2022 Off-Season thread

MadDog2020

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

The timing of this reply couldn't have been scripted any better.

I don't know what a little diggie is. Sounds cute.

Except that I said that previously.  Multiple times.  Once Palms’ final Devils season evolved the way that it did, he took himself out of being in the running for a long-term deal here.  Simple as that.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

an over-the-hill Chara?

That motherfvcker can see right over the hill. 

58 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I don't know what a little diggie is. Sounds cute.

That's your new rap name, obviously. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

That motherfvcker can see right over the hill. 

My daughter's reaction to first seeing Chara:  "How BIG is that guy?!"

Supposedly the Devils were damned close to signing him in 2006, before Elias contacted Lou and basically said "You sure we can't work this thing out?"  Makes for an interesting "What if?", if anything.  

43 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Supposedly the Devils were damned close to signing him in 2006, before Elias contacted Lou and basically said "You sure we can't work this thing out?"  Makes for an interesting "What if?", if anything.  

Back when I was a kid (younger than ours, maybe 8-10) my father used to take me to basketball games at his college, One day they played against Marist College, and Rik Smits was on their team. As I walked to our seats and right behind their bench, he was standing there with just a folding chair between us. He was 7'4", I was maybe not even 5 feet tall yet, and it was like seeing a zoo animal in person, like it wasn't even possible he was human. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Back when I was a kid (younger than ours, maybe 8-10) my father used to take me to basketball games at his college, One day they played against Marist College, and Rik Smits was on their team. As I walked to our seats and right behind their bench, he was standing there with just a folding chair between us. He was 7'4", I was maybe not even 5 feet tall yet, and it was like seeing a zoo animal in person, like it wasn't even possible he was human. 

Even though I’m not a hoops fan, I always get a kick out of seeing all of the players on the court…players my height (about 6’ 1”) look borderline puny.  

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Even though I’m not a hoops fan, I always get a kick out of seeing all of the players on the court…players my height (about 6’ 1”) look borderline puny.  

Yup that is always funny. You get in your head from watching the games that a certain guy is very short and then realize he's actually over 6 feet tall. 

John Stockton and Steve Nash are two who come to mind. 

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's looking more and more like he's going to leave a hell of a mess behind, once he gets fired or resigns.       

That could very well happen but I wouldn't bet against Lamoriello. That being said, I don't think Zach Parise was a good pickup. And Palmieri might have been a poor signing. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

That could very well happen but I wouldn't bet against Lamoriello. That being said, I don't think Zach Parise was a good pickup. And Palmieri might have been a poor signing. 

I could absolutely understand Lou signing Palms to one year, maybe two...like I mentioned in a previous post, Fitz basically made a very similar kind of acquisition when he signed Tatar (a guy who also wasn't far removed from more productive seasons, but could also be on an early decline path)...Tatar's and Palms' production numbers this past year were actually damned near the same, but I'd rather have Tatar on a two-year deal than Palms at four (for some reason I thought it was five).  If Palms was willing to come back at about the same pay as Tatar for two years (more preferably one), I probably would've taken him over Tatar...as it turns out, neither guy really paid off for their respective teams in 2021-22.

My real beef with Lou going four years for Palms was who else was willing to give him that kind of offer?  Who was he bidding against?  2020-21 was prohibitive enough that I don't think many other teams would've gone more than two, even with Palms scoring some in the 2021 playoffs.  Palms was such a perfect "Show me" candidate...not the kind of player you look to lock up long-term off a subpar year...especially when you're not exactly flush with cap space. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I could absolutely understand Lou signing Palms to one year, maybe two...like I mentioned in a previous post, Fitz basically made a very similar kind of acquisition when he signed Tatar (a guy who also wasn't far removed from more productive seasons, but could also be on an early decline path)...Tatar's and Palms' production number this past year were actually damned near the same, but I'd rather have Tatar on a two-year deal than Palms at four (for some reason I thought it was five).  If Palms was willing to come back at about the same pay as Tatar for two years (more preferably one), I probably would've taken him over Tatar...as it turns out, neither guy really paid off for their respective teams in 2021-22.

My real beef with Lou going four years for Palms was who else was willing to give him that kind of offer?  Who was he bidding against?  2020-21 was prohibitive enough that I don't think many other teams would've gone more than two, even with Palms scoring some in the 2021 playoffs.  Palms was such a perfect "Show me" candidate...not the kind of player you look to lock up long-term off a subpar year...especially when you're not exactly flush with cap space. 

