• Draft Slafkovsky
    • Draft Nemec
    • Draft Jiricek
    • Trade down
    • Trade for immediate help
    • Draft Cooley
    • Other

5 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I just want to expand on a couple of points you made.  Holtz will be a top 4 winger in 2023-24 and that is good enough for me.

Devils do not need Gaudreau.  They actually need a Maroon or Boyle type player to bring a strong veteran presence among the forward group.

For a team that finished 20th in the league for goals for I would say otherwise.  However, I would much have DeBrincat or Pasta over Gaudreau.

16 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

For a team that finished 20th in the league for goals for I would say otherwise.  However, I would much have DeBrincat or Pasta over Gaudreau.

I would be all over Pasta at 26.  He is a proven goal scorer and worth the 9-10m.  He is worth the 2OA over Fiala. I have the same opinion for DeBrincat.  2 proven 40 goal scorers that for the same time line.

20 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

37 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

That is a simplistic view.  Everyone at 6.75 and above  is a star that includes a goalie.  They also have depth players like Maroon for 1m.  The Devils already have 3 players above 6.75m.  I would rather they keep their 2OA and sign Bratt for 7 years 7m, that would make 4 players above 6.75m.  They have Holtz coming up and if he pans out, that’s another 7+m contract.  Not too mention Severson, Graves, Siegs and Sharangovich will need contracts next year.  They can wait another year when prospects like Luke, Bahl, Okhutyuk, Foote, Zetterlund and Thompson, that could make current roster players expendable for trades.  Right now they need solid veterans that are winners and a goalie.  

And I would think that Severson will be looking north of $6m, given he is already making $4.1 and would probably be sought after in free agency. Maybe you get a "hometown discount" and its in the 5's, but it still adds to the cap. 

I'm most interested in where Sharangovich winds up. Guy has now twice looked like a $6.75m player and a $800k player in the same season. 

Just now, MB3 said:

I don’t know how anyone looks at the final 4 teams left in the playoffs this year and thinks “hmm…. frugality is the way.” 

The devils core is mostly home grown, like these guys. but they’re getting secondary scoring through trades and free agency and the devils desperately need that.

I would like to be near the cap ceiling every year. People are actually making the argument (in some places) that we shouldn't go after higher priced players because Luke Hughes will be due a raise in 4 years (assuming he stays in college one more year). 

14 minutes ago, MB3 said:

you think the Devils should avoid adding a superstar in his prime that fits a team need because there’s a chance that Holtz on his second bridge deal 4 years from now needs $7m per season? 

“nah honey don’t ask for a raise, there’s a chance in 5 years i hit on a scratch off lmao.” 

Jesus Christ 

Fiala had one great year at 25.  I’d rather they have DeBrincat or Pasta at 24, 26 respectively who had multiple 40 goal seasons on the last year of their contracts.

and Jesus Christ, i didn’t say Hotlz will get 7m, I said if he pans out he could get 7m.

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I don’t know how anyone looks at the final 4 teams left in the playoffs this year and thinks “hmm…. frugality is the way.” 

The devils core is mostly home grown, like these guys. but they’re getting secondary scoring through trades and free agency and the devils desperately need that.

It’s not about frugality.  It’s about the Cap and where to spend 6-10m.  I would pay Pasta or Debrincat 9m, but I don’t think Fiala is a 40 goal scorer, which is what the Devils need.

Well, if the coaching position isn't fixed then it wont matter if we trade away our 2OA + prospects (Holtz/Okhotiuk/Bahl), and players (Zetterlund/Sharangovich/Mercer) for Pasta, DeBrincat, or *gulp* Fiala. We'll just have an additional star player on a poorly coached team that tanks by December. I hope Fitz finds Ruff the assistants he needs but the jury's still out on his ability to do so. I mean, while Nass was finally removed after 7 years, and Recchi was an obvious dismissal, Rogalski still remains as the goaltending coach. 🤔

Edited by slasher72

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Wich contracts they give to their "secondary scoring" players and how many bucks did have those players they got through the trades? Johnny G is a secondary scoring winger? Or Forsberg? Did they trade their top prospects like Holtz? 
You are making your argument worser when you are trying to use Tampa as example.

9 minutes ago, MB3 said:

so far your go-to style for arguments seems to be “invent something the other person said and then disagree with it.” 

no, Johnny Gaudreau (or Kevin Fiala or Alex DeBrincat) wouldn’t be their secondary scorers. Guys like dawson mercer, jesper bratt, nico hischier, hopefully alex holtz fill that gap nicely. crazy line of thinking I’ve got here, I guess? “When you add a bonifide top-line winger, guys who were previously filling that role become secondary scorers.” I’m amazing! 

yes, they will eventually be due raises. that’s probably fine news for the Devils who haven’t spent within $6m of the salary cap since I was in high school. 

Do you rank someone else's communication format? Seriously? I thought we were accepting communication styles, because your style can't be called gentlemanly either.

