Jump to content

2022 Off-Season thread


MadDog2020
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, titans04 said:

100 points! and here I was getting excited over one guy with 73,  the 60 by Nico is hardly exciting.

Are you thinking as bottom feeders ~28,29 in the league the last 4 years we haven't seen a fairly higher than average number of backup goalies? 

I can’t get mad at Nico’s 60 points over 72 games. We’ve had years where the leading scorer had a whole 48-52 over 82 games

yes this was one of the most disappointing Devils teams in history with top down failures all year long. Fitz packed it in with goaltending once his two starters went down, then did literally nothing to try and pull help in otherwise. The coaches literally never adjusted strategy to compensate (how many times did we watch that stupid slingshot breakout, the loose box on PK which somehow still produced results, etc) and an unacceptable number of players packed it in for a long winters nap around Christmas.

But Bratt became a legit player, Nico is figuring it out, thank god, and we had some nice surprises.

by zero means am I satisfied, though 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

I can’t get mad at Nico’s 60 points over 72 games. We’ve had years where the leading scorer had a whole 48-52 over 82 games

It was actually 60 points in 70 GP. And yeah, other than Hall’s MVP season we hadn’t had a 60 point player since Jagr way back in 2013-14. Adam Henrique led the team in scoring one year with 43 points FFS. Not sure why anyone would go out of their way to look for reasons to diminish what our top guys did this year. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It was actually 60 points in 70 GP. And yeah, other than Hall’s MVP season we hadn’t had a 60 point player since Jagr way back in 2013-14. Adam Henrique led the team in scoring one year with 43 points FFS. Not sure why anyone would go out of their way to look for reasons to diminish what our top guys did this year. 

Agree, not that its not a valid point that we saw a LOT of backup goalies, we absolutely did. If that contributed to their numbers, so be it. All they can do is deal with the goalie they’re given. 

I would add, Both Bratt and Nico looked like absolute sh!t early on. But for that, Nico may have hit 75 and Bratt possibly 85-90. They didn’t do that, I get it, but the potential of that is exciting going forward. 

It will all be about those two and Jack maintaining that kind of level and hopefully, improving upon it even further. I do think we still need another top 6 winger, maybe in time it’s Holtz, but right now we should be looking to add another. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

I can’t get mad at Nico’s 60 points over 72 games. We’ve had years where the leading scorer had a whole 48-52 over 82 games

yes this was one of the most disappointing Devils teams in history with top down failures all year long. Fitz packed it in with goaltending once his two starters went down, then did literally nothing to try and pull help in otherwise. The coaches literally never adjusted strategy to compensate (how many times did we watch that stupid slingshot breakout, the loose box on PK which somehow still produced results, etc) and an unacceptable number of players packed it in for a long winters nap around Christmas.

But Bratt became a legit player, Nico is figuring it out, thank god, and we had some nice surprises.

by zero means am I satisfied, though 

My point. Didn't say I was mad about Nico's 60 said it wasn't enough. As someone said yesterday if anybody thinks it just a goalie and coaching problem I think they're wrong. There's upgrades that still need to be made throughout. Just because something isn't a biggest problem doesn't mean it's not problem if we're trying to become a true contender after ten years we're still talking about a true contender for a WC spot not a cup. Patient and waited long enough? Brooks would seem to agree. Stings right. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, titans04 said:

My point. Didn't say I was mad about Nico's 60 said it wasn't enough. As someone said yesterday if anybody thinks it just a goalie and coaching problem I think they're wrong. There's upgrades that still need to be made throughout. Just because something isn't a biggest problem doesn't mean it's not problem if we're trying to become a true contender after ten years we're still talking about a true contender for a WC spot not a cup. Patient and waited long enough? Brooks would seem to agree. Stings right. 

Defense still needs improvement as well. Say what you like about Subban, he was pretty strong defensively this season and you need to replace him. 

Ty Smith and Damon Severson don’t belong on the same team. You can’t have so many defenseman that bring offense and not a lot of defense. Hamilton is one. Severson is another and led the team in points by a defenseman. That makes Ty Smith the odd man out in my opinion.

I might start him in the AHL with the hopes that he will absolutely dominate and someone will take chance on him as part of a trade. But not if we’re replacing him with Colton White. 

We need another shutdown guy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Can/should we read anything into this comment by Nico today?

 

I read into it the following:

1) Nico is too smart to answer that question.

