GDT: It finally ends tonight - 1900

jagknife

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Hmm…I’m a big craft beer guy and I can’t say I can really differentiate between what style gives worse hangovers over others. All I know is wine and liquor are both way worse than any beer.

I really can have only 1-2 IPAs before I know I’ll wake up the next morning burping hops. Hands down the worst hangovers for me are anything with high IBUs.

for whatever reason, the local Biergarten here’s Hefe’s kick my ass badly too. My cap is now two of those 

On 4/30/2022 at 10:30 AM, pumpkin cutter said:

holtz doesn't have to play fast. he just needs to bury the biscuit. if he can score at an nhl level he would look nice next to jack. 

It isn't even about being fast; he's not even NHL average when it comes to skating.

On 4/30/2022 at 12:11 PM, Nicomo said:

More boring, too…

I hope both come back. 

I'll go ahead and say it.

I have nothing against either guy and have had pleasant exchanges with both.  But the board feels better and smoother without them here.  One guy comes up with takes that are often so flawed or needlessly contradictory that people can't help but challenge him on it, and whenever that happens it's never him, it's always everyone else, and then yet another thread gets derailed with semantics and other crap.  As endearing as that guy can be at times (and I do think he's quite genuine and completely harmless, and not at all malicious, even when he's spewing teenaged retorts), he has a way of annoying a wide variety of people here without even trying...it feels like at least half of this board's dustups start because of him.  I actually don't miss that kind of "excitement", honestly.  

The other guy can be quite funny depending on what kind of mood he's in, but seems too comfortable with reaching into the insult well when debating, and has emotional reactions (often unprovoked) that fall somewhere between irrational and flat-out bizarre.

Anyway, not my board and not my decision to make, and I assume that once their suspensions are up, they'll be back, and that's fine...like I said, it's not like they're pure trolls and even when they're being irritating, it's not like they're lazer/loser-types...that guy was coming in here strictly to be a complete d!ck.  They're Devils fans and they give a damn about the team and they want to see the Devils turn the damned corner as bad as the rest of us do.  The board won't be quite as civil overall, but oh well.        

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'll go ahead and say it.

I have nothing against either guy and have had pleasant exchanges with both.  But the board feels better and smoother without them here.  One guy comes up with takes that are often so flawed or needlessly contradictory that people can't help but challenge him on it, and whenever that happens it's never him, it's always everyone else, and then yet another thread gets derailed with semantics and other crap.  As endearing as that guy can be at times (and I do think he's quite genuine and completely harmless, and not at all malicious, even when he's spewing teenaged retorts), he has a way of annoying a wide variety of people here without even trying...it feels like at least half of this board's dustups start because of him.  I actually don't miss that kind of "excitement", honestly.  

The other guy can be quite funny depending on what kind of mood he's in, but seems too comfortable with reaching into the insult well when debating, and has emotional reactions (often unprovoked) that fall somewhere between irrational and flat-out bizarre.

Anyway, not my board and not my decision to make, and I assume that once their suspensions are up, they'll be back, and that's fine...like I said, it's not like they're pure trolls and even when they're being irritating, it's not like they're lazer/loser-types...that guy was coming in here strictly to be a complete d!ck.  They're Devils fans and they give a damn about the team and they want to see the Devils turn the damned corner as bad as the rest of us do.  The board won't be quite as civil overall, but oh well.        

I've argued extensively with both guys, both can be completely frustrating. I like that in a board mate. Places like this need a little spice to keep them going. I feel like our salt and pepper have been taken away. 

Bring back our salt and pepper. 

44F72C2C-6BF9-4373-A040-2C315B416EF3.jpeg

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Guess we'll see, it has been a quiet month of no reported posts in I think forever.

Do people actually regularly report posts? Outside of the occasional one that’s completely off the rails, it doesn’t really seem like anything all that bad happens. 

1 hour ago, DevilMinder said:

Yes they do. It's common especially in flame wars or poor comments and wording

I think this might be a generational thing as I am one of the "younger" ones here at 31 and I do not believe I have EVER reported a post lol. I can't imagine being that thin-skinned on a message board. 

9 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I think this might be a generational thing as I am one of the "younger" ones here at 31 and I do not believe I have EVER reported a post lol. I can't imagine being that thin-skinned on a message board. 

It is what it is. Many thanks to @DevilMinderfor trying to keep it all in order. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I see it more as a large segment of people (everywhere, and any age) who are more easily offended than others...in some cases, VERY easily offended.  Not to imply that any member here who ever reported a post was necessarily thin-skinned...I readily admit it, it takes an INSANE amount to offend me...I'm probably NOT the best barometer for this sort of thing.  I listened to Howard Stern (late 80s - early 00s) and Opie and Anthony (late 90s - early 2010s) and I thought those shows were highly entertaining and often hysterically funny, in their respective primes.  A lot of people found those shows to be offensive as hell.  

The way that I've always put it is that if I find something very funny, you can be pretty sure someone else found it offensive...and I'll be 52 in June, so it ain't generational.   

