• Draft Slafkovsky
    • Draft Nemec
    • Draft Jiricek
    • Trade down
    • Trade for immediate help
    • Draft Cooley
    • Other

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

You really think Slafkovsky or Cooley is the player that'd make them go? fvck our future in net and what we promised this kid, we NEED this guy instead.

And that’s the thing - if there’s a player sitting there at 2OA worth Florida trading Knight for, why would we not just take him? And then figure out a partner to split starts with Blackwood in FA, or at least a much less high end trade. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

And that’s the thing - if there’s a player sitting there at 2OA worth Florida trading Knight for, why would we not just take him? And then figure out a partner to split starts with Blackwood in FA, or at least a much less high end trade. 

especially when you see where good goalies can come from, you REALLY don't need to trade a 2O for them.

vezina nominees this year? Shesterkin was drafted 118th, Saros 99th and Markstrom 31st

year before Grubauer, 112nd... Hellebuyck 130th, Rinne 258th, Bobvrosky is undrafted, etc etc

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

First of all it’s all academic because Knight isn’t available, but…

I suspect we will be sorely disappointed with the goalies that will be available this off-season. I’m just hoping we stay away from the 7 or so former Devils that will be available. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I suspect we will be sorely disappointed with the goalies that will be available this off-season. I’m just hoping we stay away from the 7 or so former Devils that will be available. 

It's a grim way to look at things, but i'm fully prepared and expecting any goalies we get, no matter how, trade, UFA or wtv, to be potentially disapointing. So that's why at least i much rather signing one so that at least you didnt waste assets that may thrive on another team while you're watching that piece of sh!t not stopping pucks.

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He was a year removed from having been demoted to the ECHL. Do you think he was ready to be an NHL starter? I don’t. 

Eh, he only went down for 5 games, so it’s not like it was a particularly long stint.

Anyway, whether or not he was ready is debatable, but he did get some development at the lower levels. That’s all I was saying. The team has mishandled enough situations in recent year, but I don’t really think that was one of them. He looked pretty damn good his first couple seasons (.918 & .915). 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Idk, there’s really only way to go - and that’s up. It’s hard to imagine an equal (or worse) situation than the platoon of guys we had to roll out this season. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Eh, he only went down for 5 games, so it’s not like it was a particularly long stint.

Anyway, whether or not he was ready is debatable, but he did get some development at the lower levels. That’s all I was saying. The team has mishandled enough situations in recent year, but I don’t really think that was one of them. He looked pretty damn good his first couple seasons (.918 & .915). 

I get that, but he went from a guy that needed a 5 game stint in the ECHL to being ready to be an NHL starter that fast?

I think he would have been better served playing behind a veteran for a bit first. But it is what it is at this point? My two questions now are is he healthy, and can he recapture his early “success”. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Idk, there’s really only way to go - and that’s up. It’s hard to imagine an equal (or worse) situation than the platoon of guys we had to roll out this season. 

Yeah, that’s true. But whereas we are talking about getting Knight and/or using the 2OA to get a stud goalie, it’s just not going to happen, nor will signing a big free agent. Husso will be re-signed in St. Louis, even after the guy behind him in the AHL scored that awesome goal the other night. We will wind up with an older veteran of questionable durability, or the veteran of questionable durability we already have. 

Edited by mfitz804

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Let’s pretend Florida offers the trade, to take the “would florida do it” out of the question. How many people here would say yes? 

I would seriously think about it, I can tell you that. I’d probably do it. 

i mean, yeah i'd do it if i knew that Knight is solid for sure and not the next Carter Hart, which we're still not even sure what he is.

I'd also say yes to Zacha for McDavid

I'd also say yes to Zetterlund for Makar

I'd also say yes for prime Ovechkin for prime Bryce Salvador. 

There's so many trades that'd never happen that i'd say yes to actually

Edited by SterioDesign

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i mean, yeah i'd do it if i knew that Knight is solid for sure and not the next Carter Hart, which we're still not even sure what he is.

I'd also say yes to Zacha for McDavid

I'd also say yes to Zetterlund for Makar

I'd also say yes for prime Ovechkin for prime Bryce Salvador. 

There's so many trades that'd never happen that i'd say yes to actually

If you are going to wait for trades or draft picks or free agents to be guaranteed, you are probably not going to make very many moves. 

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If you are going to wait for trades or draft picks or free agents to be guaranteed, you are probably not going to make very many moves. 

i wouldnt wait for players, goalies is a completely different thing. and like it's been discussed a lot recently, incredibly unpredictable and inconsistent

Plus trading someone who would play potentially 82 games vs someone who should play half and who's not guarantee to play well in those games, thats different too

Edited by SterioDesign

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Shesterkin wasn't even the first goalie picked in his draft class. I think he was like 4th. Plus he wasn't even the first goalie picked by the Rangers that year lol they picked 2 and he was the 2nd one. And he only made his NHL debut at like 25 years old. 