I agree, the Palmieri contract is too long. Nice work by Palmieri and his agent. 

5 hours ago, MB3 said:

The Islanders had a bad season (with 37 wins, that's still better than all but one of our last 10 years lmao). But the Islanders had a grand total of one (one!) playoff series victory in the 24 years leading up to Lou, and since they've brought him in the team had won a playoff round 3 years in a row, and if they hadn't run into the buzzsaw Lightning team we are almost certainly talking about last year's Stanley Cup Champions. 

The offseason got away from him a little bit, though. One of our more gratuitously verbose members is taking a victory lap about Lou's poor offseason even after saying he wanted Kyle Palmieri back all year, but that's neither here nor there (because ya boi ain't got time to read a twelve paragraph response, lmao). 

Took, what, 4 days before you start up picking fights with other members?

@DevilMinder please perma-ban him.

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'd never heard that before. What a wild scenario that would've been. Elias was a steady contributor for the duration of that contract, for sure. But prime Zdeno Chara is crazy to think about -- the Devils were pushed around in the playoffs by Ottawa in 07 and New York in 08 -- both series felt a whole lot like "boys against men". Adding the biggest baddest motherfvcker in the league at the time probably changes that. (Part of me is glad the Devils didn't make the Cup Finals in 07... if Niedermayer skated with the cup in Continental Airlines arena in a Ducks jersey I would've thrown myself from my seats in 217 onto the ice.) I do think the Devils needed offense more than defense those years, but I think about a Chara-led Devils team and I bet 2009 doesn't happen the way it did. 

Of course, the proverbial butterfly flaps his wings, right? If the Devils see Elias walk, maybe Lou feels extra pressure just one year later to retain Gomez. We all know how that contract would've worked out. And though the Devils never got another cup with Elias, him retiring in a Devils jersey is about the only thing that's given Devils fans joy over the past decade. 

• Like 1

Question for the board experts...does having to pay Bratt, likely at least Nico money, make Fitz second guess getting into a bidding war for Forsberg over the summer? Do you pay Forsberg 8mm for 6 years? What if it takes more than 8?

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Question for the board experts...does having to pay Bratt, likely at least Nico money, make Fitz second guess getting into a bidding war for Forsberg over the summer? Do you pay Forsberg 8mm for 6 years? What if it takes more than 8?

Well for fun i went to capfriendly and see what was possible. In an ideal scenario.

We trade Tatar and Johnsson for picks to like someone like Arizona or wtv, just a way to clear their cap hit. Also trade Zacha.

Then we can basically throw 8.5x7 at Forsberg, 7.5 at bratt, 3.5 at wood, 1 at boqvist.

So with this setup we still have about 17m of cap space. And for this year all we need is a goalie and another RHD. 

Then well its when Fitz would have to manage everything well considering, Dawson, Sharangovich, Holtz, Smith, Graves and Siegenthaler will need considerable raises in the next few seasons... also with baby Hughes coming and Slafkovsky coming in, but we'd have them cheap for 3 years at least.

But then if you're stuck you can always trade guys to make room and keep reloading assets. Our core players are locked for awhile at least.

Say we get a goalie who can stop pucks and that we dont get too many major injuries, this is a playoffs team IMO. Also would be good cause we wouldnt have to rush Holtz and Slafkovsky into becoming a threat right away

image.thumb.png.154564be3b2f479c7a475e89ef891857.png

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I mean... this is actually not impossible in a few seasons and its making me drool. Honestly some of those guys could just leave and i'm happy with the depth we have and who could step up in the role. Or making some players expandable to we can trade for what we need. Like if we indeed draft Slafkovsky and can sign a top winger. I'd totally package smith and Holtz for a goalie for example. OR send them to arizona for Chychrun + tatar so that they can reach the cap floor, i'd even throw johnsson in there if they want him lol

Forsberg - Hughes - Bratt

Slafkosvky - Hischier - Sharangovich

Holtz  - Mercer - Kuokkanen

Wood - McLeod - Bastian

Foote - Boqvist - Thompson

Halonen-  Zetterlund - Stillman

Graves - Hamilton

Hughes - Mukk

Siegenthaler - Severson

Smith - Walsh

Bahl - Okhotiuk

Some Goalie

Blackwood

Daws

Edited by SterioDesign

20 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I mean... this is actually not impossible in a few seasons and its making me drool. Honestly some of those guys could just leave and i'm happy with the depth we have and who could step up in the role. Or making some players expandable to we can trade for what we need. Like if we indeed draft Slafkovsky and can sign a top winger. I'd totally package smith and Holtz for a goalie for example.

