2022 Off-Season thread

MadDog2020

I mean this should be a no-brainer if the guy has any interest at all. He'll have a new job by the end of this week at the latest. 

We gotta Cobra Kai this sh!t and strike first, strike hard. 

• Like 3

My only concern on Fiala would be if he could produce at the current level not playing with Kaprizov. But as others have pointed out his pace the season before Kaprizov joined the was similar. 

I have become more skeptical about trading this pick over the last couple of Months. Bearing in mind a lot of the scouting for this draft will have been done peak COVID now things are getting back to normal it seems scouts have had a chance of a better look and certainly the top of this draft may actually be pretty decent. 

Still think you have to listen to all offers. 

2 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Really!!!

If I am Fitz I am making that call. 

"Bro, you don't even have to move, it's close to Manhattan..."

Trotz implements a defensive structure that the Devils are lacking and desperately need.  If he is willing to come here, you have to take a run at him.  However, I don't see it happening as the Devils seem set on keep Ruff next season.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Guys…. You know it isn’t happening, right? I mean I want Trotz. We all do. But please be realistic.

Pretty much this.  Whether you think Fitz is right or wrong (I lean heavily towards wrong), he seems to have decided Ruff is his man, and with a better supporting staff, can be the guy to lead the Devils forward.

That being said, I wish Fitz would reach out.  The guy turned an Islander team around pretty damned quickly and led them to a pair of Conference Finals.  

And Lou sometimes...obviously he's had a GM career many would kill for, but geez, in a year where a lot of crap went wrong for the Isles, you bail on Trotz just like that?  Was it his fault that you locked up a past-his-prime Palms for five years?  Was anyone giving Palms that kind of term...who were you bidding against?  Is it Trotz's fault that you signed Parise and Chara?  You have a team that's capped out, getting old, and with a LOT of guys locked up for what seems like an eternity (in hockey years).  I dunno Lou, think you should be looking in the mirror on this one.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Really!!!

If I am Fitz I am making that call. 

200.gif

Can’t assemble a skilled group of guys like we have and then make them play the trap. Look at how Barzal’s production dropped.

Edited by Jerzey
  • Like 1

Re: Fiala, I kind of figured "yeah he had 85 points but anyone playing with Kaprizov probably scores 80". Turns out only 11 of his points came with The Thrill on the ice with him.

He's Swiss, right? Would be cool to have one of Nico's countrymen with him, even if I'd prefer Meier. He's young and you can't argue with his production. 

I just don't see how he'd be worth a top-5 pick. The Wild aren't dealing from a position of strength here -- they genuinely can't afford him, and it's not like other teams don't know that. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

200.gif

Can’t assemble a skilled group of guys like we have and then make them play the trap. Look at how Barzal’s production dropped.

If he gets us to the playoffs and conference finals like he did with the Isles, he can have them play the Flying V for all I care. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Guys…. You know it isn’t happening, right? I mean I want Trotz. We all do. But please be realistic.

There’s no harm in making the phone call. If Trotz isn’t interested, no problem at all. But to just go with Ruff without even checking on something like this is the end of Fitz in my eyes. 

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

If he gets us to the playoffs and conference finals like he did with the Isles, he can have them play the Flying V for all I care. 

I believe we’re headed in the right direction. Just need another year or two of growth and making the right moves. 

I know it’s an unpopular opinion but I like Ruff and his style. Fits well with the players we’ve accumulated. They all seem to like him too. 

I think if we didn’t have all of the goaltending issues and had a better record to show for it people would be so against him right now. 

• Like 1

Tbh, I'm more in favor offering a player and a second round pick, or multiple picks, for Fiala than a top 5 pick. Fitz broadcasting to the league that he's willing to part with our first round pick is bad strategy because he's negotiating from a point of weakness. 

If Fiala comes in here and turns into Zacha that top 5 pick will especially sting. 

17 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

There’s no harm in making the phone call. If Trotz isn’t interested, no problem at all. But to just go with Ruff without even checking on something like this is the end of Fitz in my eyes. 

There is harm if Lindy finds out you made the call. Like the Browns with Mayfield, now you have a player/coach that knows you were/are ready to dump him. Not especially good for the morale.

How much do we think Fiala is going to get paid? I can’t imagine he is not looking for $7-8m. 

I don’t think you get a 25 year old guy who just had a PPG season for a couple of non-first round picks, even with the Wild being cash-strapped. 

28 minutes ago, MrBreeze said:

There is harm if Lindy finds out you made the call. Like the Browns with Mayfield, now you have a player/coach that knows you were/are ready to dump him. Not especially good for the morale.

Ruff is a big boy and he knows how this league works. Fitz’ job is to put the best pieces in place for this organization and that includes looking into situations like this. If word comes out hypothetically that Vasilevskiy wants out of Tampa, you make that call even if it might make Blackwood sad. These guys know this is a business. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Preaching to the choir. Fitz just went through this song and dance about Ruff though, all the boxes he checks, etc- I just don’t see him dumping the guy a week later. 

Edited by MadDog2020

52 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

How much do we think Fiala is going to get paid? I can’t imagine he is not looking for $7-8m. 

I don’t think you get a 25 year old guy who just had a PPG season for a couple of non-first round picks, even with the Wild being cash-strapped. 

For my money, I'd rather give Johnny Hockey $11m and keep our top-5 pick than give Fiala $8+ and trade it. 

I think it'll take a first to get a player like him, but I think that first being top-5 is probably an overpayment -- especially because you need to give him a big contract after a career year. Maybe a 1st for Fiala and a 2nd? 

24 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Ruff is a big boy and he knows how this league works. Fitz’ job is to put the best pieces in place for this organization and that includes looking into situations like this. If word comes out hypothetically that Vasilevskiy wants out of Tampa, you make that call even if it might make Blackwood sad. These guys know this is a business. 

Two things to remember about Ruff:

1) If not for the Devils, he probably NEVER gets another NHL head coaching gig, which leads to

2) If the Devils did reach out to Trotz and weren't able to get him, and Ruff is still here and knows about it, what exactly is he going to do?  Resign?  And go where?  Who's clamoring for Ruff to take over their team?  If anything he should probably feel lucky that he wasn't booted out along with nASS and Recchi.  

So even if Ruff were annoyed/pissed/whatever, not like he has options, unless he decides that he's simply done with being a head coach in the NHL.  

• Like 1