• Draft Slafkovsky
    • Draft Nemec
    • Draft Jiricek
    • Trade down
    • Trade for immediate help
    • Draft Cooley
    • Other

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It's absolutely a risk willing to take.  The risk of DeBrincat walking vs the risk of Nemec not working out is at worse the same.

I’m not sure I agree with that. I’d rather take my 2OA pick and hope for the best, based on our track record of retaining guys like this. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It's absolutely a risk willing to take.  The risk of DeBrincat walking vs the risk of Nemec not working out is at worse the same.

Not necessarily. You risk losing Debrincat in a year or 2. If Nemec works out, you have control of him for nearly a decade. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Not necessarily. You risk losing Debrincat in a year or 2. If Nemec works out, you have control of him for nearly a decade. 

That's why I think it's at best an even gamble.  You don't know if Nemec will work out or be nearly as good as DeBrincat.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

That's why I think it's at best an even gamble.  You don't know if Nemec will work out or be nearly as good as DeBrincat.

We don’t know if Debrincat would have signed an extension with us. 

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

We also don’t know if Chicago wanted what we offered. Ottawa gave up and 1st and 2nd this year and a future 3rd

I think the theory is we could have made the same offer, but our picks were higher. 

The Ottawa Sun reporter said there was a deal on the table for Tkachuk that involved the #2OA but Calgary is committed to re-signing him at this stage. I wonder if that stays the case for both him and Bratt if we do a swap. The only reason I could see Tkachuk not wanting to sign is if Gaudreau is gone though and if that is the case Calgary probably changes their trajectory quite a bit.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think the theory is we could have made the same offer, but our picks were higher. 

It’s possible, but Fitz has now used the 2nd in the Vanecek trade. We don’t know if that was a trade he was already working on during the Debrincat process. There’s a lot of moving parts that makes me think Fitz wasn’t interested in moving both his first and second rounders

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Could be total BS, but if this is true it's pretty god damn frustrating.

Just proves further that the bar for being an NHL GM is really, really low.

I am not trying to be one of those people that looks at something like this and just claims it is flat out BS, anything is possible, but I have to believe that the management team didn't go into the draft with absolutely no plan other than Slaf was the guy.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Come on, that's just stupid and not believable at all. 

19 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

From the same GM who panicked when Rangers took Schneider and didn't know Hammond was injured, I believe this 100%.

Failure Fitz seems to have a lot of trouble when things don't go 100% according to plan and often looks rattled/unprepared when they do.

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

We don’t know if Debrincat would have signed an extension with us. 

He's an RFA lol.

23 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I am not trying to be one of those people that looks at something like this and just claims it is flat out BS, anything is possible, but I have to believe that the management team didn't go into the draft with absolutely no plan other than Slaf was the guy.

I don’t think Fitz is the most prepared person, (he bungled the goalies last year, often seems flustered when challenged in interviews) but the idea that they had zero idea that Slaf might go first and had no plan otherwise is a little ridiculous. Every scouting department has a list. If they were panicked they would have taken Wright  

From what we’ve heard they were trying to move the pick for something like Tkachuk but there wasn’t much going on with that.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I agree it sounds made up / bad intel, because it would be almost inexcusable and.. unimaginable.

But is it really that far-fetched with Fitz?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That means nothing. He doesn’t have to sign anything more than a year if he wants it hit UFA

Exactly. We trade 2nd OA for him then he signs a 1 year extension and then walks. Same thing can happen to Ottawa.

If we had the 7th OA pick I might consider trading it for 2 years of Debrincat and try to get him to sign long term. But not the 2nd OA. It’s too high of a pick. Too big of a gamble.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Exactly. We trade 2nd OA for him then he signs a 1 year extension and then walks. Same thing can happen to Ottawa.

If we had the 7th OA pick I might consider trading it for 2 years of Debrincat and try to get him to sign long term. But not the 2nd OA. It’s too high of a pick. Too big of a gamble.

If we didn’t win the lottery and stayed at 5 (I think it was) I would definitely have considered taking that risk. And again, Ottawa included their second. If we did that, our first pick wouldn’t have been until 70 this year. 

We ended up with a possible NHL top 2 pairing defenseman, traded the 2nd rd pick for a solid goalie to join a 1a/1B tandem, and then took a decent RHD in the 2nd with the Wash pick. 