2) if the coaching staff has worked with them every day to give them the experience they have, they clearly don’t have what is needed and a change has to happen. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Can/should we read anything into this comment by Nico today?

 

Sounds like he was trying to say something relatively innocuous.  Always a little dangerous to try to read too much into player quotes, but I pretty much interpret what Nico’s saying “They do try, but they’re just not very good at their jobs.”

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

 

 

These quotes, to me, are more telling.
 

My completely uninformed take: Wysh overplayed the “Jack likes Lindy” aspect in his quotes, Jack trying save face while saying he likes what Lindy brings but also fired off “a lot of losing” I think is more telling. He’s a competitor, he loves winning and before he’s 21, has had 3 straight losing seasons. The adversity are his injuries, but he’s sick of losing

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Agree, not that its not a valid point that we saw a LOT of backup goalies, we absolutely did. If that contributed to their numbers, so be it. All they can do is deal with the goalie they’re given. 

I would add, Both Bratt and Nico looked like absolute sh!t early on. But for that, Nico may have hit 75 and Bratt possibly 85-90. They didn’t do that, I get it, but the potential of that is exciting going forward. 

It will all be about those two and Jack maintaining that kind of level and hopefully, improving upon it even further. I do think we still need another top 6 winger, maybe in time it’s Holtz, but right now we should be looking to add another. 

People made way too much out of Bratt’s slow start. It was literally 5 games. Nico’s was much worse, but with him you just never know what injury he’s battling at any given time. It’s been that kind of start to his career after making it through his full rookie season. Hopefully the days of “it’s just always something” are behind him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

This helps explain Dougies play lately

 

Well that’s explains a lot. Rough first year (no pun intended) to say the least. He’s too good for me to really be worried about it though. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

People made way too much out of Bratt’s slow start. It was literally 5 games. Nico’s was much worse, but with him you just never know what injury he’s battling at any given time. It’s been that kind of start to his career after making it through his full rookie season. Hopefully the days of “it’s just always something” are behind him. 

It was still only 8 points through his first 15 games. While I guess that’s not totally sh!tty, you wouldn’t have thought he would end anywhere near PPG after that start. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

This helps explain Dougies play lately

 

I buy that more than the whole “not used to his face mask” thing. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It was still only 8 points through his first 15 games. While I guess that’s not totally sh!tty, you wouldn’t have thought he would end anywhere near PPG after that start. 

 

He had 11 points (4 G, 7 A) through his first 15 GP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He had 11 points (4 G, 7 A) through his first 15 GP.

Dates ran backwards on the site I was looking at; mine was actually his last 15 games.

Had he had the same pace in the first 15 and last 15 as he did the rest of the year, that’s like 11 more points. He was very good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

I wonder where Dougie got his cap? 😀

Image

Fully embracing New Jersey culture lol. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jagknife said:

These quotes, to me, are more telling.
 

My completely uninformed take: Wysh overplayed the “Jack likes Lindy” aspect in his quotes, Jack trying save face while saying he likes what Lindy brings but also fired off “a lot of losing” I think is more telling. He’s a competitor, he loves winning and before he’s 21, has had 3 straight losing seasons. The adversity are his injuries, but he’s sick of losing

Jack really praises Lindy throughout his interview. I really got the sense Jack wants Lindy back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, jagknife said:

Also, Bernier hopes to be ready by camp. That’s cool, but Fitz MUST have a viable 3rd option. I trust neither “#1” to be healthy for a full season, as it stands 

I would say Fitz must have a viable first option.

devils have a lot to do to build better team.
Find interior puck battling forward, defensive center/forward, better defenseman or two for the third pair(I think we have one or two, but if Subban will find another place to play, devils need to find experienced partner for Okhotiuk and Bahl). PP COACH. Head coach.

but goalies changed the game of this team dramatically, and they will do it again and again. We can use every simple basis stats, advanced stats, visual analysis. It’s a fact. Even average goalie duo will change results of this team more than a lot. And we need starter. If Blackwood will return to his form, that’s great, but after two years we can’t trust anymore. He has a lot of problems. Injuries, personality, positioning against breakaways, shootouts, rebounds, game against screening. 
 

And medical stuff ofcourse. I don’t know how long, year after year devils are leaders in missed games, our best players missed giant length of time, our players return from recovery, play and return to recovery again.

Hope Fitz will sign Yegor and Siegenthaler this summer. And will decide what to do with Graves and Severson. If he wants to stay one of them, it’s time to sign too.

Edited by Guadana
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.