Jump to content

2022 Stanley Cup playoffs thread


MadDog2020
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Fun start to the playoffs for sure. 

For me this does raise the question that if we made the playoffs with the team constructed as we are, how does our team handle these physical battles? 

Because Jack and Bratt are the sort of players not really built for playoff hockey. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Fun start to the playoffs for sure. 

For me this does raise the question that if we made the playoffs with the team constructed as we are, how does our team handle these physical battles? 

Because Jack and Bratt are the sort of players not really built for playoff hockey. 

 

As for on ice: I look at McLeod & Bastian as the sandpaper line. Then, if he actually gets healthy again, Wood.

But we do absolutely need a forward who can score and has size to protect Jack. Not sure who that is, though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, jagknife said:

 

As for on ice: I look at McLeod & Bastian as the sandpaper line. Then, if he actually gets healthy again, Wood.

But we do absolutely need a forward who can score and has size to protect Jack. Not sure who that is, though

Agreed, but you don't want those guys eating up significant minutes in games. 

Zetterlund could be a guy who can play both ends and play physical going forward, also Gritsyuk is a guy who doesn't shy away from a puck battle. Need some of those Coleman types to play hard minutes but chip in at both ends. 

The Athletic had an interesting peice on "Heavy Hockey" and the playoffs and how size and they style of playoff hockey currently means that smaller players production suffers in the post season.

They pointed at Gaudreau and Marner as players who have struggled after regular season hockey had finished. So will be interesting to see how they get on this year. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

If Husso keeps playing like he did last night, that dude is gonna get paid. He had some unbelievable sequences 

Yeah, he’ll get paid by the Blues. They won’t let him walk if he plays like that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah, he’ll get paid by the Blues. They won’t let him walk if he plays like that. 

They might not have a choice , they already have $6 million AAV committed to Binnington for the next 6 years. 

That is going to be an incredibly difficult contract to move, and they can't have two goaltenders taking up $12 million a year. 

It's going to take a team like Arizona doing them a favour taking on that contract. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

They might not have a choice , they already have $6 million AAV committed to Binnington for the next 6 years. 

That is going to be an incredibly difficult contract to move, and they can't have two goaltenders taking up $12 million a year. 

It's going to take a team like Arizona doing them a favour taking on that contract. 

As long as it’s not us doing the favor. I’m worried that Fitz takes that Binnington contract. He just has not gotten back to that cup level since they won. Then again, this is Hussos first big year too. Goaltending is so tricky 

We say it all the time, but damn did we get spoiled by Marty’s consistency and relative health. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Fun start to the playoffs for sure. 

For me this does raise the question that if we made the playoffs with the team constructed as we are, how does our team handle these physical battles? 

Because Jack and Bratt are the sort of players not really built for playoff hockey. 

Definitely not Sharangovich after his display lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Tom Wilson

I would take him on my team any day. In addition to being the physical presence we lack, he also outscored everyone on our team not named Nico, Bratt or Jack.

That dude is a hockey player and he makes our team look like competitive (or not competitive) ice dancers. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

As long as it’s not us doing the favor. I’m worried that Fitz takes that Binnington contract. He just has not gotten back to that cup level since they won. Then again, this is Hussos first big year too. Goaltending is so tricky 

We say it all the time, but damn did we get spoiled by Marty’s consistency and relative health. 

I don't think we can.

We will have too many players who are going to need a raise soon and you just don't want that money committed to someone who as you say has been on a downward trend. 

Formed Devil Eric Comrie is UFA from Winnipeg. He had a 0.921 save percentage across 19 games this season. He is only 26 and his current salary is $750k.

If Fitz wants to see how Blackwood and Berneir are then that is the sort of move you can make and let all three of them battle it out for the starters job through pre season. Give Daws and Schmid a whole season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i didn’t see a single thing from Schmid that made me believe he is ready to be an NHL goalie. Daws had some moments that looked like he had some potential.

I’m not sure there’s any choice with Blackwood or Bernier, neither one played enough for anyone to be confident enough to trade for them and I can’t imagine they release both of them. 

One or both of them will likely be in the mix next season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Fun start to the playoffs for sure. 

For me this does raise the question that if we made the playoffs with the team constructed as we are, how does our team handle these physical battles? 

Because Jack and Bratt are the sort of players not really built for playoff hockey. 

Perry puts a guy in a headlock and then sucker punches him with no gloves while the ref is breaking my them up. Meanwhile Maroon is whaling away on someone. Pretty disgusting display.

We definitely need toughness but that’ll be a wonderful problem to have if we can even get to being a playoff team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, jagknife said:

 

As for on ice: I look at McLeod & Bastian as the sandpaper line. Then, if he actually gets healthy again, Wood.

But we do absolutely need a forward who can score and has size to protect Jack. Not sure who that is, though

He's been up a down the last few years but Josh Anderson could probably be had if the Canadiens have to do a full rebuild.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

Ugh. ESPN is in full Ranger drooling mode and they have that Easter Island doof Messier there again on top of it. 

Still better than watching the Rag broadcast on MSG. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Still better than watching the Rag broadcast on MSG. 

It might as well be. I grew up a Devils fan in New York during the 90’s. I hate watching this while our team needs 5 meetings to figure out how to work a doorknob. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

It's ok.. playoffs schmayoffs! We have a better Twitter account than the Rags and our analytics team is the best in the NHL. So take that!

Look at all our expected goals! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.