Nas & Recchi Fired

mfitz804

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

First reaction:  this is obviously great news.  Those two could NOT be allowed to come back, under any circumstances, no fvcking way.

That being said, if you're with @DevsMan84, in that you're concerned about ownership being willing to go as far as they should with regards to spending where it's warranted...it's valid in this case.  nASS' contract was apparently expiring, so letting him go didn't cost the Devils anything.  Recchi couldn't have been signed for anything crazy, so even though that one cost the Devils some coin, it wasn't much.  Was that the reason that both were kept as long as they were, even when it was insanely apparent that they deserved to be let go during the season?  To save some pennies?

Who can say what happens with Lindy, but I'm pretty sure he's a lame duck, with only next season left on his contract. 

The guess here:  Lindy is retained but not extended...he'll be told that a potential extension will be revisited down the line, depending on how the Devils perform to start 2022-23 (who else is hiring him anyway?).  Dineen will be forced on him as an assistant...if the Devils stumble out of the gate or start to swoon once again in Nov-Dec, Lindy will be canned, and Dineen will get the interim tag...if the Devils turn it around under him, he'll get a contract and will be come the Devils' HC for 2023-24 and beyond.  For lack of better words, the Devils are starting next season with one interim head coach, and another in reserve...probably because it's "cost-effective". 

As happy as I am that nASS and Recchi are gone, it feels like the Devils are ultimately going "corporate collaborative half-measure" with this.  Maybe they're still evaluating Ruff, and maybe this thing isn't fully over yet, but I get the feeling the owners don't like the idea of having another HC being paid along with Ruff, so this is the "happy medium".  Just wish we could've gone happy large, but obviously could've been plenty worse.    

It's a little bit better than what I figured was going to happen (only Recchi getting canned), but this is as half-assed that Fitz could get.  Fitz either perpetually has the fence stuck up his ass, is getting his orders from those above, or is simply too chicken-sh!t to do the right thing which is to fire Ruff along with it.  Nass wasn't even technically fired either, his contract was simply left to expire so that's more money saved by the owners.

If Ruff got his behind saved by Jack's comments then it seems like the pecking order of the organization goes from Jack->Owners->Fitz.  Wonderful, just like when Eichel was calling the shots up in Buffalo.

52 minutes ago, titans04 said:

yeah, could of made a major statement and they choose not to. For a team that has struggled so bad for so long they were in a position to overhaul the rotting fish behind the bench from the head down.  It would be interesting to know what nass and recchi's contract statuses were going into this off season.  Or if they even were under contract going into next season which would make this move stink because they would of essentially have done nothing but let them or possibly one of them walk? But hey Jack really likes Sleepy behind the bench so there's that.

Lame ducks rarely work, but they do save you money at least initially.

There were so many better options than this one when it comes to HC going into next season and it would of been criminal to have brought back or resigned whatever the deal was with the asshats.  Fitz choose to be half pregnant which I've yet to see work well. So in the theme of the Brooks piece, typical Devils, nothing to see here.

Owners took the path of least resistance here.  It definitely falls into the team way of conducting business and in particular the tendency to trade picks/parts for other teams most expendable players.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It's a little bit better than what I figured was going to happen (only Recchi getting canned), but this is as half-assed that Fitz could get.  Fitz either perpetually has the fence stuck up his ass, is getting his orders from those above, or is simply too chicken-sh!t to do the right thing which is to fire Ruff along with it.  Nass wasn't even technically fired either, his contract was simply left to expire so that's more money saved by the owners.

If Ruff got his behind saved by Jack's comments then it seems like the pecking order of the organization goes from Jack->Owners->Fitz.  Wonderful, just like when Eichel was calling the shots up in Buffalo.

I'm not going to go that far with the pessimism.  At least the unthinkable (the staff coming back intact) didn't happen.  I need more news to react to (like an announcement re:  Ruff's status).  

Posted (edited)

If the cheap-ass owners are only keeping Ruff because they don’t want to pay him his minimum wage coach salary for him to sit on his ass, then let’s start collecting. I’ll throw in a few bucks. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

Have they fired the PA announcer yet? 

he has another year left @ $5,500 and all the hot dogs he can eat. He gets to ride the rest of the deal out too.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's in my post, re:  contract statuses...nASS was simply not renewed...he would've had to have been extended.  Recchi was still under contract, though I don't know for how much longer.  I'm pretty sure Lindy only has one year left (hence the lame duck status).  I would've rather a full cleansing of the staff, but until Fitz comes out and says definitively that Lindy's being retained, guess we can't yet assume he's coming back.  

Fair enough if that's your pov CR76.  As a point of discussion can anybody remember a scenario where assistant coaches were let go and then an org went back later on down the road in the same off season and let the HC go?  Wouldn't an announcement like this normally indicate the HC was being retained? Trying to limit any false hope that may be running around in the back of my own head, not trying to kill off anyone else's.  Good news is we have 6 whole months before the season starts.

Just now, titans04 said:

Fair enough if that's your pov CR76.  As a point of discussion can anybody remember a scenario where assistant coaches were let go and then an org went back later on down the road in the same off season and let the HC go?  Wouldn't an announcement like this normally indicate the HC was being retained? Trying to limit any false hope that may be running around in the back of my own head, not trying to kill off anyone else's.  Good news is we have 6 whole months before the season starts.

Yeah it would be unusual for sure, but I think the current structure within the Devils is just kooky enough at the moment that I wouldn't be shocked if Ruff was let go later than the assistants.        

4 minutes ago, titans04 said:

I will say it would be weird to announce the assistants are let go and then wait to announce the HC is let go as well. I'd think they'd just fire them all, but if that's the case they would have another person lined up first and maybe they don't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think Nico and jack have a say in decisions at this point. The might know better. 

Just now, bobilly45 said:

He sounds like a bad version of the guy on the price is right calling people down.   

He sounds like someone is giving him a prostate exam while he is announcing. 

1 minute ago, bobilly45 said:

He sounds like a bad version of the guy on the price is right calling people down.   

I mean, you hold an amateur audition for what should require extensive professional experience and this is what you get. Amateur hour is normal for this management group.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, devlman said:

I mean, you hold an amateur audition for what should require extensive professional experience and this is what you get. Amateur hour is normal for this management group.

A professional PA announcer costs money. And we know that these idiot owners don’t spend money on sh!t that doesn’t net them ROI. A PA announcer offers no ROI, hence holding a fvcking PA announcer contest poorly disguised as a customer data mining operation.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

A professional PA announcer costs money. And we know that these idiot owners don’t spend money on sh!t that doesn’t net them ROI. A PA announcer offers no ROI, hence holding a fvcking PA announcer contest poorly disguised as a customer data mining operation.

Just make the M&Ms seat upgrade winner the announcer for the night. 

45 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

If Ruff is staying aboard and is allowed to choose his assistants, I am predicting a David Quinn hiring.

I could see that. Ruff was on Quinn’s staff with the Rags. 

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Get Ruff out too, stop carrying over the garbage to the next season each year. 

Sick of his "learning valuable lessons" bs line. 

I think the writing has been laid out loud and clear with ruff, he’s going to get another shot next season with a healthy roster before he is kicked the fvck out the door. Let’s see who he has working with him, hopefully they dont go right off to immediate dumpster diving.

It’s crazy Nas had been with the Devils since 2015. That feels like a lifetime ago. I’m looking forward to seeing some new blood behind the bench. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Get Ruff out too, stop carrying over the garbage to the next season each year. 

Sick of his "learning valuable lessons" bs line. 

Fitz after his power move of half flushing the toilet.

sound up.

• Haha 4