2022 Stanley Cup playoffs thread

MadDog2020

Just now, Brewskies said:

I agree with you. I personally think they did collud for the best results for everyone. Ít was a ton of money. I just want two sound, fit, goalies for the Devils in the 2022/23 season. I am not counting on Blackwood or Bernier to be in the mix.

We shall see. Barring Bernier being unable to return from injury, I can't see them moving both. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

We shall see. Barring Bernier being unable to return from injury, I can't see them moving both. 

I think that Bernier is done, it is his hip, he is 34, he does have $4.5 M to fight for. Blackwood IMO has a chronic heel problem that could use some more rest; he was forced to play on it last season, probably when he should have been off it. Heels take time to get better, my experience, that's all. 

Sorry I haven't been following, how your puck/goalie project are coming along, how is that going?

Have a nice day. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Drouin turned into Sergachev lol.

We're not talking about the trade.  We're talking about having the foresight to take the best player when you have a top of the board pick.

Yzerman also took Tony DeAngelo in the first round and traded him for a 2nd round pick that he used to take Libor fvcking Hajek instead of Debrincat or Fox lol

5 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

Sorry I haven't been following, how your puck/goalie project are coming along, how is that going?

Well, Sam St. Laurent and Hannu Kamppuri are still not possible to find. 

Then I decided to add a half dozen guys who dressed but never left the bench. I got two of those, and still have 4 to go. 

Feels like I will never be 100% complete, but I'm already closer than I expected. So I keep looking.

Honestly, its kind of fun to have something you're searching for. There were a couple that I put a lot of effort in on and it was rewarding when I was finally successful. 

On top of that, it takes me away from jersey collecting a bit, which is both more expensive and for the most part, more readily available. 

I am going to have some time on my hands in the evenings later this week, so I may try to deep-dive a bit more. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Then I decided to add a half dozen guys who dressed but never left the bench. I got two of those, and still have 4 to go. 

Feels like I will never be 100% complete, but I'm already closer than I expected. So I keep looking.

Honestly, its kind of fun to have something you're searching for. There were a couple that I put a lot of effort in on and it was rewarding when I was finally successful. 

On top of that, it takes me away from jersey collecting a bit, which is both more expensive and for the most part, more readily available. 

I am going to have some time on my hands in the evenings later this week, so I may try to deep-dive a bit more. 

Nice attitude. Good qualities.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Im going to Quebec this weekend to see Lagwagon, NOFX and Face To Face. I feel that's the kind of shows Sam St-Laurent would go to so i'll keep an eye out for him

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Im going to Quebec this weekend to see Lagwagon, NOFX and Face To Face. I feel that's the kind of shows Sam St-Laurent would go to so i'll keep an eye out for him

He strikes me as a huge NOFX fan lol. 

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Nice! Love a lot of Face to Face’s 90’s-early 2000’s stuff.

Edited by MadDog2020

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He strikes me as a huge NOFX fan lol. 

Yeah i can totally see him and Lou at a NOFX concert back in the days lol *

I know he didn't play under Lou and that the joke is not technically accurate. But just.... picture Lou at a NOFX concert, it's hilarious

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Nice! Love a lot of Face to Face’s 90’s-early 2000’s stuff.

Yeahh they are rad.

In 2016 when they released their album Protection. They did a thing on Spotify where they go song by song and comment on how the songs came together, talk about studio time and the writing process. It's suuuuper interesting to listen to. 

Always cool to see one of the brother Schiflett play too. That it was Scott with Face to Face or Chris with No Use for a Name, Foo Fighters or either of them with Me First and The Gimme Gimmes. Legendary sibblings. Saw Scott filling for Lagwagon once too, that was sweet

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Again, for the I don't know how many times now, I said it is about hitting more than not.  I never said they have to be perfect, but the core of Tampa was drafted by Yzerman and he got a pretty good return for Drouin in Sergachev (and not one of Shero and Fitz's patented picks and parts for other teams most expendable players).  Not only that, but most of their current core players were drafted before 2016, so that is an interesting line to draw since you know they were picking in later parts of the first rounds after that.

