• Draft Slafkovsky
    • Draft Nemec
    • Draft Jiricek
    • Trade down
    • Trade for immediate help
    • Draft Cooley
    • Other

16 hours ago, MB3 said:

retrospect he doesn't have a spot on this team, but yeah -- like you said, the Devils needed another top-6 winger and they just came off the first "successful" season in like 7 years. Fans wanted more, and instead we got...

Well, ya know.

It's funny, I wonder if Flyer fans are down on JVR...and if so, if they really have any right to be?  His first three years were EXACTLY what they should have expected to get out of him (actually even a little bit better).  This fourth one was not good, but any player can have a down year, and his team stinks...that can drag down anyone's numbers.  He still managed 24 goals (and played in every game), so it's not like he was way below expectations there.

If he had come here, he likely would've become a whipping boy very quickly...partly because of the money he'd be making, and partly because he was coming off a career-high 36-goal season...the guess here is that would've (unfairly) become the measuring stick for a lot of Devils fans, with some even thinking "Wow, maybe he can put in 40 for us"...and if he managed, say, only 25 goals or so (and 50 points, provided he played in 80+ games), or endured long scoring droughts (as Palms sometimes did, even when he was finishing seasons with the almost same per 82 GP rate for most of his time), there'd be some complaining.  When you're making bigger money (relatively big money at the time JVR signed), expectations can be distorted, often unfairly.  And the guys making the bigger coin are often the ones fans start to pick on, even if they're merely doing what really should've been expected of them all along.

Gomez and Holik with the Rangers are great examples of that.  Gomer's two seasons with the Rangers were completely "normal" Gomez seasons...ditto Holik's, really.  But of course, the Rangers made the age-old of mistake of "Pay good players a fortune, and then ask more of them than they're really capable of providing."  It's hard to feel for guys being paid more over a few years than most will see in a lifetime, but so many of these guys are more or less set up to fail...they're signed to contracts that they have little chance of ever living up to...suddenly their typical production isn't enough (or in the case of coming off a career year, returning to their typical production becomes a problem). 

In ways things evolved perfectly for Taylor Hall...he's in a complementary role with Boston and is being compensated within reason for what he brings.  Imagine him putting up his current numbers for this Devils team, with him making $10 million or so?  People would be losing their sh!t left and right.        

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

This past weekend I was poking around at what the stat nerds were thinking and a lot of them seemed pretty set on Cooley.

After learning that I am now fully on board with the draft Slaf train.

fvck the stat nerds. They’re wrong a lot more than they’re right. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Nobody wants to fvck a stat nerd. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

It's basically the same thing with Mike Francesa.  If you bet against his picks you will more often than not wind up being ahead than behind.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Nobody wants to fvck a stat nerd. 

This is Meghan Chayka who is a data scientist and co-founder of the ice hockey analytics firm Stathletes. 

I move your previous remarks be stricken from the record sir. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

This is Meghan Chayka who is a data scientist and co-founder of the ice hockey analytics firm Stathletes. 

Got ‘em 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

36 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Got ‘em 

Nope, she's probably boring as fvck and/or makes you use a protractor so you are hitting it at the correct angle. Then she's spending the whole time comparing your performance to her Anticipated Orgasm %. 

Pass. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Nope, she's probably boring as fvck and/or makes you use a protractor so you are hitting it at the correct angle. Then she's spending the whole time comparing your performance to her Anticipated Orgasm %. 

Pass. 

Sorry, you said "Nobody" not "I don't" and I think I could find people willing. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Sorry, you said "Nobody" not "I don't" and I think I could find people willing. 

You caught me, I was talking about male stat nerds. Very sexist of me. #Cancelmfitz804

Edited by mfitz804

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Pass. 

The good news is that after I disappoint her, I can just explain that while my zone entry might have seemed weak, it was actually the fault of my line mate as my Expected Enjoyment stayed at a high percentage the whole time, therefore it can be reasoned that what seemed like a poor performance can be chalked up to bad luck. 

On 5/26/2022 at 8:34 AM, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

She looks like she would be a very annoying person.  Pass.

On 5/26/2022 at 3:34 PM, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Foo. Surgery face. Hard pass.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

https://twitter.com/BHolmes_Hockey/status/1529129383914504194 

Draft Eligibles at the #IIHFWorlds

1. P Laine, 2016: 12P in 10GP

2. J Slafkovsky, 2022: 9P in 7GP

3. A Matthews, 2016: 9P in 10GP

4. P Kariya, 1993: 9P in 8GP

5. K Kakko, 2019: 7P in 10GP

6. J Eichel, 2015: 7P in 10GP

7. S Nemec, 2022: 6P in 7GP