2022 Off-Season thread

MadDog2020

Regardless of what the young players think, something needs to change. We’ve gotten used to the losing but this was a historically bad season. The last time the team lost 46 games was 1986. The last time they allowed over 300 goals was 1989. I truly believe we have some pieces in place, but none of those pieces are behind the bench.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The fact that he hasn't given them a public vote of confidence or made any announcements about keeping them has me...well, feeling like all is not lost just yet.

That being said, more than ever, it does feel like this franchise, from top to bottom, is at a major crossroads.  I'm trying to hope for the best, but I can certainly understand mass pessimism at this point.  I really was hoping to see Fitz be decisive about this and just get rid of this staff within a couple of days...as much as I wasn't realistically expecting it, I was definitely hoping for it.  If he still does it within 2-3 weeks, sure, it's annoying that he needed time to see what the rest of us have already seen, but at least he'll have done it.  

If they're back...well, I've already said it a million times, but damn, anytime DM84 or others continue to rip the organization relentlessly...I can't blame them one bit.  And just like jagknife said, I don't care how much some players like Lindy and the others.  If the next guy comes in and helps the team actually start winning more often than they lose, I suspect at the very least that they'll quickly learn to respect their new coach.  Results have to matter at some point...it's hard to care about lovefests on a team that can't even muster 70 points, despite having talent.   

The Larry Brooks article on the Devils is the most brutally honest assessment of this team in years.  The fact that it came from someone who is a columnist for a paper that doesn't cover the Devils and not from anyone who has covered the Devils in the last 5-6 years speaks volumes.  The team is in it's own bubble and this is by design and comes directly from the top.  The organization seems more concerned about how they appear on social media than they do on the ice.  The fluff pieces on fourth liners, the heavy investment in analytics and the bargain bin hunting for other teams most expendable players have yielded zero improvement from where they were since the 2014-15 season outside of a season where a single player literally carried the team on his back to the playoffs.

It's not something that will be solved by switching out Ruff with another coach that will work on the cheap or bringing in lemons as goaltenders.  It's the entire culture of the organization that is rotten and the owners have to decide now, this offseason, whether they care more about their ROI or actually winning games.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The Larry Brooks article on the Devils is the most brutally honest assessment of this team in years.  The fact that it came from someone who is a columnist for a paper that doesn't cover the Devils and not from anyone who has covered the Devils in the last 5-6 years speaks volumes.  The team is in it's own bubble and this is by design and comes directly from the top.  The organization seems more concerned about how they appear on social media than they do on the ice.  The fluff pieces on fourth liners, the heavy investment in analytics and the bargain bin hunting for other teams most expendable players have yielded zero improvement from where they were since the 2014-15 season outside of a season where a single player literally carried the team on his back to the playoffs.

It's not something that will be solved by switching out Ruff with another coach that will work on the cheap or bringing in lemons as goaltenders.  It's the entire culture of the organization that is rotten and the owners have to decide now, this offseason, whether they care more about their ROI or actually winning games.

Clearly a watermelon is better, just in terms of surface area. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Okay I’m legit beginning to lose my patience now. The season ended Friday. It’s Tuesday. Why are these three a$$holes still here?

Give Fitz time. He might not know the season ended yet. He’s probably waiting to see if Hammond can get us in the wild card. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Okay I’m legit beginning to lose my patience now. The season ended Friday. It’s Tuesday. Why are these three a$$holes still here?

Do you want to know the answer? You may not…

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

Give Fitz time. He might not know the season ended yet. He’s probably waiting to see if Hammond can get us in the wild card. 

Is there any chance he accidentally traded for the wrong Andrew Hammond and that one was not a goalie at all, but he just went with it?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I feel the same. Fitz had 82 freakin games to make an assessment. Just fire the keystone cops already.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Do you want to know the answer? You may not…

Is there any chance he accidentally traded for the wrong Andrew Hammond and that one was not a goalie at all, but he just went with it?

“Wait a minute… this isn’t the elite European scoring winger we scouted!!! I meant Andrew Hammondsson!”