Colorado took Ratanen in the first round in 2015.  That makes up for Greer in the second round.  Hell Ratanen alone is better than all of our 2015 picks combined.  In 2017 they chose Makar over Hischier.  They picked MacK with the first overall in 2013 even though they were "set" at center with Duschene and Stastny.

All I am saying is that the Devils are a team that has more misses than hits.  The fact that the Devils also suck at developing players is just a double-whammy.

Shero gets equal blame for Zacha.  He was the GM at the time he was sitting at the table at the draft.  He could have stopped it.

I picked that cut off because that’s when Shero took over. That seems to be the issue, Shero and Fitz’ scouting and drafting? Those are literally hits and misses that you are listing. Druin was traded for Sergachev but it’s not like Yzerman took him knowing that, that’s ridiculous. That would still be a miss.

Drafting and trading are 2 different things. I think Shero’s drafting has been meh to ok so far but not awful. Fitz I don’t think you can really judge yet. As for trades, I’m not a fan of most of Shero’s looking back, but Fitz seems to get some good value. 

Zacha falls on Conte and Shero. Big mobile forwards make Conte happy in his pants and Shero was the guy making the final call. It wasn’t a shocking pick, several people had him getting picked by us if Hanifin or Marner weren’t still around. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Again, for the I don't know how many times now, I said it is about hitting more than not.  I never said they have to be perfect, but the core of Tampa was drafted by Yzerman and he got a pretty good return for Drouin in Sergachev (and not one of Shero and Fitz's patented picks and parts for other teams most expendable players).  Not only that, but most of their current core players were drafted before 2016, so that is an interesting line to draw since you know they were picking in later parts of the first rounds after that.

Colorado took Ratanen in the first round in 2015.  That makes up for Greer in the second round.  Hell Ratanen alone is better than all of our 2015 picks combined.  In 2017 they chose Makar over Hischier.  They picked MacK with the first overall in 2013 even though they were "set" at center with Duschene and Stastny.

All I am saying is that the Devils are a team that has more misses than hits.  The fact that the Devils also suck at developing players is just a double-whammy.

Shero gets equal blame for Zacha.  He was the GM at the time he was sitting at the table at the draft.  He could have stopped it.

True, but I really blame Conte for that one since Shero was only on the job for like 2 weeks and was trusting Conte's expertise. Conte was absolutely terrible at drafting after 2000. Perfect example of tenure over talent in keeping someone employed.

5 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Actually that,s not true. I actually made a post comparing NJ and Colorado and comparing their drafts for years, combining games played, points and everything.

It was actually pretty close in total. Colorado had more "heavy hitters" like Rantanen" but we had more NHL players contributing while colorado had any guys who either never made it or doesnt contribute at all

5 hours ago, slasher72 said:

True, but I really blame Conte for that one since Shero was only on the job for like 2 weeks and was trusting Conte's expertise. Conte was absolutely terrible at drafting after 2000. Perfect example of tenure over talent in keeping someone employed.

Ha, I’ve always said the pick of Adrian Foster in the 1st round of the 2001 draft was the exact moment David Conte jumped the shark. Foster wasn’t even available to go up to the stage because he had no expectation of going in the 1st round of the draft after dealing with like 2 years of ab injuries.   

Edited by Lateralous

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Ha, I’ve always said the pick of Adrian Foster in the 1st round of the 2001 draft was the exact moment David Conte jumped the shark. Foster wasn’t even available to go up to the stage because he had no expectation of going in the 1st round of the draft after dealing with like 2 years of ab injuries.   

Interesting to see who was still available when Conte picked Adrian Foster...Mike Cammalleri and Jason Pominville. Lol. 

29 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Honest mistake, but still pretty embarrassing. 

I feel like this is really easy to do for hockey players, most of them just look like regular dudes. And who knows if that cop was even a hockey fan, he would have no shot at identifying Byram if he isn’t.