• Draft Slafkovsky
    • Draft Nemec
    • Draft Jiricek
    • Trade down
    • Trade for immediate help
    • Draft Cooley
    • Other

44 minutes ago, Guadana said:

yeah. But I spent a lot of time, It's nice when you realize that you understand somthing on the regular basis. It's part of my hockey passion. it's interesting and fascinating to me. And the draft is a rare holiday for me, which I have been approaching and preparing for a very long time. 

I get it.   I can't say I don't enjoy when I'm right too, I was just surprised to see you toot your own horn so much, maybe because you rarely do it.  Kudos to you for being right :) 

• Like 1

This is important to keep in mind. It might be a risk, but these kind of players can be players that become really special. Wright was going to be vanilla, kind of like RNH i feel. Good player, useful but nothing "special".

I much much much rather go for a guy who's putting up numbers, proving he CAN get numbers... rather than guessing that a guy putting low number might put up more if he was in a different situation.

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

the analytics nerds fvcking LOVE this pick.

Hockey Prospecting: "Simon Nemec is one of the best D prospects the Hockey Prospecting model has ever seen (model even undervalues him). Massive production in the pro Slovakia league in his D-1 and DY. Like we've never seen from a draft eligible pro Euro player."

"Nemec should be a significant offensive producing defenseman. Could be the best player from the draft. Love this pick and love that New Jersey went a bit off the board to select this dynamo."

From TopDown Hockey:

"Nemec has played against grown men in Slovakia for each of the last two seasons, and scored at an excellent rate in both of them. With size to match his offensive talents, he is an elite prospect."

There's that "grown men" thing again. Doesn't meanuch if those grown men don't have much in the way of talent

28 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

But yeah

Graves - Hamilton

Hughes - Nemec

Siegenthaler - Severson

This is sexy

Then you have Bahl, Mukh and Walsh in the pipeline ready to step in

This is a deep group and this is how you win

Also Okhotyuk and Vukojevic.

• Like 2

Just now, xxchaznjxx said:

Also Okhotyuk and Vukojevic.

Yeah... i mean... depending on where this season go if....

Ty Smith comes back to being the player he was 2 years ago... That Nico takes another step... Jack keep progressing... Bratt keep progressing.. that Holtz can make the NHL and have an impact... if Blackwood can come back and that we get another goalie... etc etc

IF things go well... we're FINALLY in a position where we're out of the lottery pick... can start trading prospects and players for immediate need... start trading our #1 picks if we have to to fine tune our lineup, etc etc... cause our lineup is SO young and our core is signed for YEARS. We'll be set for AWHILE.

3 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Be fair Kakko played with men too. 

Well Nemec is on the good side of that...

Like i just said in another post... sometimes prospects are assumed to be better than they are because they play against men... The assumption is that if he played in his age group he would produce more... but that's an assumption.... BUT when a kid scores big time... as a Dmen against men... This is obviously good news

That was my one worry with Slafkovsky... he didnt produce much in his men league... so we had to make "excuses" for him. Then he did good in tournaments... 

Nemec was solid all year long and had more points than Slaf... as a dman.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Well Nemec is on the good side of that...

Like i just said in another post... sometimes prospects are assumed to be better than they are because they play against men... The assumption is that if he played in his age group he would produce more... but that's an assumption.... BUT when a kid scores big time... as a Dmen against men... This is obviously good news

Again, it's a matter of talent not kid playing against men and Tipas Extraliga isn't considered an elite league. They're ranking has slipped in the past couple years

2 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

These men being older isn't my point. It's the talent level

You keep harping on that. Ty Smith absolutely tore the WHL apart, and that league is considered very good. Look at him right now…

You just never know with these kids. That’s why it’s silly to get too worked up either way until you actually see them take the next step. 

Just now, CarpathianForest said:

Again, it's a matter of talent not kid playing against men and Tipas Extraliga isn't considered an elite league. They're ranking has slipped in the past couple years

Well i know and if you dig through my posts. Again, that was my worry about Slaf... he didnt do well and the whole "playing against men" can be misleading. The Olympics were also not the same level we usually see. I mentioned that many many times.

