GDT: Carolina @ Devils 12:30 PM MSG

MadDog2020

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

So basically out of the Hall trade we have ended up with Mercer, Hammond, and a fringe NHL defender.  Yay!

Mercer alone is a win for half a season worth of Taylor Hall. He could very well end up being a core piece going forward. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Some of you are acting like he flung into the slot or something. He did his best to get it up ice while being pinned on the board. There should have been another Devil waiting for the outlet pass in this clip. 

They were trying to change. Doing anything else with the puck besides a soft pass to a Carolina player would’ve been better.

15 minutes ago, devlman said:

Hard disagree on you’re assessment of Bahl and Foote. Foote played 5 mins. He’s had a good year down in Utica otherwise.

They are looking to be AAAA players.  Foote looks like the second coming of Reid Boucher with his skating ability (minus the sex offender stuff).

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Mercer alone is a win for half a season worth of Taylor Hall. He could very well end up being a core piece going forward. 

That's why Mercer has to work out.  He had a good start this season, but is now up to 15 games without a goal.

The other parts of that deal has basically turned out to be spare parts.

14 minutes ago, devlman said:

They were trying to change. Doing anything else with the puck besides a soft pass to a Carolina player would’ve been better.

This is just one sh!t decision in a long line of sh!t decisions. It isn't like this was uncharistic. DMen get caught under pressure in their own zone all the time, that doesn't mean the expectation shifts to it being okay to just throw the puck into open ice. He could have pinned the puck against the boards until the forwards dropped back or the refs called the play dead. Anything is better than what he did.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

They are looking to be AAAA players.  Foote looks like the second coming of Reid Boucher with his skating ability (minus the sex offender stuff).

That's why Mercer has to work out.  He had a good start this season, but is now up to 15 games without a goal.

The other parts of that deal has basically turned out to be spare parts.

C’mon, Mercer is a 20-year-old rookie…don’t forget that he wasn’t any lock to play on the big club this season, yet it looks like he’s going to play in all 82 games.  If he’s not a solid contributor by his Age 23 season, then sure, that will be disappointing.  But hard to imagine that he won’t improve and become more consistent with experience.  

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Oh and one more thing; Bahl looks at best a fringe NHL defender.  Okhotyiuk looks 10x better than him only 2 games in.

So basically out of the Hall trade we have ended up with Mercer, Hammond, and a fringe NHL defender.  Yay!

I think I prefer having Mercer to having Hall right now. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

C’mon, Mercer is a 20-year-old rookie…don’t forget that he wasn’t any lock to play on the big club this season, yet it looks like he’s going to play in all 82 games.  If he’s not a solid contributor by his Age 23 season, then sure, that will be disappointing.  But hard to imagine that he won’t improve and become more consistent with experience.  

Yeah the sh!tting on Mercer is now reaching absurd proportions. He’s had a fine year. He hit the rookie wall. He wasn’t even supposed to be here yet. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah the sh!tting on Mercer is now reaching absurd proportions. He’s had a fine year. He hit the rookie wall. He wasn’t even supposed to be here yet. 

Further, if he hadn’t hit the rookie wall, he would be in Calder contention. He wouldn’t win, but now he’s not in the conversation unless you ask about the top 10 or so. 

It will wind up being a very nice rookie year for a guy, as you mentioned, who wasn’t expected to make the team. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, devlman said:

Probably not the best time for that considering the puck was deep in the defensive zone. But that’s 3-on-3 OT for you. Any little mistake is likely to end up in the back of your net with all that open ice. 

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Hall is a spare part himself these days. I’d absolutely rather have Mercer.

Imagine having the Hall of the last two seasons on some mega-deal extension here.  We’d all be killing him constantly.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Further, if he hadn’t hit the rookie wall, he would be in Calder contention. He wouldn’t win, but now he’s not in the conversation unless you ask about the top 10 or so. 

It will wind up being a very nice rookie year for a guy, as you mentioned, who wasn’t expected to make the team. 

