• Draft Slafkovsky
    • Draft Nemec
    • Draft Jiricek
    • Trade down
    • Trade for immediate help
    • Draft Cooley
    • Other

10 minutes ago, devlman said:

There’s a common theme of ‘Oh, but he trieddddd you guys!’  Results matter. If you try and fail all of the time then let’s get a GM who has a success rate above 0%. 

You know what also matters? Context. 

• Like 1

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

How can you bring up something like context at a time like this?!

Yeah, silly me right, maybe next time Fitz can use a gun to get Treliving to change his mind on trading a player he obviously has no desire to trade 🤣

Edited by MadDog2020

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Of course. But it’s weighted less and less the more you strikeout.

You aren’t wrong- but in the case of Tkachuk, it takes two to tango. Calgary isn't looking to deal him (yet). Hopefully when/if they are, Fitz gets it done. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

If I'm wrong, like I said, I will donate 100 bucks to this site. All I'm saying is this kid is not going to be the elite D man everyone is expecting. He will probably make the NHL but he'll be maybe middle of the pack, nothing special. Definitely not elite and not a top pairing guy on any team outside of the Devils 

Sounds like you knew NOTHING about this player... then you watched the same feed we all watched as he got drafted. And you heard the same thing we all heard.

"This is an elite pick guys. I mean we're talking about a top 2 NHL defender on the horizon"

"Might be close to NHL ready right now" / "Absolutely agree, he is not that far from playing in the NHL"

Yet... you come out and say he's DEFINITELY not elite and not a top pairing guy.

Now we all know prospects can go any way and he might reach that potential or not. But this is what's been said about him. So why are you CHOOSING to be pessimistic about it and literally claim the OPPOSITE of what they said on the show? Why? Honest question. WHY?

Also please set specific measurable requirement that he needs to reach in order for you to donate 100 bucks. This need to be documented and clear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

All I'm saying is this kid is not going to be the elite D man everyone is expecting. He will probably make the NHL but he'll be maybe middle of the pack, nothing special. Definitely not elite and not a top pairing guy on any team outside of the Devils 

It’s absolutely absurd to make this claim before he plays even a second in the NHL. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Sounds like you knew NOTHING about this player... then you watched the same feed we all watched as he got drafted. And you heard the same thing we all heard.

"This is an elite pick guys. I mean we're talking about a top 2 NHL defender on the horizon"

"Might be close to NHL ready right now" / "Absolutely agree, he is not that far from playing in the NHL"

Yet... you come out and say he's DEFINITELY not elite and not a top pairing guy.

Now we all know prospects can go any way and he might reach that potential or not. But this is what's been said about him. So why are you CHOOSING to be pessimistic about it and literally claim the OPPOSITE of what they said on the show? Why? Honest question. WHY?

Also please set specific measurable requirement that he needs to reach in order for you to donate 100 bucks. This need to be documented and clear.

The consensus is that this guy will be a top pairing defenseman in the NHL and is NHL ready and will be a difference maker; He’s going to be an exceptional talent.

My claim is his skill will translate to fairly average with his ceiling being a second pairing. Think like an Alex Goligoski. He's good but nothing to write home about. In addition he doesn't become a steady player on the roster for a couple seasons.

That clear or you just gonna continue to bad mouth me?

8 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

I could say the same about the folks claiming he will be a top pairing guy

But that’s what he’s projected to be by the experts. There’s a basis for it. Choosing to predict he’ll be some nothing special average NHL scrub is just being negative for the sake of it. 

• Like 2

You're all wasting your breath here. Fans, TV pundits, NHL team scouts-- they're all right and wrong all the time. There is no crystal ball. No one knows. Some people look at the video and say elite and other people look at the same video and say David Hale. Y'all disagree, let it gooooo.

K, I'm done. :headlesschicken:

1 hour ago, CarpathianForest said:

The consensus is that this guy will be a top pairing defenseman in the NHL and is NHL ready and will be a difference maker; He’s going to be an exceptional talent.

My claim is his skill will translate to fairly average with his ceiling being a second pairing. Think like an Alex Goligoski. He's good but nothing to write home about. In addition he doesn't become a steady player on the roster for a couple seasons.

That clear or you just gonna continue to bad mouth me?

It doesnt answer my question.

Why are you choosing to be negative. And based on what are you claiming this when we all heard the opposite when he got drafted. Why are you choosing to believe something else?

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

It doesnt answer my question.

Why are you choosing to be negative. And based on what are you claiming this when we all heard the opposite when he got drafted. Why are you choosing to believe something else?

Because this is how dude is. He’s always negative about pretty much everything regarding the Devils. Hence the term I used yesterday, ‘chronic malcontent’. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah, silly me right, maybe next time Fitz can use a gun to get Treliving to change his mind on trading a player he obviously has no desire to trade 🤣

Using a gun to get what you want would be the most USA vs. Canada thing ever. 

• Haha 1

Now that I have had a good night's sleep to digest this, I will say this about the pick last night.

Nemec isn't a bad player.  However, I still don't like the pick.  I would love to be 100% wrong about this and in 5 years he becomes a stud D-man I will have zero problems sh!tting in my hand.  However, I just don't have confidence in this pick at all.

I still don't believe Nemec will end up being better than DeBrincat long-term.  No doubt I will always make this comparison.  According to Cordell, Tom was trying to swing a trade for the 2OA for Tkachuk but Calgary wasn't having it.  This concerns me that this appears to be a pattern with Tom where he seems to have a plan and the second it goes even slightly off the rails he seems to end up holding his d&^% in his hand.  Happened when Rangers made the trade to get Schneider and it happened again here.

So where does this leave us at?  Well right now it seems the plan going into this off-season is:

1) Signing a UFA like Gaudreau which is no guarantees and holds its own risks on signing a 29-year old to a long-term deal.

2) Hoping and praying that the kids progress under the same HC and assistants that Tom said he will pick again (this is the same GM who hired Recchi)

3) Hoping and praying injuries don't take its toll, especially in goalie and even with Vanacek in the fold.

4) Hoping Blackwood gets back to at least partially his old form.

There are more items but those are the big ones.  That's still a lot of dominos that has to fall in the right direction to be successful to make up almost 40 points in the standings to even just make the playoffs.  I wish Tom was better at making decisions on the fly (seems he struggles with this) and hedging his bets a little.  This approach is more likely to lead to disaster than sustained success.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I still don't believe Nemec will end up being better than DeBrincat long-term. 

But the comparison makes the assumption that we would have DeBrincat long term. If he signed a bridge deal for a year and then left at the following trade deadline or in UFA, giving up a 2OA wold have been a horrible mismanagement of assets. 

Maybe they didn’t like what they heard from DeBrincat’s camp about the possibility of signing him to an extension, etc. Who knows. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

But the comparison makes the assumption that we would have DeBrincat long term. If he signed a bridge deal for a year and then left at the following trade deadline or in UFA, giving up a 2OA wold have been a horrible mismanagement of assets. 

Maybe they didn’t like what they heard from DeBrincat’s camp about the possibility of signing him to an extension, etc. Who knows. 

It's absolutely a risk willing to take.  The risk of DeBrincat walking vs the risk of Nemec not working out is at worse the same.