• Like 1

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

“Wait a minute… this isn’t the elite European scoring winger we scouted!!! I meant Andrew Hammondsson!”

Exactly, something like that. 

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

I feel the same. Fitz had 82 freakin games to make an assessment. Just fire the keystone cops already.

Exactly. ‘Evaluation’. fvck that, evaluation should be done by now. There ain’t that much to evaluate. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Let's do all almuni. Brylin HC, Zajac & Stevens as assistants, Cory Schneider as goalie coach (I'm assuming #30 is too much of a front office big shot). 

Brodeur doesn't want to be a goalie coach, hes said it from day 1...  cory is definitely not the goalie coach we need.  I'm sorry, but I want coaches who are actually winners, and that's not Cory.

I agree with brooks, winning is the ONLY thing that matters to a hockey team.  They focus way to much on bs social agendas (usually left leaning agendas at that), and designing hideous jerseys for a trash team.  Hopefully management can wake up and make changes, but they don't care about the team, so it's doubtful.

8 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

Brodeur doesn't want to be a goalie coach, hes said it from day 1...  cory is definitely not the goalie coach we need.  I'm sorry, but I want coaches who are actually winners, and that's not Cory.

I agree with brooks, winning is the ONLY thing that matters to a hockey team.  They focus way to much on bs social agendas (usually left leaning agendas at that), and designing hideous jerseys for a trash team.  Hopefully management can wake up and make changes, but they don't care about the team, so it's doubtful.

The marketing department has fvck all to do with coaching selections so that's an idiotic comparison

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Exactly. ‘Evaluation’. fvck that, evaluation should be done by now. There ain’t that much to evaluate. 

One thing we’ve seen more and more is how corporate the Devils have become.  And Heaven forbid that anything can happen expeditiously in such an environment.  Everything must run through several channels and be discussed/analyzed/evaluated ad nausea before a fvcking actual decision is made.

I get it, canning a coaching staff is a big move…but is there anything at all that points to ANYONE on the current staff being the answer?  Even if Fitz does the right thing but takes 2-3 weeks to do it…did you really need THAT much time?  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

Was just kind of throwing out a name, but the guy is tied for 11th all time in save percentage and tied for 22nd in GAA in the history of the league (200 games played minimum). You could do worse. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One thing we’ve seen more and more is how corporate the Devils have become.  And Heaven forbid that anything can happen expeditiously in such an environment.  Everything must run through several channels and be discussed/analyzed/evaluated ad nausea before a fvcking actual decision is made.

I get it, canning a coaching staff is a big move…but is there anything at all that points to ANYONE on the current staff being the answer?  Even if Fitz does the right thing but takes 2-3 weeks to do it…did you really need THAT much time?  

I have noticed that as well.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if Devils are right now conducting focus groups about their feelings on Devils coaches.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

Not making specific endorsements here, but let's not pretend that "winners" (as in players who won) somehow are locks to be great coaches or guys capable of teaching skills.  Mark Recchi was a hell of a player during his career, and won plenty.  Didn't mean a damn thing here, did it?  

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have noticed that as well.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if Devils are right now conducting focus groups about their feelings on Devils coaches.

If anything, I think it's more the current structure probably relies on too much collaboration (as soon as you hear your team use that word, you're in trouble), and too many people with a say in decision-making.  For all we know, Fitz may very well know what he wants to do, but god knows how many people have to be "consulted" for their input first.  

1 hour ago, bobilly45 said:

Unfortunately being a winner has nothing to do with goalie coaching ability. Jacques Caron didn’t win a thing and coached Brodeur most of his career. 

Same with Mitch Korn who has coached goalies for 20 something years with the Predators, Caps, and Isles. 

That being said, I’d prefer someone with experience coaching. Schneider has no experience in that regard. 

As for the rest of the bench, I like Brylin as an assistant coach next year as he seems to really help guys out. I think Zajac is being primed for a position as well. If the head coach isn’t Ruff again, I’m hoping it’s Maurice, Montgomery, etc. Someone who can bring experience running a team and a coaching staff