Hell, you have a 26 year old leading rookie scoring. You have to compare Mercer to other players in his own draft class to really appreciate the season he had. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Hell, you have a 26 year old leading rookie scoring. You have to compare Mercer to other players in his own draft class to really appreciate the season he had. 

If you are talking who had a good season, sure. I’m only talking about the Calder. Bunting may win it, but if he doesn’t, there’s probably 4 guys at minimum above Mercer. Had he constituted his pace through the whole season I think it’s a different conversation. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

If you are talking who had a good season, sure. I’m only talking about the Calder. Bunting may win it, but if he doesn’t, there’s probably 4 guys at minimum above Mercer. Had he constituted his pace through the whole season I think it’s a different conversation. 

Looking at the rookie scoring leaders, it’s definitely Zegras, Raymond, Seider and Bunting way ahead of him. And true, the Calder doesn’t have to go to the leading scorer, but I would imagine it usually goes to one of the top 4 (if not a goalie), and if that’s not correct, I still imagine it will this year. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Calder is pretty easily Seider. If they give it to Bunting there’s some major Canadian bias shenanigans going on. And yes - I was referring to the kids from Mercer’s class overall. I believe only Stutzel, Raymond, and Lundell have had better seasons. 

30 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Imagine having the Hall of the last two seasons on some mega-deal extension here.  We’d all be killing him constantly.  

Right?! Think about paying 2022 Hall 8 or $9 million per year for the next five or so years. That’s the boat we’d be in right now if he had stayed.

Edited by MadDog2020

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Right?! Think about paying 2022 Hall 8 or $9 million per year for the next five or so years. That’s the boat we’d be in right now if he had stayed.

Oh I think it would have taken minimum 7 years and at least $9 million per for him to have considered staying.  And it would have been a disaster, as far as his actual production vs his contract goes.  At least up in Boston, he’s a well-paid complementary player who’s not being compared against the 2017-18 version of Hall (which clearly has been proven not to be the “real” Hall). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not to mention that it’s not like 20-year-old rookies are constantly coming into the NHL and immediately taking the league by storm from start to finish.  Dawson started strong, then did very little offensively for a while, then picked it up for a stretch, and is now in a slump.  Not sure if it’s fatigue (wouldn’t surprise me if it was), but his rookie year feels pretty “normal”, with both the expected flashes of promise and occasional growing pains. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

When a rookie Okhotiuk looks like the most sound defensive player on the team after spending the year in the AHL to me that screams coaching issue with the big club. 

Also helps to make a case for Dineen getting the HC gig.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Calder is pretty easily Seider. If they give it to Bunting there’s some major Canadian bias shenanigans going on. And yes - I was referring to the kids from Mercer’s class overall. I believe only Stutzel, Raymond, and Lundell have had better seasons. 

I think it should be Seider as well. 
I hope we are right, but I suspect Bunting playing for Toronto may have an impact.

I think Zegras also had a better season than Mercer, and was also more high profile which would probably give him a head to head edge over Mercer in the voting. 

Stutzle is not a rookie.

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I think it should be Seider as well. 
I hope we are right, but I suspect Bunting playing for Toronto may have an impact.

I think Zegras also had a better season than Mercer, and was also more high profile which would probably give him a head to head edge over Mercer in the voting. 

Stutzle is not a rookie.

Yeah, I know that. Again - I was talking about players from Mercer’s draft class when I mentioned Stutzle. 

Edited by Nicomo

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Probably not the best time for that considering the puck was deep in the defensive zone. But that’s 3-on-3 OT for you. Any little mistake is likely to end up in the back of your net with all that open ice. 

Except it wasn’t a little mistake lol. It was an egregiously stupid and big one. Par for the course with Severson.

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

Except it wasn’t a little mistake lol. It was an egregiously stupid and big one. Par for the course with Severson.

This game was definitely classic Severson. Gorgeous pass to set up our first power play goal in forever, followed by a bad defensive play at an inopportune time. 

Should have never even gone to OT though. So I guess it’s hard for me to harp on just that play.