2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

39 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

More and more every year I wish we had a couple of Whitey Herzog style teams that win games with speed and defense. You would think someone would decide at some point that if everyone is trying to win one way, it’s just not going to work for everyone.

re: last night it was about time to see someone else’s pen bite them for a change. Especially when this looked like yet another bullpen loss for us

You know how I feel about this...I would love some franchise to put together an ol' fashioned smallball team.  But sadly I think kids who have inherit smallball abilities are told early on "No kid, you need to hit for more power."  There probably aren't enough smallball players around anymore...they get left behind for sluggers who yeah, can go yard 25+ times per year, but who also strike out like crazy and stubbornly refuse to stop hitting directly into shifts.  I'm sorry, but there's guys in the past who would've put the time in to hitting to vacated areas of the field, to make shifts against them that much less effective.

What's funny about SO many managers (who are being micro-managed by meddlesome GMs) is that how many times do you see a starter who appears to be dialing taken out early (oh nooooooooo, he might actually face a lineup for a third time)...so right away, let's entrust all of these mediocre bullpens with taking the games home.  That's why I loved that Buck let McGill pitch into the seventh, even if he gave up a run in the process.

What's sad is that the Mets are 13-5, in first by a nice gap (considering how early it is), and I don't see them and think "What a powerhouse!"  I more see them as being less bad at the 2022 version of baseball than a lot of other teams.  They have some good pitching obviously (Scherzer really is special...more on him in a bit), but the Mets have allowed 113 hits in 161 IP...an average of 6.3 per 9 IP.  Not only does this NOT lead the majors (Dodgers are allowed a measly 6 hits per 9 IP), but the Mets are one of SIX teams to allow less than 7 hits per 9 IP.  Only four teams are allowing more hits than IP on their young seasons...this should not be fvcking happening, I'm sorry.  The Met offense is an absolute barnburner by today's nonexistent standards, but I don't watch them play and think "OMG, these guys are deadly!"...they damned near got shut out last night, and have definitely looked plenty meh at times...which makes me wonder what it must be like if you're watching one many of the other teams mucking it up at the plate. 

Re:  Scherzer, you just realize how fvcking GOOD he is...and most importantly, durable...guy has over 2500 IP in his arm and he'll still going strong...totally has that "Give me the ball and I'll do the rest!"  deGrom may not even make it to 2000 IP (currently at 1261.2)...and like every Met fan, I love watching deGrom do this thing, but I'm not sure how much longer he'll really be able to do it.  I can see him coming back, looking like a beast in 6 or 7 starts (though only going 5 or 6 IP in each start), then some other injury.  I know Scherzer's isn't quite the innings beast that he once was, but I feel like he'll give the Mets 160-180 IP of terrific pitching for a couple of years.  Not sure deGrom will ever stay healthy enough to do the same from here on out.

And this isn't to jump on the Max bandwagon...I think when all is fully right with Jake, he's the very best, and he's every bit as competitive as Max.  I just don't think all will ever be fully right with him ever again...and that's both sad and frustrating as well.  His body is simply breaking down.    

And one last note, re:  80s baseball...I bring you 1986:

MLB average:  .258

Total hits:  36880

Total Ks:  24706

Yep...over TWELVE THOUSAND more hits than strikeouts.  Actual fvcking BALANCE.

By comparison, 2021:

MLB average:  .244

Total hits:  39484 (obviously more teams playing)

Total Ks:  42145

Bleech       

Three more Met hitters plunked.  18 total for the season.  This is just fvcking nuts. 

8 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The Cards and all these other teams with their headhunting can fvck off, Mets just keep on beating their asses on the scoreboard 

Bassitt really lit into MLB last night...basically said that MLB knows that this year's baseballs are total sh!t and that they couldn't care less about it being an issue.

What's scary is that the Mets who commented don't think this is intentional, and it's due to pitchers having no feel for these baseballs whatsoever...be that as it may, yeah, eventually these guys are going to lose their sh!t.   

• Thanks 1

Jon Heyman noticing what everyone else is:  the MLB product currently on display is not good enough:

Why baseball offenses are struggling and how MLB can fix it (nypost.com)

Matz with a classic Matz kind of inning there...would've been nice if Lindor hadn't whiffed...Matz was in full-on crumble mode...saw that many times here when he was a Met.  

