2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

7 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Seven straight series wins…16-7, keep it up boys

They’re going to lose a series at some point obviously, but man, if they can find a way to take 3 out of 4 from the defending WS Champs, they’ll really have put themselves firmly in the driver’s seat for a while.  That would make the Mets 19-8 and the Braves 11-16.  The wider the gap early on, the better…you just know that the Braves will eventually go on some kind of run.  

So god damn sick of looking at Schwarber. It hurts less though when you win

They tagged Scherzer a bit in this one, wasn't his usual dominant self...but the Phillies do have some hitters so this will happen from time to time. Still got through 6 and K'd 9. Got the W since our offense showed up

Now the real test begins with the Braves coming in

Edited by '7'

I know I shouldn't fall into this trap, but the 86 Mets 23 games in were 19-4. With how good this team has been so far...that team still had 3 more wins at the same juncture. For whatever reason I thought they were about neck and neck at the same point.

Though it wasnt until late May that they really started to distance themself from the rest of the NL East. Only up 3 on Montreal. By mid June they were up double digits (11.5 on the Expos) and were gone. The rest of the division pretty much knew it too

This Braves series coming up, Atlanta has lost 2 in a row...I want to see the Mets drop a hammer on them like they did St. Louis early in 86, that 4 game sweep at Busch. Being 8 up when this series ends would be fantastic...but being 10 up would really send a message to the Braves, the division, and the entire league

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, '7' said:

I know I shouldn't fall into this trap, but the 86 Mets 23 games in were 19-4. With how good this team has been so far...that team still had 3 more wins at the same juncture. For whatever reason I thought they were about neck and neck at the same point.

Though it wasnt until late May that they really started to distance themself from the rest of the NL East. By mid June they were up double digits and were gone. The rest of the division pretty much knew it too

The 1986 team was an absolute juggernaut...they went on that 18-1 tear that took them to 20-4...and yeah, I had forgotten that even when they were 23-9, they were only 3 games up...IIRC the Expos were kinda in the hunt for a little while, but yeah, by mid-June that thing was as over as it gets.

This team seems more "steady wins the race"...the fact that they've won seven series without a sweep says a lot (given the small sample size, anyway).  I don't see them going on major tears but I also don't see them going to any major funks...that works for me.

8 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It really is a new day

Reiterates what we already know about Cohen...he literally does not give a fvck.  So many teams (hell, I'd say EVERY other team) couldn't deal with swallowing Cano's money, even though his taking up a roster spot hurts the on-field product.  He'd get some chances to try to show anything at all based on the contract alone...not here.  This is obviously 100% for the good of the team, but wow, that's a hell of a financial jagged pill to ingest.

And one last fvck you to BVW.  Sad that Cohen couldn't have bought the team earlier...than that corporate douchebag wannabe "See I can be a GM!" jerk never gets a job that he had no business ever getting.

Also like that Lindor clearly had no say in this…and he shouldn’t.  Stick to playing good baseball Francisco.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The 1986 team was an absolute juggernaut...they went on that 18-1 tear that took them to 20-4...and yeah, I had forgotten that even when they were 23-9, they were only 3 games up...IIRC the Expos were kinda in the hunt for a little while, but yeah, by mid-June that thing was as over as it gets.

This team seems more "steady wins the race"...the fact that they've won seven series without a sweep says a lot (given the small sample size, anyway).  I don't see them going on major tears but I also don't see them going to any major funks...that works for me.

Reiterates what we already know about Cohen...he literally does not give a fvck.  So many teams (hell, I'd say EVERY other team) couldn't deal with swallowing Cano's money, even though his taking up a roster spot hurts the on-field product.  He'd get some chances to try to show anything at all based on the contract alone...not here.  This is obviously 100% for the good of the team, but wow, that's a hell of a financial jagged pill to ingest.

And one last fvck you to BVW.  Sad that Cohen couldn't have bought the team earlier...than that corporate douchebag wannabe "See I can be a GM!" jerk never gets a job that he had no business ever getting.

And that's the way to do it. With Buck leading the way and Cohen at the helm there's a new air of professionalism, consistency with how the entire franchise operates top to bottom. Making the right decision, a hard one like this where you know it may bother some guys in the clubhouse short term(Lindor) but is good for the team long term. No chance Cano is dfa'd if this is still a Wilpon owned tean.

Last year was chaotic as the last elements of the Wilpon circus had to be removed. This year we have real stability and direction.

It’s funny ‘7’, it’s almost like the Cohen regime did one last sweep of the old Wilpon house before moving out, found Cano in the attic, and then someone asked, “OK, what are doing with this?”  At which point Steve said “Just leave it, we don’t need it.”

And now it feels like more than ever, the Mets have fully moved out of the Wilpon house.  For good.

38 minutes ago, '7' said:

And that's the way to do it. With Buck leading the way and Cohen at the helm there's a new air of professionalism, consistency with how the entire franchise operates top to bottom. Making the right decision, a hard one like this where you know it may bother some guys in the clubhouse short term(Lindor) but is good for the team long term. No chance Cano is dfa'd if this is still a Wilpon owned tean.

