End of season Poll

Chimaira_Devil_#9

End of Season Review - Just how bad was it?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Based on my expectations at the start of the season the Devil's have:

• Greatly exceeded my expectation
    • Exceeded my expectation
    • About what I expected
    • Below what I expected
    • Greatly below what I expected
  2. 2. Who has been our MVP for the season?

• Jack Hughes
    • Jesper Bratt
    • Nico Hischier
    • Damon Severson
    • Dawson Mercer
    • Other
  3. 3. Who has been the most disappointing

• McKenzie Blackwood
    • Janne Kuokkanen
    • Andreas Johnnson
    • Tomas Tatar
    • Jonathan Bernier
    • Ty Smith
    • Anyone who suited up in Goal
    • Pavel Zacha
    • Dougie Hamilton
    • Other
  4. 4. Most pleasant surprise of the season?

• Dawson Mercer
    • Jesper Bratt
    • Nico Hischier
    • Yegor Sharangovich
    • Ryan Graves
    • PK Subban
    • Other
    • Jonas Siegenthaler
  5. 5. If you were the GM what would be the first thing you would address this off-season other than the coaches

• Goaltender
    • Left wing
    • Jasper Bratts contract
    • Top pair D man
    • I refuse to make a selection until the coaches are gone.

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

MVP was a tough one for me. I think Jack was our best player (by far), but I voted Bratt because he had the better overall season (due to GP). 

Yeah went with the same.  The stretch Jack was in the team was the time I actually enjoyed watching. But Bratt after his initial slow start dragged this sorry team through the year with Nico joining him to keep things competitive some nights. 

My 1st, 2nd , 3rd is Bratt, Jack and Nico. 

I did expect 82 points. With healthy and working goalies. But AHL goalies and Ty Smith  did help greatly to pick much higher. 

Points total svck, but team in rebuild. And I finally see, how our young core works. And productive. That’s great.
But team overall doesn’t work consistently. Experience will help, but there are a lot to fix. And teach something new.

I would start with health care structure. Personal who work with players and their health analysis is svck. 
after that goaltending coach must be fire. And Recchi ofcourse.

And new goalies ofcourse. 

after that - something could help, something will make short impact. They can find new RD for third pair. They can hire new HC. But I think the most important parts that reflect greatly are the things I did mention.

And trade Smith of course. 

Edited by Guadana

4 hours ago, Guadana said:

And trade Smith of course. 

I respect the hell out of your opinion on all things hockey my man, but this is just a terrible idea. You don’t sell at the absolute lowest value. I’d much rather just hold onto him and see if he can turn it around under different coaches, than basically give him away for some late round pick or a nothing prospect. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

how much would we have to give up to get rid of him?

It was reported Vancouver was interested in him. Fitz either wasn’t open to moving him, or couldn’t get the return he wanted.

The report came from a list by Canucks reporter with The Athletic Thomas Drance put together of defensemen the Canucks could target. He said the Canucks checked in on Smith, and some in the organization “quite admire” him as a defenseman target. It’s not like the Devils are sending Smith away for pieces. We are talking about Garland or Boeser here. These are players that could help the Devils for a long time.

Not really disappointed in Smith. Kind of expected a little bit of a sophomore slump.

I voted Zacha on biggest disappointment because of the season he was coming off of last year. Plus I think I finally gave up on him as a Devil.

Edited by Jerzey
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Not really disappointed in Smith. Kind of expected a little bit of a sophomore slump.

I voted Zacha on biggest disappointment because of the season he was coming off of last year. Plus I think I finally gave up on him as a Devil.

Same. 

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I respect the hell out of your opinion on all things hockey my man, but this is just a terrible idea. You don’t sell at the absolute lowest value. I’d much rather just hold onto him and see if he can turn it around under different coaches, than basically give him away for some late round pick or a nothing prospect. 

I did told about trading him before past season. For now he is on elc and have enough value. He is very young, and there are some veterans teams who need in young pp defenseman. 

Like it or not this is a way how Fitz must do his business at the moment of time.

If he will lose spot competition to Okhotiuk and Bahl and will play on the bench, his value will fall much more. And both Ottawa guys looked much more. Tools of Okhotiuk are much better and better fit with devils needs.

Even if they give him a spot, he will play on the third pair with questionable partner and will continue to ruin here and there. Because of what he is. And his last full year of his elc will end, what names his trade value worker.

If Fitz is really smart enough, he will find hickey trade and will move Smith in package. Even if Smith will find a way to fix his game, which I don't believe, he has no starting speed, his skating svck, he is small and softy, his defensive iq isn't very high, and with Hamilton, Severson and Luke he will never find a regular place in PP. 

