2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

And btw I don't want to hear 'but a close race is entertaining, it makes it more fun!'...yeah easy for other people to say, Met fans usually get fvcked over in close races.  1969, 1986, 1988, 2006 and 2015 were all runaways in September, the only close race we ever won was 1973 when we were dogsh!t for five months and the division came back to us.  We lose every god damn close race known to man otherwise...this year, 2007, 2008, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1999-2000...

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Angry 1

The gutlessness will continue tomorrow. It'll be a sweep. They're folding and a dead team walking. And this will likely psychologically cripple them too. They wont make it out of the Wild Card. Losing the division is an embarrassment

Why the hell are sh!ts like Naquin and green rookies like Alvarez even getting at bats (cost us yest) in these games. This is why you needed a bat at the deadline Eppler

I'd go in draftkings right now and put $ on Morton not giving up a run tomorrow

Edited by '7'

8 minutes ago, '7' said:

The gutlessness will continue tomorrow. It'll be a sweep. They're folding and a dead team walking. 

Actually, I could see them winning tomorrow…

and then immediately losing two to the Nats at home.  That’s as Same Ol Mets as it gets.  

They won't win tomorrow, but then they'll probably win the first two games against the Nats as the Braves lose one to give us one more tease before Jake loses a 2-1 game in #162 or the Braves have some miracle comeback in their game.

Nvm forgot the deficit would actually be TWO plus the tiebreaker after tomorrow...googly moogly, yeah bracing out a win tomorrow is the only way they have one more tease left.

Edited by NJDevs4978

5 hours ago, MB3 said:

crazy that even though the worst case scenario happens, you’re looking at what’s very likely the division deciding game tomorrow.

a mets win means they just need to match what atlanta does, against a much inferior opponent. a braves win means one more atlanta win or one more mets loss and the division belongs to atlanta. 

let’s go mets!

Yeah the irony is that somehow the Mets STILL control their own destiny.  But lose tonight and that’s that.  

• Like 1

McCan’t cannot be a Met next season.  He’s gotta fvcking go.

Two runs were not enough that inning…especially the way it started.  

So Bassitt’s Charmin soft too.  Wow have these guys disappointed this series.  

1 hour ago, '7' said:

And the Mets have started this game...exactly how we expected. Blowing a chance and then immediately trailing

The Braves must be laughing at how weak the Mets are.  When the going got tough…the Mets left the building.

And I was all for Buck being named manager and I still think he’s the guy for the job, but not like he’s won any championships either.  

Lindor now 0-for-3.

Oh and in another shocker, Mets go down 1-2-3 in their half of the 4th.

Even sadder is it’s not even like this is a young team of kids learning how to win in these bigger series…it’s a right now team full of aging vets and it will likely look a good bit different next season.  This team has peaked, and we’re now seeing what it really is.  And that’s not quite good enough or tough enough to go all the way.  This is as good as this particular group will ever be.

Morton has shown more toughness in this start than Jake, Max, and Bassitt did in this series combined.  Guy finding a way to gut out some more innings.  Take note Chrissy.

This stage and the majors too much for Alvarez at this point.  Feel for the kid.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Lindor now 2-for-11 in this series, no HR, no RBI, 5 K.  Says it all.  Reyes Part Deux.

LMAO did we really think Lugo wasn’t giving up a run in this game?

Game, set, series.  Kudos to the Braves…that’s a team and organization that knows how to play on the brightest stages and knows how to win.  And they just proved it again.

Same ol fvcking Mets.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

6 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

I guess the Mets are going to have to do this the hard way.

They won't...they proved what gutless pussies they are this series when the chips were really down - as usual.  Did anyone besides maybe Jeff McNeil show the fvck up?  Braves-Mets are like what Yankees-Red Sox used to be, continually being beclowned by the same franchise who shows time and again how they're winners and we're losers.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Thanks 1

The players deserve plenty of blame, but for me, it goes back to Eppler’s pathetic deadline deals.  Players who really could’ve helped were available, and he went full Sandy and decided to get cute.  That’s why two kids who clearly aren’t ready in Vientos and Alvarez had to be called on to try to help.

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The players deserve plenty of blame, but for me, it goes back to Eppler’s pathetic deadline deals.  Players who really could’ve helped were available, and he went full Sandy and decided to get cute.  That’s why two kids who clearly aren’t ready in Vientos and Alvarez had to be called on to try to help.

Not only that but they were dumb enough to wait until the last possible moment in desperation time to call either up (particularly Alvarez)...why I and others were screaming to call them up in June BEFORE the trade deadline was:

A - to see if they were ready or not and know if another option was truly here for this year before you had to make moves

B - to give the kids more frigging time to adjust to major league pitching rather than just throwing them in the deep end of the pool without a life raft

C - so that they wouldn't have to be in damn savior mode when we were in June with a multi-game lead.  That's what the Braves did with their kids and voila, they all had stud turns while ours mostly dudded.

• Like 1

And I know baseball (like all sports) can be kooky and maybe the Mets go on some kind of postseason run…but I’m not seeing it.  At all.  deGrom is already out of here mentally, and it turns out there’s a bunch of guys here who can fatten up against the Pirates and A’s, but will be nowhere to be found against the top teams.  Sucks because we’re going to have to get used to the second coming of Wright and Reyes failing in a lot of big spots, no matter how good their quick-glance numbers might look by the end of any given season.  Some guys have the knack for coming up huge when the spotlight’s shining at its brightest.  Not those two.

Not to mention since the mid '80's this is our franchise history in close races:

1984 - Finished 6.5 GB
1985 - Finished 3 GB
1987 - Finished 3 GB
1989 - Finished 6 GB
1990 - Finished 4 GB
1999 - Finished 6.5 GB of the division, lost again to ATL in the NLCS
2000 - Finished 1 GB of the division
2001 - Finished 6 GB
2007 - Finished 1 GB of the division and WC
2008 - Finished 3 GB of the division, lost the WC on the last day
2022 - Finished 2 GB (and counting?)

Whereas you have in 1986 winning by 21.5, 1988 winning by 15, 2006 winning by 12 and 2015 where they won by 7 and it wasn't even that close after pulling away in early September before we went on a who cares swoon the last week or two.  The only close races we've ever won as a franchise were the 1973 division with a mediocre record and the 2016 wild card where we didn't exactly get to enjoy THAT for long. 

And I was just looking at division races, I wasn't even including '98 where we choked away the wild card with five straight losses to end the season.

Edited by NJDevs4978