2022 Stanley Cup playoffs thread

MadDog2020

Went to the watch party outside the stadium tonight (didn't wanna pay $500+ for a ticket). Really cool atmosphere, even through some periods of light rain. Disappointed the Bolts came up short, but Colorado was the better team.  They were too fast and the Lightning had no answer for their pressure and attack, especially th second half of the game. 

On to next year. It's our time again Devils!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MB3 said:

this take is so fvcking dumb and so fvcking embarrassing. every person in that room would’ve been lynched and fired within minutes if the offense-starved Devils drafted an off-board defenseman instead of the consensus centermen.

I agree, they needed a center and they picked the best one in the draft.  Also, center is a tough position to play on a bad team and he has been good.  If he gets a winger on his line he will be a star.  With Jack and Nico as 1&2 down the middle the Devils will get back to meaningful hockey and hopefully a cup one day.

Instead of whining about us not getting Makar. People should try to understand why it happened.

1- Why we picked who we picked at the time, which has been brought up

2- Why was Makar not projected higher?

It's because Makar was playing in a way way inferior league. He played Junior A in a league in Alberta. Sure he was burning the league but he was a top prospect playing in a sh!tty league... so it's one of those things that will always be tricky with scouts. Trying to gauge guys playing through different leagues, different competition, different context, etc etc You're scouting guys playing against men and limited minutes, not producing as much as he could and guys (like Makar) playing in a league inferior than a CHL team getting crazy production cause they play against sh!tty kids.

I'm not sure why Makar decided to play in that league but it's kind of on him too that his stock was affected by it.

Case in point. Brayden Point also played in that league when he got drafted... and we ALL know he should have went way way way higher than he did.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MB3 said:

this take is so fvcking dumb and so fvcking embarrassing. every person in that room would’ve been lynched and fired within minutes if the offense-starved Devils drafted an off-board defenseman instead of the consensus centermen.

Not to mention the Devils wouldn't even be a playoff team today with Makar instead of Hischier, much less a Cup winner.  Heck they'd be working on a ten-year streak of not making the playoffs and we'd have to hear about Makar being a great talent who can't win.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

No sh!t, I didn’t hear about that. 

Yeah I guess it was on the broadcast but the NHL kept that news pretty tightly guarded it would seem.  I thought for a second I'd stumbled onto Colorado's Campbell Conference trophy presentation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Not to mention the Devils wouldn't even be a playoff team today with Makar instead of Hischier, much less a Cup winner.  Heck they'd be working on a ten-year streak of not making the playoffs and we'd have to hear about Makar being a great talent who can't win.

This is true, but I don’t love the argument. If you could choose between not getting bounced in the first round that one year and having Makar for 10 years, which would you choose? 

That trip to the playoffs was basically meaningless compared to having Makar. 

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Instead of whining about us not getting Makar. People should try to understand why it happened.

1- Why we picked who we picked at the time, which has been brought up

2- Why was Makar not projected higher?

It's because Makar was playing in a way way inferior league. He played Junior A in a league in Alberta. Sure he was burning the league but he was a top prospect playing in a sh!tty league... so it's one of those things that will always be tricky with scouts. Trying to gauge guys playing through different leagues, different competition, different context, etc etc You're scouting guys playing against men and limited minutes, not producing as much as he could and guys (like Makar) playing in a league inferior than a CHL team getting crazy production cause they play against sh!tty kids.

I'm not sure why Makar decided to play in that league but it's kind of on him too that his stock was affected by it.

Case in point. Brayden Point also played in that league when he got drafted... and we ALL know he should have went way way way higher than he did.

If both Point and Makar recently came out of the same Junior League... then maybe it's time (for scouts) to start respecting that league a little more?

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If both Point and Makar recently came out of the same Junior League... then maybe it's time (for scouts) to start respecting that league a little more?

Or at least consistently be mining it for gems. 

11 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Absolutely not.  According to many, NHL scouts with their 6-figure salaries cannot be expected to do well at their job.  The draft is all a crap shoot, blah blah blah.

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Absolutely not.  According to many, NHL scouts with their 6-figure salaries cannot be expected to do well at their job.  The draft is all a crap shoot, blah blah blah.

This is quite an over simplification of a complicated situation. Makar and point were scouted. That’s why Makar went 4th, everyone knew he had talent. The problem , as explained several times, is that playing against lower competition means scouts aren’t able to judge if success will translate to the NHL or if they just look good against bad competition. 

It’s like watching a 15 year old play against 6 year olds. Yeah he looks great but does that mean he’s a future all-star?

I don’t like Shero’s tenure and I think he made a lot of mistakes, but taking Nico wasn’t one of them without using 20/20 hindsight. No one had any way of knowing Makar would be what he was, which his why Philly and Dallas also passed 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

This is quite an over simplification of a complicated situation. Makar and point were scouted. That’s why Makar went 4th, everyone knew he had talent. The problem , as explained several times, is that playing against lower competition means scouts aren’t able to judge if success will translate to the NHL or if they just look good against bad competition. 

It’s like watching a 15 year old play against 6 year olds. Yeah he looks great but does that mean he’s a future all-star?

I don’t like Shero’s tenure and I think he made a lot of mistakes, but taking Nico wasn’t one of them without using 20/20 hindsight. No one had any way of knowing Makar would be what he was, which his why Philly and Dallas also passed 

Right now a majority of this board wants to take a player #2 overall based on him putting on a show at a tournament where he played against far inferior competition.

I never said Nico was a bad pick.  However, he wasn't the right nor the best pick.

23 minutes ago, jagknife said:

In this alternate universe, if we draft Makar we probably aren't getting Jack.

How?  Makar didn't even start playing a regular season game until the 2019-20 season.

Also, is this supposed to be some kind of defense of Nico?  That is basically admitting we missed on the Nico pick.

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Draft position offers no guarantees. Consider this starting lineup that we, and a bunch of other teams, could have had:

Barzal-Ryan McLeod-Zegras

Makar-McAvoy

Demko (or Needledickovich from Detroit)

Almost every position in your lineup has a better player than what we have now.

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Almost every position in your lineup has a better player than what we have now.

Absolutely. That’s my point, you can scout as much as you want, it doesn’t guarantee you anything. Do you think 13 teams just failed to properly scout Barzal?

EDIT: or however many of them picked someone not as good?

Edited by mfitz804

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Absolutely. That’s my point, you can scout as much as you want, it doesn’t guarantee you anything. Do you think 13 teams just failed to properly scout Barzal?

At least half of those teams chose players as good or better than Brazal.  I don't think Colorado is upset about picking Rantanen at 10 overall when Barzal was still on the board.