Free agent goalies article by Lebrun

Rock

16 minutes ago, Rock said:

Fleury. Kuemper, Husso, Campbell

The question is, how old do we want to go and how much do we want to spend?

I don't think Fleury will sign here, he will want a playoff contender. Plus he is 37 years old and clearly not the goalie of our future. Prime age to be injured after 3 games and leave us in teh same situation again. Hard pass. 

Kuemper has been outstanding and will be looking for a huge contract. Presently has a $4.5m hit, will likely get over $6m and will want a lot of term. 

Campbell  has a 27-9 record with a .912 GAA. That tells me he gets a lot of support from Matthews & Co. in the scoring department. 30 years old with a $1.65m cap hit. Maybe a little older than I was looking for. 

That brings us to Husso, who I think is our best option. 27 year old making $750k a season, he is going to get a huge raise. I don't know what that will mean. I am assuming somewhere in the $5-6m range based on Ullmark, Demko, and Shesterkin being around that number. How many years do you give him at $5.5m?

• Like 1

This year market is svck. Only Husso is lookin like a good free agent, and I can’t say that he is our 100% solution. First good season. But he is the only one we have. Other guys are older or injury prone or older injury prone. Guy like Kuemper hurts himself more often than Clowe, he isn’t young and his numbers are quite the same as Francous and Grubauer. And we know how Grubauer deal with new team is lookin now. Kuemper is old, injury prone and I think he is Good team product.

I really don’t know how Fitz can solve this problem this summer. But he must to solve it. 

I do really think Fitz must sign free agent from Europe, sign Husso and/or make a trade for guys like Vladar. Maybe Hellebuyck is available. Can’t imagine how much Jets will ask for him.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't think Fleury will sign here, he will want a playoff contender. Plus he is 37 years old and clearly not the goalie of our future. Prime age to be injured after 3 games and leave us in teh same situation again. Hard pass. 

Kuemper has been outstanding and will be looking for a huge contract. Presently has a $4.5m hit, will likely get over $6m and will want a lot of term. 

Campbell  has a 27-9 record with a .912 GAA. That tells me he gets a lot of support from Matthews & Co. in the scoring department. 30 years old with a $1.65m cap hit. Maybe a little older than I was looking for. 

That brings us to Husso, who I think is our best option. 27 year old making $750k a season, he is going to get a huge raise. I don't know what that will mean. I am assuming somewhere in the $5-6m range based on Ullmark, Demko, and Shesterkin being around that number. How many years do you give him at $5.5m?

If the Devils land Husso and McKay, I'll be good with that.  Neither's a sure thing, but most teams are hanging on to their sure things in net these days...gonna have to take some chances.  And the Devils can't seem to develop any sure things of their own, so...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If the Devils land Husso and McKay, I'll be good with that.  Neither's a sure thing, but most teams are hanging on to their sure things in net these days...gonna have to take some chances.  And the Devils can't seem to develop any sure things of their own, so...

Husso may be the most desirable candidate on the UFA list, I would be more than happy if they just get him. 

• Like 1

1187338658_Screenshot_20220413-222107_TheAthletic.thumb.jpg.5c9d8f72efab4731fcadc9670f81c6ea.jpg

1474223877_Screenshot_20220413-222150_TheAthletic.thumb.jpg.2209e1f92b84c76ec17b648cb21301ce.jpg

1447210362_Screenshot_20220413-222141_TheAthletic.thumb.jpg.e579c426d8f72b75b6c39075405d9df5.jpg

The most relevant parts of the article.

Lebrun is just throwing names out as seeing if anything sticks to be honest. 

The Devil's actually have a dilemma in the fact that we have a lot of Goalies in the system. It's just that the majority of them are such an uncertainty you wouldn't want to bet on any of them being a solution long term. 

I think both Schmid and Daws deserve another season in Utica. So if you go for Mckay where does he fit in? I only see is being able to do something if Bernier is done or Blackwood is ok the move. 

19 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

The Blues are solid defensively and that helps his numbers, that said, if he is really capable of a .925 sv% on the Devils, I would give him the $5.5m for 6 years.

10 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

The Blues are solid defensively and that helps his numbers, that said, if he is really capable of a .925 sv% on the Devils, I would give him the $5.5m for 6 years.

No goalie not named Vasilevskiy or Shestyorkin should get that kind of term in this day and age. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I would be more inclined to give 3 years, maybe 4. 

Three is definitely more palatable. Four…. It would really depend on who we’d be signing and what the circumstances are. If we’re competing against some other team for a goalie like Husso and the fourth year is being offered and we have to offer it to get him, I’d probably do it. 

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Three is definitely more palatable. Four…. It would really depend on who we’d be signing and what the circumstances are. If we’re competing against some other team for a goalie like Husso and the fourth year is being offered and we have to offer it to get him, I’d probably do it. 

That’s my thinking, you may need to give the 4th to get him. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I certainly wouldn’t be crazy about it…. But we need help, so sometimes you gotta bite the bullet. 

Yeah if the Devils could just hit on one damned goalie pick, they don’t have to take a risk like this.  But we know the drill.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 5:52 PM, Puckbuster said:

They are not good defensively. They are not horribly bad or really bad, but they are average or even  below average.

On 4/14/2022 at 10:52 AM, Puckbuster said:

I’d give him partial ownership of the franchise if he could pull off that miracle. 

If he's widely considered the best FA goalie out there throughout the league, he'll probably have multiple options and I would  think most of them better situations.  Considering his age I would also assume he's going to look to cash in on what's likely to be his one and only deal that runs with a good amount of term. In other words I can't see anyway he'd take a 3 year deal unless we were the only bidders.

I don't know enough about the guy to know if he's the answer or not, I do know I would like to see them cut bait with the two they currently have.  I think it's a risk you almost have to take, same with anybody but Ruff and Co as a coaching staff.