2022 Off-Season thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

Tbh, I'm more in favor offering a player and a second round pick, or multiple picks, for Fiala than a top 5 pick. Fitz broadcasting to the league that he's willing to part with our first round pick is bad strategy because he's negotiating from a point of weakness. 

If Fiala comes in here and turns into Zacha that top 5 pick will especially sting. 

I feel the opposite. He's broadcasting that it's on the table, not that he was giving it away.

Also, fwiw, he basically said he's open to making any move if it makes the team better. Exploring all options. That is a soundbite and nothing more. It's literally assumed GMs will make any move that makes their team better lol.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MB3 said:

For my money, I'd rather give Johnny Hockey $11m and keep our top-5 pick than give Fiala $8+ and trade it. 

If he is willing to not sign with the Flyers, I agree totally. 

Posted (edited)

Re:  Fiala, he actually started off this season kinda slow...3 G and 12 A through his first 25 GP.  He went nuts after that:  30 G and 40 A over his final 57 GP.  That's really friggin' good.

Even if some would consider writing off his 2021-22 campaign as a career year and his absolute top end, he did score 43 G and add 51 A over 114 GP in the two seasons prior.  That's about 31 G and 37 A per 82 GP...if he can produce at a 68-85 points per 82 GP rate over the next five seasons or so, while making $7 - 7.5 per year or so, that's good production for that cost.  Basically, in what is not considered to be a great draft, are the Devils getting a guy who can bring what Fiala does anytime soon, with a 5 or 6OA pick?  Is Holtz doing that in the next 2-3 years?  I know this was Holtz's first pro year in North America and he's only 20, but he doesn't seem like a sure thing at the NHL level by any stretch.

Fiala just notched 179 points over 196 games the past three years, and when signed, will be giving his new team his age 26 - early 30s seasons.  He may need time to adjust to his new team, but he's already developed...the idea is that this guy comes right in and gives you at least 5 years of well-above-average production.  If it takes a weak-draft 5 or 6OA or Holtz (with other pieces thrown in) to get this done, I'm very heavily looking into it.        

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Just now, Jerrydevil said:

Now Barry Trotz is available, and that ship will pass us by, too. 

Fitz looks like he's pretty much booked a permanent seat on the SS Ruff.  And he may very well go down with that ship...just like Shero did with the SS DBA.

2 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Now Barry Trotz is available, and that ship will pass us by, too. 

Yep. Fitz doesn’t have the balls to do what needs to be done here. We’re stuck with Lindy Ruff. Trotz will go to Detroit or Philly and completely turn everything around while we stand here with our dicks in our hands. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yep. Fitz doesn’t have the balls to do what needs to be done here. We’re stuck with Lindy Ruff. Trotz will go to Detroit or Philly and completely turn everything around while we stand here with our dicks in our hands. 

It could be a lot worse…

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, jagknife said:

It could be a lot worse…

Oh God, that means he’ll be back on TV…. It was so great not having him yapping away this year. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

In fairness, there’s better places to have your d!ck, but you can do worse than your hand. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Fitz looks like he's pretty much booked a permanent seat on the SS Ruff.  And he may very well go down with that ship...just like Shero did with the SS DBA.

That either means that Fitz is indeed Failure Fitz or that decision is being made by those above him.

Either way, it is not looking good for the Devils.

42 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In fairness, there’s better places to have your d!ck, but you can do worse than your hand. 

Yea, like a blender and that’s exactly how this situation feels. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

what another massive fail, already before this season end and the next begins.

I guess I'll hold onto he will have better opportunities than here so we would of missed out anyway but damn it to not even be in the mix with a shot because we committed to our current stiff is infuriating. But at least Nico and Jack like the current stiff.

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Get Trotz, keep Ruff as an assistant coach, that's it

Well look who decided to finally show the fvck back up.

23 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Fitz was Tortz captain for 4 years in Nashville. Hopefully that's enough of a connection to make at least a phone call

Good call, I didn’t realize that.

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Good call, I didn’t realize that.

Nor did I. Let’s make that sh!t happen. 

Did he take a job elsewhere yet? It’s gonna be quick…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Nor did I. Let’s make that sh!t happen. 

Did he take a job elsewhere yet? It’s gonna be quick…

Detroit and Philly doesn't have a coach. For sure Yzerman is calling and well... he's Yzerman and his team is trending up so i could see him taking that gig.Fitz really need to call and offer him not having to move and be able to stick it to the Islanders for firing him.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Detroit and Philly doesn't have a coach. For sure Yzerman is calling and well... he's Yzerman and his team is trending up so i could see him taking that gig.Fitz really need to call and offer him not having to move and be able to stick it to the Islanders for firing him.

Yeah Detroit is a very attractive job. Great GM, some good young players to build around, a great market- I think Trotz probably ends up there if I was a betting man.

Edited by MadDog2020