• Draft Slafkovsky
    • Draft Nemec
    • Draft Jiricek
    • Trade down
    • Trade for immediate help
    • Draft Cooley
    • Other

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Nope, she's probably boring as fvck and/or makes you use a protractor so you are hitting it at the correct angle. Then she's spending the whole time comparing your performance to her Anticipated Orgasm %. 

Pass. 

The good news is that after I disappoint her, I can just explain that while my zone entry might have seemed weak, it was actually the fault of my line mate as my Expected Enjoyment stayed at a high percentage the whole time, therefore it can be reasoned that what seemed like a poor performance can be chalked up to bad luck. 

On 5/26/2022 at 8:34 AM, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

This is Meghan Chayka who is a data scientist and co-founder of the ice hockey analytics firm Stathletes. 

I move your previous remarks be stricken from the record sir. 

She looks like she would be a very annoying person.  Pass.

On 5/26/2022 at 3:34 PM, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

This is Meghan Chayka who is a data scientist and co-founder of the ice hockey analytics firm Stathletes. 

I move your previous remarks be stricken from the record sir. 

Foo. Surgery face. Hard pass.

• Like 4

https://twitter.com/BHolmes_Hockey/status/1529129383914504194 

Draft Eligibles at the #IIHFWorlds

1. P Laine, 2016: 12P in 10GP

2. J Slafkovsky, 2022: 9P in 7GP

3. A Matthews, 2016: 9P in 10GP

4. P Kariya, 1993: 9P in 8GP

5. K Kakko, 2019: 7P in 10GP

6. J Eichel, 2015: 7P in 10GP

7. S Nemec, 2022: 6P in 7GP

8. O Jokinen, 1997: 6P in 8GP

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Guadana said:

At the risk of being called a stat nerd: put into context versus other recent players, it is even more impressive. The year that Laine got his 12 points, Finland made it to the finals. He was tied for the team lead in points, but Finland was good enough to have multiple players who were scoring at a 1 point/game pace. Matthews was on a decent USA team, that made it to the semifinals, also was tied for the team lead in points. Kakko was tied with 2 other players for 2nd on his team in points, on the team that went on to win the tournament.

All that to say that Slafkovsky was on a team that didn't even make it out of the first round (quarterfinals), and was first on his team in points - the only player who scored more than one point per game on his team. In second were several players with 6 points, and while a 3 point differential doesn't seem like much, that means Slaf had 50% more points than the next best player on his team. Really impressive performance there from Juraj. 

Pretty cool that Nemec made the list, too.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, nessus said:

At the risk of being called a stat nerd: put into context versus other recent players, it is even more impressive. The year that Laine got his 12 points, Finland made it to the finals. He was tied for the team lead in points, but Finland was good enough to have multiple players who were scoring at a 1 point/game pace. Matthews was on a decent USA team, that made it to the semifinals, also was tied for the team lead in points. Kakko was tied with 2 other players for 2nd on his team in points, on the team that went on to win the tournament.

All that to say that Slafkovsky was on a team that didn't even make it out of the first round (quarterfinals), and was first on his team in points - the only player who scored more than one point per game on his team. In second were several players with 6 points, and while a 3 point differential doesn't seem like much, that means Slaf had 50% more points than the next best player on his team. Really impressive performance there from Juraj. 

You skirted the line, you aren’t a stat nerd. 😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nessus said:

Where is high dangerous chances, where is HDC against? Whats about fenwik and corsi? Whats about SV% when he was on the ice? Lazy stat nerding, man, I`m not impressed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Context, is he scored against Kazakhstan and France .. kid showed his skills nicely but let's hold off on the hall of fame induction.? He did have 4 shots against Finland which is probably a tougher feat. As they have a stifling defense

he wasn't the only one playing against those teams... 
And that Laine & Matthews got easy games as well... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moustic said:

he wasn't the only one playing against those teams... 
And that Laine & Matthews got easy games as well... 

His group that year was very , very weak. Belarus, Hungary, France , Germany and Slovakia. USA and Canada were the only challenges in that group. They then played Denmark in the quarters. 

A quick search shows Laine put up half of his points for the tournament in the games against Belarus and Germany (2g-1a in each). He was held pointless in his two games against Canada and the game against the USA. Only big name he got a point against was Russia. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 8:37 AM, Guadana said:

I hope Montreal doesn’t skip over the consensus #1.  I’m hoping the Devils get Slafkovsky.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

His group that year was very , very weak. Belarus, Hungary, France , Germany and Slovakia. USA and Canada were the only challenges in that group. They then played Denmark in the quarters. 

A quick search shows Laine put up half of his points for the tournament in the games against Belarus and Germany (2g-1a in each). He was held pointless in his two games against Canada and the game against the USA. Only big name he got a point against was Russia. 

so the point is other good  players scored goals against weak opponents. well, yeah, it still doesn't mean much imo. Laine and Matthew were much more prolific scorers in their youth leagues. that where they made their money. all im saying is dont put all your eggs in this one tourney.  i want the best available player, skater scorer

12 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

so the point is other good  players scored goals against weak opponents. well, yeah, it still doesn't mean much imo. Laine and Matthew were much more prolific scorers in their youth leagues. that where they made their money. all im saying is dont put all your eggs in this one tourney.  i want the best available player, skater scorer

Slaf wasn’t playing in a “youth league” though. He was playing in Liiga. And once he started seeing more ice time after the Olympics he started producing at a much better rate. 

26 minutes ago, devlman said:

Ugh Pronman ranked Slaf number one on his board and compared him to Rick Nash. Don’t get any ideas, Montreal.

I’ve seen the Rick Nash comps a few times now. As someone who watched a ton of Nash in Columbus - I would be extremely happy with that. He had very little around him when he was putting up 30-40 goals a season for all those years.