Between wanting Slaf and Tkachuk it’s pretty clear we are looking for size on the wings this year. 

• Like 1

I believe there were a lot of crazy pessimistic anal_ysis.

It`s ok. Cryers gonna cry.

Very good draft. Best one in Fitz era. A lot of guys with good floor. Guys with pretty translatable skills to the NHL. Our defensive depth chart now is on the great level. Players with good two way game, with great offensive potential, solid defensive defensemen on the both sides.
Most fun part when there were some guys who talk about Hischier Makar situation for years, and now when we did draft Nemec with hughe upside, best RD prospect after Seider. Defensemen are money, especially defensemen with good skating, puckhandling and playmaking and good size.

Casey is a prospect with pretty good skills. I`m not the fan of that kind of players, but at least he is good enough skater, much better than Smith and Butcher. 

Brennan is a great pick. Best NA goalie on the draft. Good athletism, size, reaction. I`m not a goalie man, but it`s a good, important pick.

How can we end the draft without LD? Orlov is very mobile defensive defenseman who can help with transition, his puckhandling and hands overall can help him in different situation. Great combination of tools and size. Very translatable  skill pack.

Leddy is defensive defenseman  for the third pair. I prefer different players in the moment, but I understand why he was picked. Good floor, good safe game. At least he has good enough floor to be good AHL defenseman who can be called uo to replace injury player and not be dump and non-competent to ruin everything.

I don`t know who the Hauser is. At least he is big. I don`t like the pick. I believe it`s the same scout who drafted exotic players for devils. Baumgartner, Hurtig and now Hauser. This is the same kind of pick.

Filmon has a great all around game, has great physical potential, he is big and very good skater. I believe it could be a steal for where he was drafted. 

Barabosha is awesome pick. Guy is fast, guy is very agressive, he can prevent everything you will ask, he can help in transition game. Very translatable skill. Russian scout made another awesome pick in the end of the draft. It`s an awsome pick. It`s a type of player you want to see in pair with Luke Hughes. Because he is fast enough to safe the pace of the game and can help to clean the room. And we have another guy of the same type in Okhotiyuk, who can be a very good partner for Nemec. It`s a great combo of defensive and offensive skills on defensive side of the squad. Guy have visible NHL potential. One of the best picks in later rounds in this year. 

Fitz did make great job on the draft to find potential NHL talent with good floor, drafted guys like Nemec, Casey and Filmon with high ceiling(someone with very good floor like Nemec, someone of course more risky like Casey). And Fitz adressed needs in the same time. That was awesome, now our defensive prospect pool is a train. And Brennan pick was awesome, guy have one of the best goalie upside on the draft. Could be great pick if things will go gerat.

I dont like Hauser pick. We could draft Mayorov - the guy with the great stats, game, very mobile and with good size. But we dont have goalie scout in Russia as I understand. I`m not a fan of Casey, but Guy is mobile and smart, with good hands and has nhl potential. Because he works good with gap control and zone patrol. I believe in his IQ and if he will add in some aspects of the game like his speed, it would help him a lot.  Univercity of Michigan will help. But I`m the man who wants something more and I like how Carolina without first round picks did draft two players with first round talent. 

I`m a fan of Barabosha pick, guy have much better floor than some first later rounders and a most part of second and third rounders. It`s a gerat pick. I like Filmon, guy was top 75 or something like that in Mckenzie list, he has a lot of tools and when he will add more weight, it could make his game even more interesting. And Brennan pick. 

Now we have great set of LD, RD, wingers and I believe Marek, Daws, Scmidt and Brennan is a good pack of G. Next year we should focus on centers, and its smart, because next year we will have a lot of good center through the draft. This draft was a great draft to pick right handed defenseman of different level of talent in the different moment of draft. With different ceilings and floors. There were a lot of RD`s with good floor. And Fitz used the situation pretty well. 

I don`t believe in stories about trading back.  Arizona got their guy, they didn`t need to trading back, Seattle could got their guy in this situation, Nemec was their guy, but without Nemec who can say NO to the Shane Wright. We cant trade with Phillies. And like Fitz said - many players with the same upside. If Nemec is our guy - he is our guy. We would not draft him with 5th pick.