Arrrrrrrrrgh...baseballs aside, three things:

1) I'm sorry, feels like the hitters kinda let Matz off the hook.  Felt he like got off much lighter than he should have...Mets were one more hit away from really burying him.  Would've been nice if Carrasco has managed to stick around as long as Matz did, but I think Carrasco will have some solid starts and some lousy ones...a bit of a wild card.   

2) Reid-Foley sucks, but I don't blame Buck for confirming it by bringing him in.  Buck gave him a shot and he didn't get it done...when it's an April game (and April can sometimes feel like extended spring training, especially this year), you take a chance on a guy who's struggling and see if he can show you something.  But it feels like Reid-Foley is punching his ticket out of here.

3) I'm not going to pretend every last game in a winnable entity...Mets are going to lose at least 60 games of course.  6 series wins and a 14-6 record to start the season?  Yeah we're ALL signing up for that.  So even if they had a three-run lead and still lose today, so be it.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Oh, and Reid-Foley walks a sh!t-ton of guys too...64 of them in 101.1 IP career innings, and on top of that, he doesn't really suppress hits all that much either (94 hits allowed...basically he's giving up a ton of baserunners).  This is the kind of guy you move on from.  

Top of the 7th, Nido on first, no outs, top of the lineup coming up.  If there's some crazy miracle comeback in the cards, guess it's now or never.

Mets get one back, but Pete makes the final out with Lindor on second.  Pete's power seems to have gone on hiatus for now...10 games without an XBH (including today).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Bassitt really lit into MLB last night...basically said that MLB knows that this year's baseballs are total sh!t and that they couldn't care less about it being an issue.

What's scary is that the Mets who commented don't think this is intentional, and it's due to pitchers having no feel for these baseballs whatsoever...be that as it may, yeah, eventually these guys are going to lose their sh!t.   

Yeah I just saw this now…MLB is a fvcking joke

59 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Maybe you should have thought of that before Alonso got clocked in the head and JDD in the foot. Your guy wasn’t even hit. All that pitch was, was an old school brushback.

Seriously…go fvck yourself Ollie…you fvcking c**t.  Guess it’s OK when your opponent gets hit right in the fvcking HEAD.  

Well, even if it took five pitchers to do it, no-hitting that Phillies offense is still a nice accomplishment.  Just glad it wasn't the first no-hitter in franchise history lol.  It's a nice moment for Diaz to finish it off and get that on-camera interview, maybe we'll finally fully get the 60+ save Diaz that Brodie traded for.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah gotta admit I was waiting for Diaz to give up 2+ hits…and instead he ends this thing on an exclamation point.

With baseball “evolving” to what it’s become, suffice it to say that combined no-hitters are going to become more commonplace.  

Holy crap. Where on earth did that come from? Yea the fact that it's combined...not quite the same as a single pitcher doing it. Still it was a wonderful franchise moment that builds momentum within the team that this could be a special year. And of course love how it was against the Phillies.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah gotta admit I was waiting for Diaz to give up 2+ hits…and instead he ends this thing on an exclamation point.

With baseball “evolving” to what it’s become, suffice it to say that combined no-hitters are going to become more commonplace.  

And you hear a lot of Mets haters trying to marginalize it...a not hitter is still a no hitter. It's incredibly hard to hold a team to 0 hits over 9

I've always hated how people brought up the Beltran missed call during Johans and tried to invalidate it. As if it's the only missed call during a no hitter or perfect game. Should we pick those apart and invalidate them all? No...seems like they only want to take away the Mets one

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, '7' said:

And you hear a lot of Mets haters trying to marginalize it...a not hitter is still a no hitter. It's incredibly hard to hold a team to 0 hits over 9

I've always hated how people brought up the Beltran missed call during Johans and tried to invalidate it. As if it's the only missed call during a no hitter or perfect game. Should we pick those apart and invalidate them all? No...seems like they only want to take away the Mets one

Agree that whether it’s a singular or combined effort, a no-hitter is still a hell of a feat.

I can’t lie, I’ve always tied a mental asterisk next to Santana’s no-hitter, simply because the Beltran call was clearly wrong.  Hard to know if there was an equally blown call in any other no-hitter…especially the ones that came before TV broadcasts were available.  

Not like every reliever is going to get the job done every time out, but Ottavino is simply not good…when he was a big-time hit suppressor a while back, he could be beastly, but now that he no longer has that ability (and still walks a lot of guys), he’s an issue.