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

You keep harping on that. Ty Smith absolutely tore the WHL apart, and that league is considered very good. Look at him right now…

You just never know with these kids. That’s why it’s silly to get too worked up either way until you actually see them take the next step. 

If I'm wrong, like I said, I will donate 100 bucks to this site. All I'm saying is this kid is not going to be the elite D man everyone is expecting. He will probably make the NHL but he'll be maybe middle of the pack, nothing special. Definitely not elite and not a top pairing guy on any team outside of the Devils 

Just now, CarpathianForest said:

If I'm wrong, like I said, I will donate 100 bucks to this site. All I'm saying is this kid is not going to be the elite D man everyone is expecting. He will probably make the NHL but he'll be maybe middle of the pack, nothing special. Definitely not elite and not a top pairing guy on any team outside of the Devils 

based on what are you saying this though?

Karlsson was drafted 15th overall... Adam Fox was a 3rd round pick... etc etc they were also not "projected" to be elite either.

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

This was my point about Kakko and playing against men. Saying this kid is going to be great is wishful thinking, saying he's going to be a bust is based on nothing. It's a total crap shoot. Only time will tell and until then it's on the same level as politics, nobody is going to change their position regardless of what the other side presents. 

Best to grab some 🍿 and see what happens. Question is how much 🍿 will it take? 

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

it's based on nothing other than negativity. It can't be. Professional scouts say he's a future surefire NHLer with a chance to be a star. Analytics nerds think he's got better than a 50% chance at being a superstar in the league. Every draft outlet you can find has him top-6 or 7, most have him top-5, and ALL have him one of the 2-best defenseman in the draft, easily. 

Again. I find Carp to be hilarious and I know a lot of times he's just baiting and goofing off. But, if he's serious here and he's using his 45 minutes of research on a defenseman that he didn't even know was Nemec and not Jiricek when he was drafted and holding that opinion higher than the people who get paid to rank these kids, he's out of left field on this. 

From what my 45 minutes tells.me is that this guy doesn't look like anything fancy.

In addition, we had other players on the board that have started next season. I have my concerns that our elite players on our current roster are having their best years wasted by a GM who is more interested in continually telling us that our team is going to be good some time in the future. While I would consider it a definite improvement to see this team do something other than sink to the floor again this season I don't think drafting this guy helps that much.

This pick shows that Fitz doesn't care about the here and now. We're getting Ruff again, probably two more lame assistants, maybe Subban and fingers crossed for a better Blackwood. This team just seems to be treading water under him. 

Now I know people are saying "oh you don't know what he tried to trade for with 2OA", but I bet it wasn't much effort. I'm still of the mindset that if it wasn't for his conservative approach to trades he could have landed a good forward or d man. Not saying I know who, but he had better options.

Edited by CarpathianForest

4 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

From what my 45 minutes tells.me is that this guy doesn't look like anything fancy.

In addition, we had other players on the board that have started next season. I have my concerns that our elite players on our current roster are having their best years wasted by a GM who is more interested in continually telling us that our team is going to be good some time in the future. While I would consider it a definite improvement to see this team do something other than sink to the floor again this season I don't think drafting this guy helps that much.

That’s pretty much where I am, as well.  He looks to be a good prospect. Worth 2OA? I have my doubts. But regardless, I would’ve loved to get a player that can contribute at the NHL level on a quicker timeline. The depth chart and being a defenseman means this kid is likely a ways away.

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

That’s pretty much where I am, as well.  He looks to be a good prospect. Worth 2OA? I have my doubts. But regardless, I would’ve loved to get a player that can contribute at the NHL level on a quicker timeline. The depth chart and being a defenseman means this kid is likely a ways away.

I’m confused about the depth chart thing. Who is ahead of him on the right side outside of the NHL? I can only think of Walsh, and for all we know Nemec could outplay him in camp. Our RD is our weakest position outside of goaltending, depending what you think of Blackwood and Daws.