2022 Stanley Cup playoffs thread

MadDog2020

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

So the Panthers are staring a sweep at the hands of their in-state Rivals square in the face, and a whimpering 2nd-round exit for the team that won a zillion games. Wonder if they'll take a look at their roster and think "damn, maybe paying two goalies a combined $16+m isn't in our best interest". 

Makes ya go 'hmm'

I know what they definitely will take a look at. Boobs. 

But really, stop putting this idea in our heads, I really would love to have Knight on this team.

Knight still has one year left at ELC dollars…Panthers can absolutely put this off for one more year.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Knight still has one year left at ELC dollars…Panthers can absolutely put this off for one more year.  

No they can’t, we need a goalie so they have to do it now. He’s barely old enough to go to a titty bar anyway. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, MB3 said:

They absolutely can. But they also might want to make a legitimate addition to their team and not want to kick the inevitable "oh sh!t" can down the road. 

For a team that’s going to be in “go for it” mode again next season, are they going to find a better bang for their buck in 2022-23 than Knight?

But yeah that Bobrovsky contract is a mess…especially since the guy hasn’t been all that great for them.  If the Panthers ever did have to trade Knight (much as they will hate to)…I’d love for it to be here.  Who knows what it would take.

6 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Remember when someone on this board was saying that Vasilevskiy was overrated? Id love to have an overrated goalie get a 49 save shutout in a playoff game. 

I mean what more could you ask, 50 saves?

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

He's kind of exactly what the Devils need. But coming off of an 87 point year, I wonder if he'll try to cash in even more. If it took 4 years 28 million, would you be okay with it? 

I'd still lean yes.

That depends, are we getting Knight or Matthew Tkachuk with out 2OA? 

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

we're getting Knight for a 2nd round pick remember? tits jacked TO THE FCKING MOON BAYBEEE

What sucks is that assuming Florida wants to keep him no matter what (I think this is the case), the whole "Playing two goalies a fortune" scenario short-term isn't as insanely prohibitive as we all wish it was.

For one, they won't have to worry about this until 2023-24, after which Bobrovsky will then be down to three more seasons; for another, assuming that they buy out Bobrovsky's final season (or find a way to dump him off to some team who can take on his hit for one year), now it's only two years of having tons of cash tied up in two goalies.  They also have plenty of guys who will be UFAs in the next few years...lots of money coming off....they have a ton of space projected for 2024-25.  Obviously they'll keep some of those potential UFA players (Huberdeau) and they'll have to replace others, but I would expect them to try to trade some of them for draft picks and/or cheap labor, and try to replace from within wherever possible.

The Panthers will absolutely have to make some tough calls after next season and having to pay Bobrovsky $10 million per year for his Age 34-36 seasons (assuming that they find a way out of his final Age 37 season) is a disaster waiting to happen...but they wanted to put all of their eggs in the gold-and-diamond basket of a goalie's Age 31-37 seasons, so they deserve to be screwed.  To remain competitive with Knight locked up, they're going to have to make some good deals to snag gaggles of draft picks for departing assets, and then nail those picks (and they desperately NEED some picks).  And they're going to have to sign some guys who outplay their contracts.

Basically, it wouldn't surprise me much to see them take a step back to keep Knight, and hope to put together another window where at least this time, the kid goalie should have a lot of prime years left (and not be making as much money), as opposed to the classic UFA overpayment of a guy who wasn't likely to result in a great ROI. 

For reference, here's the Panthers' cap situation...insane the number of UFAs they're going to have:

Florida Panthers Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1