Good job overall. I would say B+. If Breannan will hit his ceiling, it will be A+ draft for the devils organisation.  Hope they will fire one euro scout. I dont like his job at all. 

And thanks God we passed Debrinkat. His price was freakin Korchinsky. I would be happy with Tkachuk, but like everybody know, Fitz was procative, but Calgary plans are different. Draft was very fun. I`m happy that Devils did draft a lot of right defensemen, that they drafted Brennan and one of my personal guy Barabosha, whom I ranked much higher. 
That was very fun, because I had Wright as number 4 on my personal list, I had Gauthier in top-5 as a pick. I was very sad because of Slaf, guy is gold and I did tell a lot about him, mtl made obvious pick. Because you are drafting BPA by number one pick. Wright is awesome pick for seattle, they are very lucky and have two great centers in Beniers and Wright. And it`s a great day for Slovakian hockey, because  two top-2 players were drafted from their country. Its a great draft for Wshington. They did scare of russian factor and cancer story, they believe in their guy with huge upside, who could be the next power goal scorer for them. Chelsey was a great pick in second round. I was a pro Chelsey guy and I`m little bit sad about how it was goin on. But I understand huge need. There could be no goalies on the market, Fitz worked fast and traded at least good back up for the third pick, who is RFA, yound and have more expirience than Husso and Blackwood I believe. 

That was very fun, very entertaning, and if you upset or something like that, it`s your choice. And I dont know, I can't help you. It's not about hockey.

It`d a huge good day for organisation. Fitz did make awesome homework. This is obvious. He used situation pretty well. nice work. Time to make good reasonable sings on the free agent market. And hire Brunnet as assistent coach.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

I believe there were a lot of crazy pessimistic anal_ysis.

It`s ok. Cryers gonna cry.

Very good draft. Best one in Fitz era. A lot of guys with good floor. Guys with pretty translatable skills to the NHL. Our defensive depth chart now is on the great level. Players with good two way game, with great offensive potential, solid defensive defensemen on the both sides.
Most fun part when there were some guys who talk about Hischier Makar situation for years, and now when we did draft Nemec with hughe upside, best RD prospect after Seider. Defensemen are money, especially defensemen with good skating, puckhandling and playmaking and good size.

Casey is a prospect with pretty good skills. I`m not the fan of that kind of players, but at least he is good enough skater, much better than Smith and Butcher. 

Brennan is a great pick. Best NA goalie on the draft. Good athletism, size, reaction. I`m not a goalie man, but it`s a good, important pick.

How can we end the draft without LD? Orlov is very mobile defensive defenseman who can help with transition, his puckhandling and hands overall can help him in different situation. Great combination of tools and size. Very translatable  skill pack.

Leddy is defensive defenseman  for the third pair. I prefer different players in the moment, but I understand why he was picked. Good floor, good safe game. At least he has good enough floor to be good AHL defenseman who can be called uo to replace injury player and not be dump and non-competent to ruin everything.

I don`t know who the Hauser is. At least he is big. I don`t like the pick. I believe it`s the same scout who drafted exotic players for devils. Baumgartner, Hurtig and now Hauser. This is the same kind of pick.

Filmon has a great all around game, has great physical potential, he is big and very good skater. I believe it could be a steal for where he was drafted. 

Barabosha is awesome pick. Guy is fast, guy is very agressive, he can prevent everything you will ask, he can help in transition game. Very translatable skill. Russian scout made another awesome pick in the end of the draft. It`s an awsome pick. It`s a type of player you want to see in pair with Luke Hughes. Because he is fast enough to safe the pace of the game and can help to clean the room. And we have another guy of the same type in Okhotiyuk, who can be a very good partner for Nemec. It`s a great combo of defensive and offensive skills on defensive side of the squad. Guy have visible NHL potential. One of the best picks in later rounds in this year. 

Fitz did make great job on the draft to find potential NHL talent with good floor, drafted guys like Nemec, Casey and Filmon with high ceiling(someone with very good floor like Nemec, someone of course more risky like Casey). And Fitz adressed needs in the same time. That was awesome, now our defensive prospect pool is a train. And Brennan pick was awesome, guy have one of the best goalie upside on the draft. Could be great pick if things will go gerat.