For all we know Nico Daws could be just as good as he is when he's that age too, who fvcking knows lol

The 3 vezina nominees this year has been picked.... 118th, 31th and 99th in their draft... it's really all over the place

Are you putting your eggs in the Daws claws? Risky basket.

This is how you gonna get vezina goalie. You are drafting specific goalies every year and one of them will be your jack pot. There are some... I would say, stability from specific goalie school in the world. That works pretty good. Better than swiss school or czech school or even sweden school. There is some consistent school that create good goalies. If we will not pick them year after year.. by our 3rd round picks, or 5th. May be when we will use couple of picks for goalies, we will draft Frazees and Cormiers. I`m ok to pick swiss goalis. May be we would be luckey ones, who finally will grow vezina winner from switzerland, but I would prefer Russian goalies. Because they are good.  Russian centers are bad, talented players used as soon as possible, coaches are asking to much and young centers cant handle with duty, and they are used as a wingers. But goalies... nothing gonna changed, if Devils will prefer 93%+ 1year+ overaged goalie from MHL or VHL. It`s a better gamble for the 5\6th round than guy like Hurtig. Or us\russian center Schleine. Or austrian guy Baumgartner. You will pick 7 goalies in 7 years in late rounds, it will cost you nothing, some will never be a good goalies, some of them will never travel to us, but with good scouting you will find one, who will play on the level we can only dream about. Just imagine if devils did something like that and we would have Shestyorkin type goalie next year. How do you think it could change the direction of the team? You are getting mature talented goalie with one year of ELC, and even if he will play greatly, he will get something like Shestyorkin or Sorokin, and you are getting vezina level goalie for cheap. 

For example Dmitriy Nikolayev. 
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/353753/dmitri-nikolayev
He was good in MHL(junior league), VHL(AHL\allsvenskan Russian analog), and even KHL. Good size and age. Even when he was 18, he was 92.9% in MHL.
The option lies on the surface. He won't have to wait long. It won't cost much. And since his draft season, when he was not even taken, he has consistently shown results in any league. In season and in playoff. You won't have to wait for him because he's not 18 years old. But at the same time, he recently turned only 22 years old.
Draft or sing as free agent - there are nothing heavy to make a move for Fitz. No matter what is goin on, NHL teams continue to sign and relocate russian players.

Sad part is Fitz will never sign him. Or other talented guys. Because as I understand Devils dont have goalie scouts in Russia. And it is pretty sad. LIke MB3 did mention, you can easily watch how Vasilevsky make impact in TB wins against good teams. And how good teams without tremendous goaltending can`t make a huge step forward. SOmetimes some goalies under good defensive coaches showing good game, but it is not consistent.  Hope Daws or Malek will be good enough. I don`t want the bad destiny of good team with avarage or below average goalies for the devils. And my completely working cheap offer is most likely just a shaking of the air.

15 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Are you putting your eggs in the Daws claws? Risky basket.

Of course not. Not sure what i said that would suggest that either.

I basically said that it's so unpredictable that we could very well have a future vezina winner with Daws and we have no idea haha

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Of course not. Not sure what i said that would suggest that either.

I basically said that it's so unpredictable that we could very well have a future vezina winner with Daws and we have no idea haha

Reread your post and it could be understand that way easily. Reread last messeges and it sounds absolutely different in context. 

I would say I cant believe in any goalie, but I would trust when we would have 5-7 talented goalies.

Edited by Guadana

Wright kind of sh!t the bed in the playoffs and more scouts are starting to really push the narrative that he's truly not a worthy #1 pick.

He was on the ice for 25 goals against in 10 playoffs games and only scored 3 goals.

So hopefully that's not putting us in a bad situation where Slafkovsky or Cooley are picked ahead of us.

Or it's a blessing in disguise and we're trading down and grabbing Nemec instead

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

what a zero effort smelly wet dump of a post lol. In what universe is 2OA for knight similar to Zacha for McDavid? 

Both are trades. That involve hockey teams and a minimum of one dude from North America. 

That’s all I got. 

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

since I'm bored at work and could use some interesting reading, can you pass along the scouts that are pushing that narrative? 

Well i can't go back and find them all cause in the last week that's all i see on my feed. Since MTL are linked to Shane Wright that's all we get in my news feed.

But here's one that i remember, Grant McCagg who use to be a scout for MTL and now runs this site https://recrutes.ca

You can also start from this tweet and read his other tweets and comments

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

what a zero effort smelly wet dump of a post lol. In what universe is 2OA for knight similar to Zacha for McDavid? 

They are simply all trades for guys that their team would never trade IMO. Was a fun list to put together. Florida are simply not trading Knight

Edited by SterioDesign

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

They are simply all trades for guys that their team would never trade IMO. Was a fun list to put together. Florida are simply not trading Knight

I’m just thinking that I hope we have fully explored the Zacha for McDavid thing. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m just thinking that I hope we have fully explored the Zacha for McDavid thing. 

i'll be fully honest with you. I'd even throw Thompson in that deal if that can help. Cause i assume the Oilers would have to take on some salary.