Last year was chaotic as the last elements of the Wilpon circus had to be removed. This year we have real stability and direction.

I don't want to get on Lindor too much (he's been good this year, though slowing up some lately...he has a .635 OBS over his last 11 GP), but it's almost as though the Mets said "We don't need your input on personnel decisions", which I like a lot...and I believe that Lindor is the kind of guy who would love to play assistant GM, and have Eppler make deals to bring some of his buddies in.  And I think that wouldn't be good for the Mets.  Let Lindor make tons of money and hopefully play reasonably well for the first several years of his deal...but I don't want him having any power or pull at all.   

3 hours ago, '7' said:

So god damn sick of looking at Schwarber. It hurts less though when you win

They tagged Scherzer a bit in this one, wasn't his usual dominant self...but the Phillies do have some hitters so this will happen from time to time. Still got through 6 and K'd 9. Got the W since our offense showed up

Now the real test begins with the Braves coming in

I can handle a split...just don't lose 3 or more in this series.  That's the kind of thing that can galvanize a team like the Braves in a hurry...if the Braves win the series, all of a sudden they're 13-14 or 14-13, feeling better about themselves, and not all that far behind the Mets.

As the season wears on, I can see the Mets going 6-4 or 5-5 over most 10-game stretches...doesn't sound that impressive, but if they can stay way from those truly dreadful dips (like 1-9 or 2-8), just being steady and consistent is enough...suddenly it's September and 95+ wins are within reach.

It's funny...in some ways the Mets are winning in spite of themselves:

They are getting NOTHING from their catchers offensively.  McCann has a .536 OPS, and Nido (who could easily wrest the starting gig away from McCann if he got even a little hot) has put up a pathetic .401 OPS...seriously, Jake would be a tougher out for most pitchers these days.  Will be interesting to see if that position gets addressed, even if it's strictly for short-term help...McCann now has a .632 OPS as a Met, in 136 games...not so far off from the .653 mark he managed as a Tiger.  Not good.  

Alonso and Marte each lead the team with 18 RBI, but neither looks quite right...Alonso's slashing .250/.320/.420 (you expect better than a .740 OPS, even with humiditor-deadened baseballs), and Marte is at .225/.289/.315.  They've obviously had their moments, but neither one is exactly lighting the world on fire at the moment.  Alonso's OB% is a little bloated by the HBPs.  

Still, the team is batting a healthy .262 (2nd overall in MLB), and averaging 4.7 runs per game...hopefully as guys like Canha and Jankowski inevitably cool off, other guys heat up...maybe Dom's and Guillorme doing that right now.  But I'll take Top-10 in runs scored and a team BA over .260 any day...that's as un-Sandy-like as it gets.  

LOL so apparently MLB waited till less than an hour before tonight’s game before suspending Buck for that stupid brushback sequence with Schwarber last night (Lopez got three games but he was sent down), while not even fining the Cardinals coach who blindsided Alonso last week…ridiculous 

47 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL so apparently MLB waited till less than an hour before tonight’s game before suspending Buck for that stupid brushback sequence with Schwarber last night (Lopez got three games but he was sent down), while not even fining the Cardinals coach who blindsided Alonso last week…ridiculous 

That is really fvcking stupid.  Jesus H.

fvcking Trevor May.  Sorry, this guy should be mopping up for a while.  Loser.

One game doesn’t undo a terrific start, but goddamn, this game has such a “same ol Mets” feel to it.  Braves coming up with all of the big hits (and OFC d’Arnaud is the one to come up with a huge tack-on double), and the Mets bats disappear once the Braves take the lead.  Just one of those very frustrating kind of nights.  

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

Damn May has an 8.64 ERA? We might be getting into Steve Trachsel land soon (ie the demotion to work out your sh!t), if not a phantom IL stint

And yeah this kind of does feel like a typical Mets-Braves game

I’m kinda done with May because to me he represents the Alderson way of doing business.  But I know he’ll get plenty of chances.

Here comes the final act…the part where the Mets go down with little more than a whimper.

Obviously if the Mets sweep the DH tomorrow or at least split this series, we’ll take it.  But tonight just felt way too much Iike old times…especially against THIS opponent.

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And btw now if this team does go in a slump you know the bullsh!t is going to start how they messed the karma by dumping the players pied piper (Cano)

I really don’t want to overreact to this game…it’s the way they’re losing that has me ornery.

And that’s that.  Mets at least made Jansen work some to get the save.  

48 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Damn May has an 8.64 ERA? We might be getting into Steve Trachsel land soon (ie the demotion to work out your sh!t), if not a phantom IL stint

And yeah this kind of does feel like a typical Mets-Braves game

Welp

And then there were three...

As in three teams batting over .250.  One is the Rockies (duh), and other two are the Mets and Guardians.  League is now batting .232.  

In other news, Kelenic might indeed turn out to be a star player, but it's looking more and more like he was rushed up:  his career slash over 451 major-league PA is .173/.255/.339...his career OPS+ is 67.  And he's in a hell of a slump right now:  over his last 34 AB, his slash is .088/.162/.177, to go with 19 K.  He turns 23 in July, so not like he can't figure sh!t out...but gotta wonder how much longer the Mariners keep him up.