Its not a sophomore slump, he was bad defensively year before. Now we have a couple and young defensemen who are better. And they will be better forever. Because of Bahl size and Okhotiuk skating, aggressiveness etc. I wish Smith only best and great success. In different team. Where he can find place to gain points. We don't need him anymore. 

Of course for now I'm not sure Fitz will trade him. And that's a problems. If Fitz worry enough about his trading, he can draft another one LD in the first round (sarcasm).

Edited by Guadana

I voted Blackwood the most disappointing because he ended last year strong and it looked like this was gonna be a big next step of a season for him. And then this season was just one mess after another, even if it wasn’t all his fault. He went from the possible future in net to a guy who may not be here in a few months depending how true the rumors of issues between he and the team are. 

• Like 1

I voted Zacha as most disappointing because as others have mentioned, a lot of us thought he was turning a corner but that was a farce. At the end of the day, the guy is extremely lazy and a perennial underachiever. Enough already,  get rid of him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

I voted Zacha as most disappointing because as others have mentioned, a lot of us thought he was turning a corner but that was a farce. At the end of the day, the guy is extremely lazy and a perennial underachiever. Enough already,  get rid of him. 

I can somewhat tolerate a player who doesn’t have it but at least tries and gives his all. Zacha not only doesn’t have the skill we thought he did, but his laziness on the ice is really insulting. I don’t think I’ve seen a player half ass it and coast around the ice as much as he does. Good teams never have low-effort players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I voted Blackwood the most disappointing because he ended last year strong and it looked like this was gonna be a big next step of a season for him. And then this season was just one mess after another, even if it wasn’t all his fault. He went from the possible future in net to a guy who may not be here in a few months depending how true the rumors of issues between he and the team are. 

He went from possible Team Canada starter to does he even have what it takes to be an NHL starter on a sh!t team. Prime candidate for most disappointing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

I can somewhat tolerate a player who doesn’t have it but at least tries and gives his all. Zacha not only doesn’t have the skill we thought he did, but his laziness on the ice is really insulting. I don’t think I’ve seen a player half ass it and coast around the ice as much as he does. Good teams never have low-effort players.

I think the most frustrating part about Zacha is he DOES have the skill. He has an NHL shot, he has the ability to go to the net for the tough goals, he has decent speed for a taller guy. He just uses none of it and it’s insane to me. He’s his agent all over again. Zacha is clearly a temperamental child and the rest of the team and organization shouldn’t have to be worried about if he’s in the mood to try or not. I was one of his biggest defenders but it’s time to move on. Let him figure it out in the KHL or ride a bus for some other organizations AHL team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the team exceeded in scoring but below in team defense.

goaltending the biggest issue had the largest impact thats why i went blackwood over zacha

ty smith is too soft, i already knew this  get knocked off the puck  

jacks injuries are a concern

• Like 1

Zacha is the poster child of "entitled, lazy professional athlete".  He plays when he wants to. And when he doesnt want to, he takes the night off. That's why I want him gone. The guy was drafted at 6 in one of the best draft classes over the past decade, and considering who else we could have had, it's just salt in the wounds. On that note, I read that Shero wanted Barzal but Conte and Lou wanted Zacha so he went along with it since he was three weeks into the job. Thankfully it was Lou's last draft with the NJ Devils. 

3 hours ago, devlman said:

He went from possible Team Canada starter to does he even have what it takes to be an NHL starter on a sh!t team. Prime candidate for most disappointing.

He missed most of the season with an injury, it’s kind of a harsh choice. But for sure, I think we had a different idea of what our goaltending would be this year and it didn’t include a 7 player rotation lol. 

8 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think the most frustrating part about Zacha is he DOES have the skill. He has an NHL shot, he has the ability to go to the net for the tough goals, he has decent speed for a taller guy. He just uses none of it and it’s insane to me. He’s his agent all over again. Zacha is clearly a temperamental child and the rest of the team and organization shouldn’t have to be worried about if he’s in the mood to try or not. I was one of his biggest defenders but it’s time to move on. Let him figure it out in the KHL or ride a bus for some other organizations AHL team. 

I used to think he had skill but is he a good skater? Not particularly. He’s average. Is he a good stick handler? Again, average. Good shot? That’s the myth. His shot really isn’t very good. How many time does he miss the net completely. 

Regardless, he’s frustrating.

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

He missed most of the season with an injury, it’s kind of a harsh choice. But for sure, I think we had a different idea of what our goaltending would be this year and it didn’t include a 7 player rotation lol. 

I could give him a pass for being injured but, after being able really reflect back, his poor rebound control goes back multiple years now to be honest. I wonder how much gains he can make in that department in the offseason.