GDT: It finally ends tonight - 1900

jagknife

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Guess I’m dull too. Oh well. Don’t how I’ll sleep tonight, but I’ll figure it out. 

I plan on going back and reading my own posts, bore myself to sleep.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Ouch, yeah that is embarrassing. 

Working in central London I have seen plenty of celebs on the day to day. I have never approached any of them because I am worried it will play out like it did above. 

Well to be fair, if CR’s friend saw that McCain was on the phone and tried talking to him anyway, that’s kind of a stupid move. If you see someone on the phone, don’t interrupt them. Now- if CR’s friend truly didn’t realize it, then McCain is an a$$hole for not later apologizing and instead avoiding eye contact like a jerk. I wouldn’t hesitate to approach a celebrity if they clearly are not preoccupied to say a quick ‘hello I’m a fan’ or whatever, but interrupting people is just something I wouldn’t do, whether it be talking on the phone, eating, etc. 

• Like 1

I have run into celebrities a lot, mostly in Manhattan or downtown Brooklyn, where they film a lot of shows. The challenge I accept is to try to strike up a conversation with them as if I had no idea who they were. 

I can tell you this blind item: I have the cell number of a very well known celebrity in my phone who knows me by name and we occasionally text about things that we have going on. But I will never reveal who it is. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I can tell you this blind item: I have the cell number of a very well known celebrity in my phone who knows me by name and we occasionally text about things that we have going on. But I will never reveal who it is. 

Oh come on…. You can’t do that to us man! 🤣

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well to be fair, if CR’s friend saw that McCain was on the phone and tried talking to him anyway, that’s kind of a stupid move. If you see someone on the phone, don’t interrupt them. Now- if CR’s friend truly didn’t realize it, then McCain is an a$$hole for not later apologizing and instead avoiding eye contact like a jerk. I wouldn’t hesitate to approach a celebrity if they clearly are not preoccupied to say a quick ‘hello I’m a fan’ or whatever, but interrupting people is just something I wouldn’t do, whether it be talking on the phone, eating, etc. 

I don’t think my co-worker saw that McCain was on his phone until it was too late…and who knows what McCain was tied up with at the moment.  One of those unfortunate events where things came together badly.  

• Like 1

I'm sorry to anyone who took offense to me calling them dull. One day I hope we meet in real life and have a beer about it.

Or not, because that sounds pretty boring.

• Haha 1

A round of O’Doul’s on me.  Let the boredom commence!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Also when the NHL came to Prague I went across with my friends. We are walking down the street and I saw this giant man walking towards us. It took a few seconds to click that it was Chara, he looked at me I looked at him, he was expecting me to ask for something and sort of awkwardly paused in his stride and I just stared back and then kept walking with my friends who had no idea who he was (me being the only person who was there for the hockey).

Later on in the trip we stumbled across the Bruins hotel and my friend dragged me over to the area some of the players were standing to say hi. The end result was I got a guidebook to Prague signed by NHL legend Dennis Seidenberg , rather than Zedeno Chara. 

How did you like Prague? It’s actually my #1 European destination if I ever make it over there. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I have run into celebrities a lot, mostly in Manhattan or downtown Brooklyn, where they film a lot of shows. The challenge I accept is to try to strike up a conversation with them as if I had no idea who they were. 

I mentioned this a long time ago (I forget when exactly), but my dad's brush with celebs happened at the Black Forest Inn, near Sparta, NJ...he went to the bar to get a drink, and while waiting, struck up a conversation with someone who looked familiar, and after about a minute said "You look the goalie for the Devils...Martin Brodeur!"  Suffice it to say that Marty (yep, indeed that's who dads was talking to) and the rest of the Devils who were with him started chuckling...one of them said "C'mon, that's not Marty, that's Kevin Weekes!"  After another minute, my dad mentioned me and what a huge Devils fan that I am...the players who were there (pretty sure it was most of the team...apparently back in the day they would sometimes go out as a team to the Black Forest Inn, as no one really bothered them, and they just liked the whole ambiance of the place) offered to sign a menu for me...all of 'em.  Of course my dad said "Thanks, but don't wanna bother you guys...have fun!"  They even asked "Are you sure?  It's no problem!", but once again, dads said nah. 

So thanks dad.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I mentioned this a long time ago (I forget when exactly), but my dad's brush with celebs happened at the Black Forest Inn, near Sparta, NJ...he went to the bar to get a drink, and while waiting, struck up a conversation with someone who looked familiar, and after about a minute said "You look the goalie for the Devils...Martin Brodeur!"  Suffice it to say that Marty (yep, indeed that's who dads was talking to) and the rest of the Devils who were with him started chuckling...one of them said "C'mon, that's not Marty, that's Kevin Weekes!"  After another minute, my dad mentioned me and what a huge Devils fan that I am...the players who were there (pretty sure it was most of the team...apparently back in the day they would sometimes go out as a team to the Black Forest Inn, as no one really bothered them, and they just liked the whole ambiance of the place) offered to sign a menu for me...all of 'em.  Of course my dad said "Thanks, but don't wanna bother you guys...have fun!"  They even asked "Are you sure?  It's no problem!", but once again, dads said nah. 

So thanks dad.  

That’s awesome! Black Forest Inn is five minutes from me. I take my mom there for her birthday/Mother’s Day every year. Great restaurant.

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

That’s awesome! Black Forest Inn is five minutes from me. I take my mom there for her birthday/Mother’s Day every year. Great restaurant.

I've only been there a handful of times but every time I go I friggin' love it.  Killer food.  Thinking I may have to get there again very soon...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nicomo said:

How did you like Prague? It’s actually my #1 European destination if I ever make it over there. 

Yeah I really enjoyed it. There is a lot to see and do. They have some crazy restaurants and bars. We went to one place where all the food was brought to you on the back of model trains and a cocktail bar where you sit on beds and get table service. Literally forgot how to stand up after a couple of hours in there.

There is also plenty of culture and open spaces. I would 100% go again. 

• Like 2