2022 Off-Season thread

MadDog2020

Any team with a HC opening is going to be bad, but the Devils have some pretty enticing pieces already in place for the next guy. Jack,  Bratt, and Nico all having breakout seasons can only help in their search. Ofc it could also just be Dineen. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I don't get how you're all manufacturing this fantasy like we're a goalie and a d-man away from being competitive. Yeah we have good pieces but we still ranked 18th in Goals For this season. This team is a mess. A good looking mess, but a scary mess and it needs to be addressed SOON or we're going to start to see young players wanting out. 

Likely going to be another long season next year. I'm already bracing myself for it and it sucks. I'll probably be more positive come October, but as usual I'll be back to reality by Xmas.

About this season and this season problems.

Devils are 12th best team in Shots against per game. But the worst team in SV%.
League average SV% is 90.7%

Blackwood has 9 games with 90.7%+, 6 W, 3 OT\SO
Bernier has 4 G, 3 W, 1L (Blackwood missed 3goals in that game and was replaced by Bernier, now I will use only full or close to full games)
Gillies has 6 G, 1W, 3L, 2 OT\SO
Hammond has 2G, 1 W, 1 L
Daws has 10 G, 8 W, 2L
Wedgewood has 1 L
Schmid didn`t play any game with SV% above 90%.

You can calculate the approximate level of points yourself. And you can draw your own conclusions.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

I'm bracing myself for all three doofuses returning and Fitz just putting the blame on goaltending, and then watching him package our first round pick and a player we dont want to see leaving (like Zetterlund) for a starting goaltender who's best years are almost behind him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

I'm bracing myself for all three doofuses returning and Fitz just putting the blame on goaltending, and then watching him package our first round pick and a player we dont want to see leaving (like Zetterlund) for a starting goaltender who's best years are almost behind him.

thought i was depressing. cmnon

10 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

This sounds about right. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

About this season and this season problems.

Devils are 12th best team in Shots against per game. But the worst team in SV%.
League average SV% is 90.7%

Blackwood has 9 games with 90.7%+, 6 W, 3 OT\SO
Bernier has 4 G, 3 W, 1L (Blackwood missed 3goals in that game and was replaced by Bernier, now I will use only full or close to full games)
Gillies has 6 G, 1W, 3L, 2 OT\SO
Hammond has 2G, 1 W, 1 L
Daws has 10 G, 8 W, 2L
Wedgewood has 1 L
Schmid didn`t play any game with SV% above 90%.

You can calculate the approximate level of points yourself. And you can draw your own conclusions.

I saw a stat online that said poor goaltending cost us approximately 11 games. So still not a playoff team, but about 9th place, and right on the bubble. Which is about where I’d expect tbh. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

I want to shake Brooks’ hand for writing this fvcking article. It took a Rag guy (but a former Devils employee) to step up and say something. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I saw a stat online that said poor goaltending cost us approximately 11 games. So still not a playoff team, but about 9th place, and right on the bubble. Which is about where I’d expect tbh. 

Who cost us the other 44?

18 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Fluff on social media does not compensate for perpetual ineptitude on the ice. They’re the Waystar Royco Cruise Line of “Succession,” posting pictures of Logan, Kendall, Roman, Shiv and Connor Roy sipping champagne while the ship goes down under them. 

That’s gold. All we need is Fitz to mistakenly send a dick pic to Harris and Blitzer to complete the analogy lol. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jagknife said:

This is brilliant. This is what happens when you have actual media asking the tough questions and calling out the bullsh!t. Thank you Brooksy.l for calling out Fitz on the goaltending debacle.

“But who on earth made the decision to leave the position to neophytes when the top two went down? There is always an excuse or two over there to be folded into the Instagram account.” 

Edited by devlman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

"Can you imagine another organization endorsing its leader of the analytics department doing an interview extolling his and his group’s virtues in the wake of one embarrassing season after another through which the team’s sum has been far, far less than its parts?"

Nailed it.

The fear I have with this organization is 1. The owners are clueless and focus on the entirely wrong things. Brooks is right, they are more concerned with the team's social media presence than their wins on the ice, 2. Fitz is in over his head and seems like a yes man, 3. Since goaltending has been called out as the major reason for their failures, all three coaches will likely get a pass, 4. Players mailing it in on most nights stick around (Zacha, Johnsson, Tatar etc) with zero consequences.  The Devils need a major infusion of winning leadership. I couldnt agree more. 

• Like 3

Brilliant piece. Perfectly said.

Awaiting a rebuttal from Amanda.

I wonder how much our offense benefited from being a doormat 2 months into the season again and how many back up goalies we saw as a result?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, titans04 said:

I wonder how much our offense benefited from being a doormat 2 months into the season again and how many back up goalies we saw as a result?

Scoring was up across the entire league. There was like 10 guys with 100+ points. 

31 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Scoring was up across the entire league. There was like 10 guys with 100+ points. 

100 points! and here I was getting excited over one guy with 73,  the 60 by Nico is hardly exciting.

Are you thinking as bottom feeders ~28,29 in the league the last 4 years we haven't seen a fairly higher than average number of backup goalies? 

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

100 points! and here I was getting excited over one guy with 73,  the 60 by Nico is hardly exciting.

Are you thinking as bottom feeders ~28,29 in the league the last 4 years we haven't seen a fairly higher than average number of backup goalies? 

What I think is you’re grasping at straws to even be negative about the one bright spot this team has going for it. Like there isn’t enough other areas to actually focus your misery on. It has to be everything!

• Like 1

It's a good column by Larry Brooks. This line was weird, though:

I understand that playing experience is not a prerequisite for this type of undertaking, and neither is being of the male gender, but if a franchise icon is otherwise qualified, I’m interested. 

Uh, yes, Larry. A male is required. 

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

And now we have to watch that men could cry, especially if they want to. 

I would say 10-15 minimum, and Smith cost us about 5-7 games minimum only by himself. Even 10 more wins/20 more points is what we expect from this season. 

And injuries really worry me. Year after year our different leaders miss games. Im understand that jaw breakers is bad circumstances(but may be its a question of tactics or trainings), but there were a lot of injuries. And stories how our players did return from recovery, spend some games and return to recovery again. 

Posted (edited)

This line was good, "There is a heritage to uphold here. Ownership has an obligation to remember that."

I think that's where the disconnect is. This ownership are money men who focus on buying fledgling companies,  building them up, and then selling them. They have zero emotional investment in anything they buy as long as it somehow makes them money eventually...fan interest and merchandising do that. Whether it be by winning on the ice, winning the draft lottery, or winning at social media is irrelevant. As long as a new crop of fans shows up to buy their things is all that matters. Fans who've been following the team since 1986 matter not. They are easily replaceable with fans who just showed up to the Rock yesterday and are willing to buy a jersey for $250 and food and drink for another $50.

Brooks is probably right that Blitzer and Harris could care less about the Devils winning heritage, which is why they put up with status quo losing and put up with a culture of incompetence. To them it has nothing to do with heritage, instead just a short-term investment that can hopefully be resurrected and added to their portfolio.  

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 4