I dont like Hauser pick. We could draft Mayorov - the guy with the great stats, game, very mobile and with good size. But we dont have goalie scout in Russia as I understand. I`m not a fan of Casey, but Guy is mobile and smart, with good hands and has nhl potential. Because he works good with gap control and zone patrol. I believe in his IQ and if he will add in some aspects of the game like his speed, it would help him a lot.  Univercity of Michigan will help. But I`m the man who wants something more and I like how Carolina without first round picks did draft two players with first round talent. 

I`m a fan of Barabosha pick, guy have much better floor than some first later rounders and a most part of second and third rounders. It`s a gerat pick. I like Filmon, guy was top 75 or something like that in Mckenzie list, he has a lot of tools and when he will add more weight, it could make his game even more interesting. And Brennan pick. 

Now we have great set of LD, RD, wingers and I believe Marek, Daws, Scmidt and Brennan is a good pack of G. Next year we should focus on centers, and its smart, because next year we will have a lot of good center through the draft. This draft was a great draft to pick right handed defenseman of different level of talent in the different moment of draft. With different ceilings and floors. There were a lot of RD`s with good floor. And Fitz used the situation pretty well. 

I don`t believe in stories about trading back.  Arizona got their guy, they didn`t need to trading back, Seattle could got their guy in this situation, Nemec was their guy, but without Nemec who can say NO to the Shane Wright. We cant trade with Phillies. And like Fitz said - many players with the same upside. If Nemec is our guy - he is our guy. We would not draft him with 5th pick.

Good job overall. I would say B+. If Breannan will hit his ceiling, it will be A+ draft for the devils organisation.  Hope they will fire one euro scout. I dont like his job at all. 

And thanks God we passed Debrinkat. His price was freakin Korchinsky. I would be happy with Tkachuk, but like everybody know, Fitz was procative, but Calgary plans are different. Draft was very fun. I`m happy that Devils did draft a lot of right defensemen, that they drafted Brennan and one of my personal guy Barabosha, whom I ranked much higher. 
That was very fun, because I had Wright as number 4 on my personal list, I had Gauthier in top-5 as a pick. I was very sad because of Slaf, guy is gold and I did tell a lot about him, mtl made obvious pick. Because you are drafting BPA by number one pick. Wright is awesome pick for seattle, they are very lucky and have two great centers in Beniers and Wright. And it`s a great day for Slovakian hockey, because  two top-2 players were drafted from their country. Its a great draft for Wshington. They did scare of russian factor and cancer story, they believe in their guy with huge upside, who could be the next power goal scorer for them. Chelsey was a great pick in second round. I was a pro Chelsey guy and I`m little bit sad about how it was goin on. But I understand huge need. There could be no goalies on the market, Fitz worked fast and traded at least good back up for the third pick, who is RFA, yound and have more expirience than Husso and Blackwood I believe. 

That was very fun, very entertaning, and if you upset or something like that, it`s your choice. And I dont know, I can't help you. It's not about hockey.

It`d a huge good day for organisation. Fitz did make awesome homework. This is obvious. He used situation pretty well. nice work. Time to make good reasonable sings on the free agent market. And hire Brunnet as assistent coach.

Steve Harvey Familyfeud GIF by ABC Network

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Yeah so the front office fvcked up. They had no backup plan for Slav coming off the board at #1. That's insanely incompetent and some heads should roll

23 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Yeah so the front office fvcked up. They had no backup plan for Slav coming off the board at #1. That's insanely incompetent and some heads should roll

It’s insane to me people actually believe this. Fitz had 2 players in mind with that #2 pick - Slaf and Matthew Tkachuk. The former went 1st, and the latter wasn’t available. So they took the 2nd highest guy on their board. How the hell is that “not having a plan?”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It’s insane to me people actually believe this. Fitz had 2 players in mind with that #2 pick - Slaf and Matthew Tkachuk. The former went 1st, and the latter wasn’t available. So they took the 2nd highest guy on their board. How the hell is that “not having a plan?”

It’s not. We were picking second, and the guy we think they wanted was drafted first. You (not YOU, the collective “you”) think they missed the fact that could happen? They didn’t. 

Edited by mfitz804