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It is what it is. Many thanks to @DevilMinderfor trying to keep it all in order. 

Yeah ditto this.  DM does an awesome job here. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I see it more as a large segment of people (everywhere, and any age) who are more easily offended than others...in some cases, VERY easily offended.  Not to imply that any member here who ever reported a post was necessarily thin-skinned...I readily admit it, it takes an INSANE amount to offend me...I'm probably NOT the best barometer for this sort of thing.  I listened to Howard Stern (late 80s - early 00s) and Opie and Anthony (late 90s - early 2010s) and I thought those shows were highly entertaining and often hysterically funny, in their respective primes.  A lot of people found those shows to be offensive as hell.  

The way that I've always put it is that if I find something very funny, you can be pretty sure someone else found it offensive...and I'll be 52 in June, so it ain't generational.   

I have to agree with this, if anything I would think its more younger people who would report stuff. Not to say we have any snowflakes here, but we probably have some snowflakes here. 

Our generation didn't grow up with the concept that everything should be fair and that every wrong has a remedy. It's why most of us hate the idea of instant replay and such. 

To be fair, a 31 year old like  @RunninWithTheDevilprobably falls into that group as well, its the much younger people who seem to feel that way. 

25 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have to agree with this, if anything I would think its more younger people who would report stuff. Not to say we have any snowflakes here, but we probably have some snowflakes here. 

Our generation didn't grow up with the concept that everything should be fair and that every wrong has a remedy. It's why most of us hate the idea of instant replay and such. 

To be fair, a 31 year old like  @RunninWithTheDevilprobably falls into that group as well, its the much younger people who seem to feel that way. 

Yeah people like me and @MB3 (we're about the same age) we're born in the early "millenial" years.  I remember growing up without the internet, we didn't get our first home PC until I was 10 years old, I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 16. The younger millenials and gen-z'ers are MUCH more easily offended, and like you said; they all want instant gratification because that's all they've known their whole lives. If I wanted to know something as a kid, I had to open a fvcking encyclopedia and hope their was an article about it, nowadays kids can prove their parents wrong with a 3-second Google search. They have it so easy lol.

edit: I think I'm entering the "old man yells at cloud" stage of my life early

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Yeah people like me and @MB3 (we're about the same age) we're born in the early "millenial" years.  I remember growing up without the internet, we didn't get our first home PC until I was 10 years old, I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 16. The younger millenials and gen-z'ers are MUCH more easily offended, and like you said; they all want instant gratification because that's all they've known their whole lives. If I wanted to know something as a kid, I had to open a fvcking encyclopedia and hope their was an article about it, nowadays kids can prove their parents wrong with a 3-second Google search. They have it so easy lol.

edit: I think I'm entering the "old man yells at cloud" stage of my life early

To the forum and not RWD individually.

It isn't simple. I grew up with rabbit ears on a Dumont, before Civil Rights Act. I wired 401's in HS. Lots of stuff you can only imagine. Still, there was a modicum of decency. There was no swearing in front of women nevemind never ending sexual innuendo jokes. Talk like that in front of your mama?  Respect is a lost art for the most part. At times, I wonder if some of you would let your daughters hang out in a place with this atmosphere? Mocking what folks look like and the such? Not very mature. Is this typical of bars? Not any I have been in unless dive or "gentlemen's" type places. Folks forget that this isn't just some place for the "guys to be guys." Lots of different people of all ilks albeit on the wane. Sometimes that notion gets list in the shuffle. Just my $.02. 😀

Edited by StarDew
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, MB3 said:

dragons' den writing GIF by CBC

All but five of us have apparently made the dullard list...hope there's a lot of ink in that pen.  Oh well, I'm sure I've been called worse at some point.

25 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

All but five of us have apparently made the dullard list...hope there's a lot of ink in that pen.  Oh well, I'm sure I've been called worse at some point.

In fairness you did JUST say it was better without him here, that’s no way to make a guy’s list of five lol. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In fairness you did JUST say it was better without him here, that’s no way to make a guy’s list of five lol. 

Oh that's fine, apparently I have a lot of company.  Yeah as you know, I gave an honest assessment of how I felt the board was going without them here...some maybe found it less exciting, but I did like the calmer and more civil exchanges of ideas.  Also said that I had nothing against either one and that I had had pleasant exchanges with both.  Also don't have any issue with them being back, nor should I...not my board.  DM does a great job here and however he chooses to handle things, I'm good with it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh that's fine, apparently I have a lot of company.  Yeah as you know, I gave an honest assessment of how I felt the board was going without them here...some maybe found it less exciting, but I did like the calmer and more civil exchanges of ideas.  Also said that I had nothing against either one and that I had had pleasant exchanges with both.  Also don't have any issue with them being back, nor should I...not my board.  DM does a great job here and however he chooses to handle things, I'm good with it.  

Rational, intelligent posts = boring = no list of five lol. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Apparently I am dull.

However, I would rather be called dull than either be in a schitck coma or being a prime candidate for anger management.