Wood - McLeod - Bastian

Graves - Hamilton

Hughes - Mukk

Siegenthaler - Severson

Smith - Walsh

Bahl - Okhotiuk

Some Goalie

Blackwood

Daws

Sick. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I mean... this is actually not impossible in a few seasons and its making me drool. Honestly some of those guys could just leave and i'm happy with the depth we have and who could step up in the role. Or making some players expandable to we can trade for what we need. Like if we indeed draft Slafkovsky and can sign a top winger. I'd totally package smith and Holtz for a goalie for example. OR send them to arizona for Chychrun + tatar so that they can reach the cap floor, i'd even throw johnsson in there if they want him lol

Wood - McLeod - Bastian

Graves - Hamilton

Hughes - Mukk

Siegenthaler - Severson

Smith - Walsh

Bahl - Okhotiuk

Some Goalie

Blackwood

Daws

Wait, Kuokkanen makes the top 9 in your fantasy, drool-inducing lineup? Lol. Although I do drool over ‘Some Goalie’ being here. Certainly would be way better than what we currently have.

edit: also, Dawson Mercer is a future star. I know it’s nice to have great players up and down the lineup but it would be criminal to pencil him in as the third liner of the future. Swap with sharangovich if anything.

Edited by devlman

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If we trade Zacha and Tatar and Johnsson in the same offseason, it might change my opinion regarding Fitz. 

That would be pretty miraculous.  I can see some team thinking that they could get more out of Zacha…former high first-rounders tend to get at least one more chance.  I have no idea why anyone would want Tatar and/or Johnsson.  Maybe Seattle takes one of them if they basically don’t have to give anything back (and the Devils eat part of the money).  A warm body to get by with for a year, then let him walk. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A warm body to get by with for a year, then let him walk. 

I think this is a quote from one of my high school girlfriends. 

11 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

No.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, devlman said:

Wait, Kuokkanen makes the top 9 in your fantasy, drool-inducing lineup? Lol. Although I do drool over ‘Some Goalie’ being here. Certainly would be way better than what we currently have.

edit: also, Dawson Mercer is a future star. I know it’s nice to have great players up and down the lineup but it would be criminal to pencil him in as the third liner of the future. Swap with sharangovich if anything.

Tampa won cups because they had "stars" on their 3rd lines. Pittsburgh did the same. You need depth. Many coaches like to see their lines as duos with a complementary player than a trio too. Then you can roll all your lines a bit more equally and be dangerous whoever is out there, a lot harder for the other team to shut down and match. Wanting to force a guy in the top 6 "just because he's a star" is sort of more of a mental roadblock based on pride than anything, not really a strategy. It's fine to have a "lesser complementary player" in the top 3 and a better player overall to anchor your 3rd line

Edited by SterioDesign

26 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Tampa won cups because they had "stars" on their 3rd lines. Pittsburgh did the same. You need depth. Many coaches like to see their lines as duos with a complementary player than a trio too. Then you can roll all your lines a bit more equally and be dangerous whoever is out there, a lot harder for the other team to shut down and match. Wanting to force a guy in the top 6 "just because he's a star" is sort of more of a mental roadblock based on pride than anything, not really a strategy. It's fine to have a "lesser complementary player" in the top 3 and a better player overall to anchor your 3rd line

Ah, it was my mental roadblock and pride that thought top players should play on the top 6, and not get stuck on a checking line. Thanks for the reminder!

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

Ah, it was my mental roadblock and pride that thought top players should play on the top 6, and not get stuck on a checking line. Thanks for the reminder!

That’s a pretty outdated concept tbh. Most successful teams this day and age can roll 3 lines. I don’t really consider top 9 a “checking line” anymore. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, devlman said:

Not necessarely but it's a bit of a black and white / outdated way to look at things. 3rd lines are not just "checking lines" lol