened spring training, but it also reeks of the latest sabermetric geek nonsense:  “Nope, can’t have guys facing lineups a third time, the world will end!”

Gotta wonder if these bullpens are all going to hold up.

At least the Mets are 7-3.

And the games are still either A. 1-0, 2-1 with 6 total hits between both teams K fests

Or B. 18-2, 12-10...slugfests, one sided or both teams lighting up each other. But it's terribly unbalanced

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Double dip today...with two NINE inning games to boot!  

Not even going to be 50 degrees today...yikes.

Not ideal with our already shaky pen, ideally we get 13 innings from Max/Megill but at some point Megill is gonna get a market correction 

Well at least they fought back to tie it up.  And yeah Megill (and the starters) are going to give up some runs eventually.

Wow, what an impressive DH sweep...not much offense in either game, but just enough with the pitching locking stuff down.  Max ain't having any NY adjustment period like so many other big names that come here (not that I actually expected one either, cause that's who he is and he's pitched in big markets and situations all his career).

Edited by NJDevs4978

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

Wow, what an impressive DH sweep...not much offense in either game, but just enough with the pitching locking stuff down.

Yeah, taking two off a damned good team.  Impressive as hell.

9-3…just keep banking wins early.  

And kudos to Megill for throwing three scoreless innings after a couple of tougher frames, and Scherzer for going 7.  13 innings combined from your starters in a DH is pretty damned good these days.

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And kudos to Megill for throwing three scoreless innings after a couple of tougher frames, and Scherzer for going 7.  13 innings combined from your starters in a DH is pretty damned good these days.

I said that was the target before the DH in an ideal world, but I wasn't sure we were actually getting it lol

• Like 1

MLB overall batting average now down to .231.  Imagine what it would be if NL pitchers were still hitting.

Still very early in the season of course…and fortunately (mostly due to the season’s first two games), the Mets are one of the teams actually hitting…they have a .251 team BA at the moment.  They also lead in the majors in OB%, at .350 (12 HBP has definitely helped that number).  

11 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL figures Cano flops with a chance to actually get the Mets back in the game, and Dom (who hasn't done sh!t himself) lines into hard luck.

Cano clearly needs to cheat to be good…he wouldn’t keep doing it otherwise.  We’ll see if he can put up somewhat respectable numbers without being juiced.  

Carrasco turning in a VERY today 6 innings so far…just 71 pitches thrown.

Oh and love the fact that Marcus “I act like I’m so much better than I really am” Stroman has gotten shelled in his last two starts.  Screw that guy.  

Make that 7 tidy innings, 82 pitches.  Might actually have a shot at a CG.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yeah not a thing to complain about so far…pen is still iffy, but not many teams without flaws somewhere.  Four series wins…excellent work.

And as big as Buck’s addition was, the Mets also low key managed to both clean out some of the egos in the locker room (Stro, Thor, probably Conforto too) while bringing in true vet leaders and no-nonsense guys, which also helps clubhouse culture.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

Yeah Stroman is a pretty good pitcher at best who thinks he’s this major stud.  I never wanted him back on a long-term, multi-year deal.  With Noah, it just reached a point where how patient were the Mets supposed to be?  A mediocre 2019 and then of course out for 2020 and damned near all of 2021…it just felt like it was time to move on.

Conforto is a loser.  Some nice numbers at times but he’s basically Nick Swisher.  No one’s afraid of Conforto hurting them with the game on the line.  I still love that Boras misread the market at badly as he did…for once, his extremely annoying (though often effective) tactics finally and fully blew up in his and his client’s face.  fvck you $cotty.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I’m not a Phil Mushnick fan in the slightest…he’s that cranky old curmudgeon who’ll go on and on how much things were better in HIS day (all the while completely ignoring the many things from his day that were completely fvcked, of which there were many, as there are in EVERY era).

But he wrote a solid article about how analytics are choking the fun and simple common sense out of baseball.  Agree with every last thing that he wrote.

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’m not a Phil Mushnick fan in the slightest…he’s that cranky old curmudgeon who’ll go on and on how much things were better in HIS day (all the while completely ignoring the many things from his day that were completely fvcked, of which there were many, as there are in EVERY era).

But he wrote a solid article about how analytics are choking the fun and simple common sense out of baseball.  Agree with every last thing that he wrote.

It’s kind of hilarious that BA, HR and slugging are all way down this year, maybe the humidors in every stadium are deflating numbers. Or baseball deadened the ball again after the joke that was the last two years. Hard to take the sport seriously when they have to keep fiddling with the equipment and atmosphere.

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It’s kind of hilarious that BA, HR and slugging are all way down this year, maybe the humidors in every stadium are deflating numbers. Or baseball deadened the ball again after the joke that was the last two years. Hard to take the sport seriously when they have to keep fiddling with the equipment and atmosphere.

Yeah you can tell that MLB knows that people are losing interest (especially with younger fans not embracing the game the way that they once did) and they’re not quite sure what to do about it.  Liven the balls…no, deaden the balls.