I understand that something was happened from the time when you was in high school, but it`s a new time for the team. Team has literally new time line. It`s a prime years of our top players, like Nico, Jack etc. And, like I think, smart manager will try to surround them with players, with wich timeline they connect. And can complement their talent. When I call guys like Kadri or Marchment as good potential target I understand that they are older, but they will not sign deals for years where they will not worth it. Gaudreau and Forsberg will sign. In the years of cap hit only Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin ends their long term deals. A lot of teams hit the cap ceiling and have trouble with it. It cost them much. Chicago lost freakin Panarin because of that. And we even didn`t play one play off game with Jack. And you are talking about sign a player, wich contract could damage our cap hit right in time of the prime of our players.  Big part of our talents won't even be in their prime yet.
Gaudreau is good, but he isn`t Ovechkin and he isn`t Crosby. Forsberg... Fiala is young but he isn`t a good compliment for our players. His case is about balance. Devils are the 3rd team in scoring from the rushes. He isn`t good two way forward, he isn`t good physical player. He isn`t good defensive player. He is good perimetr player. Very good dynamic player. But it`s all about the same and doesnt help where we should fix. And it cost us money to fix the problem. His sign is a case how to build a team for fun. If you want first round only, may be second - that`s ok. But it`s not enough for me. Again, if you want to trade Holtz for Fiala, I could understand that, but, again, it doesnt really help with our problems and we will have less money to fix it. I prefer to trade Holtz for strong defenseman. Not for Fiala. 
Pasta is a great option, he will cost much, but he is young enough and he is really special player. May be not on the level with best ones, but close to them. Would I trade Holtz for him - easily. (with sign only of course) Would I trade 2oa for him. Interesting question. I would say no, because if they ask 2oa or even 2oa+Holtz(I believe they will), and I will got 45 goals, I prefer to safe both and will got 30-60+ goals from both of them in the prime of this team, and I will got them on controlling deals for more years. I think you greatly underestimate the result Holtz showed for his age, I'm not sure that you've seen at least a couple of Slavkovsky's games and soberly rate which player we will soon get in the draft. 
Sorry for making long read. I know, it`s a mistake. 

I know it`s a torture for you to watch non NHL games. I give you fresh video of his highlights. He is only 18 yo guy. Try to relax and imagine how he will play with Nico or Jack. Guy is special.

2 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

I know we are talking about Gadreau, Debrincat, Fiala etc, but what guarantees they will be as good on our team as the others. Chicago, CGY and Minny all have better teams than us

Chicago isn’t. 

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Chicago isn’t. 

Why? They did trade for 9.5 mil Jones and bury.. I mean they made better themselfs. Now evrybody talk about trading Debrinkat because they are too good and even a guy like him will not be able to hold. Not the best one apparently. 

btw I  would prefer to sign him if I would BH gm. If they want to tank, they can deal 50% of Kane contract.

Edited by Guadana

I'm impressed with Logan Cooley as well as Suraj (after reading a lil bit more). I like the idea of having another depth center. But I'd be stoked to pick either @ 2.

20 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

what do they know that we don't !!? ughh

It’s just another hot take.  Billy Bean knows that no one has a crystal ball.  Fitz is in a great position to move this team forward, just like Shero was after Hall’s MVP season and playoff appearance.  Shero did nothing and the build stalled.  This off-season will define Fitz’s tenure as a GM for the Devils.  The difference between the team then and now is they had more of a veteran presence with Hall, Palms, Boyle, Greene and Zajac.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

It’s just another hot take.  Billy Bean knows that no one has a crystal ball.  Fitz is in a great position to move this team forward, just like Shero was after Hall’s MVP season and playoff appearance.  Shero did nothing and the build stalled.  This off-season will define Fitz’s tenure as a GM for the Devils.  The difference between the team then and now is they had more of a veteran presence with Hall, Palms, Boyle, Greene and Zajac.

That's not really fair, re:  Shero having done "nothing" after 2017-18.  Look at all of the top producers of the 2018-19 team; pretty much all of those guys were expected to be back...fair amount of youth in the mix.  Hall only played 33 games...that was obviously a killer.  Some guys didn't take steps forward as quickly as we would've liked (or never took any at all).  Schneider was still signed to a lot of money long-term and wasn't that far removed from some terrific seasons; of course he was going to get another look, to see how he'd recover from injury (he started horribly but actually finished well).

Shero did go out and get PK (obviously didn't work out, but it was considered to be a big move at the time).  He locked up Nico.  Made one too many other moves that didn't pay off, sure.  If you're referring to UFA, not like upper-tier UFAs were racing to come to NJ at the time, and as far as trades went, it's not like Shero had this awesome asset pool to deal from; hence, the picks for NHLers with potential upside in several cases.  Wanna say he stuck with Hynes too long, no one's going to argue you on that one.  Wanna say he could've had a better Plan B in 2019-20 re:  Schneider potentially being finished, yeah, won't fight you on that either...sucks that his contract became so prohibitive so quickly.  But not like he did nothing.  

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

what do they know that we don't !!? ughh

How to use a spreadsheet? 

His model uses historical data to make a comparisons against players who took   similar path and put up similar numbers in their draft years.  He then looks to see if those players had success in the NHL. 

So it's not taking into account anything other than that. There is no potential factored in or other intangibles, it is purely numbers driven.