Jump to content

What to do with #2?


Jerzey
 Share

What should we do with the pick?  

56 members have voted

  1. 1. What should we do with the pick?

    • Draft Slafkovsky
    • Draft Nemec
    • Draft Jiricek
    • Trade down
    • Trade for immediate help
    • Draft Cooley
    • Other


Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

If Slafkovsky is 6'4" 229 lbs at the combine, where is he going to be when he physically matures?  you can't think this is it for him.  What if he gets to 6'5" 245 lbs?      He would be a unicorn....

It`s a great thing to think about, when everybody try to think about "he is big euro dude, zacha and kakko blah blah blah". We should cut the size and think where he could be drafted if he haven`t his size, if he would be avarage sized player. With his skating, playmaking, driving and hockey iq he would be in the 20th of the first round. Cooley without his skating would be 2nd-3rd round guy. Wright without his shot... hard question. I believe it could be a huge drop, but he has good tools. But it definetely not a top-10 pick. Simon Nemec... playmaking? I`m not so well about his defensive game, he at least very non pro active in defensive and I don`t like it at all. His playmaking is awesome, but without it - he isn`t a first\second rounder. Jiricek without his phisicality - late first\2nd round because of his proactive game and great shoot, something like Chelsey, but Ryan has much better skating. Nazar... I don`t know what is his best tool, he is great all around player, he manage opposing defensmen better than any player on the draft. But without it he is still very proactive guy who would be drafted in the first round. Gauthier without his shot is a late first rounder, without his phisicality... interesting question, he is very good shooter, but not so well playdriver - border line of the first\2nd round. Savoie would drop a lot without his offensive vision, Kasper without his two way game\compete level is just a dude for the late 2nd or even 3rd or later rounds. 

 

Slafkovsky looks big but he doesnt look like a mature man like many north american young athlets. He looks like a big young teenager.  He has room for being stronger. And he develop his skating well through the year. Now he is very good skater. If he will continue to work on his shot and his skating more, he would be a monster. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2022 at 11:47 AM, WaffleFries said:

I'm not really sure I fully understand the hate behind the 1 for 1 for Fiala or DeBrincat. From a value perspective you are getting an ~80 point scoring winger for a prospect who might become an 80 point scoring winger in a few years. Is that not good value for the pick? I understand with Fiala that Minny is in a cap pickle so we should be able to give up less in order to make that work but from a strict value for value perspective is it actually that bad of a trade? Is it a player size thing where people are thinking we have too many small players and not enough big guys?

I don’t hate either player, but the Devils need to think long term, as well as, the short term. They already have 3 player signed long term at 7.5-8.5 mill and that does not include Bratt’s contract.  I would rather Fitz go through free agency or trade for a goalie and a veteran winger.  The only way to avoid cap issues in the future is with a steady pipeline of players on ELC’s and RFAs.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

 

“You have the pieces to make a deal work, so why not give it a try?” asked Lapierre. “You offer any player the Devils want outside of Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield and Alexander Romanov to get the 2nd overall pick.”

Translation: You offer the Devils any player except the ones they could potentially want to get the 2nd overall pick"

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

would you trade 2OA for cole caufield? elite sniper with tons of pedigree and jack hughes’ best friend?

I might simply so that the MTL fans and media stop talking about him like he's the 2nd coming of jesus. I was already sick of hearing about him constantly and he didn't even play a minute in the NHL yet at that time

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

I might simply so that the MTL fans and media stop talking about him like he's the 2nd coming of jesus. I was already sick of hearing about him constantly and he didn't even play a minute in the NHL yet at that time

He can't be Jesus, he's too short. Could crucify that mfer on two popsicle sticks. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

someone should tell tampa that their 6 players making over 6.75m is really hurting their chances of winning a cup. 

Bad example for you. Tampa did make a building through the drafts and didn't sign one term deals with older players, didn't trade good assets before starting to contend. They did a great job with having good players in their prime years on big deals.

But it is a great example for the Devils organisation to act. 

 

And no, we should not trade 2nd oa for cofield. I like him but he isn't proven. 2nd pick is the giant asset. You can trade Holtz+ for Cofield, but if you trade 2nd OA pick, you should get young, very talented, proven player who fits well. Cofield is very close  but I saw enough of his bad games. I think he has huge potential, but price is the price. I saw games of Slafkovsky too. I would trade any players outside of Hughes/Hischier for him. But I don't need too. And Fitz don't need. Because he will draft him. And get player with star potential for free. And this star fits... nicely at least.

I like your hockey manager enthusiasm, but we could talk about Marchment, Nichushkin, Kadri, etc more. They are more realistic. 

Interesting things going on in Boston btw. If they will deal Pasta, it would be a huge sign of rebuild. I would sign third line center from the market and deal Blackwood, Smith, Boqvist and Foote/Thompson/Zetterlund for Ullmark. Blackwood is cheaper and could be normal backup for Swayman, if they trust him and ready to start some rebuild. They got G, D, C and W. Thats a lot, but Ullmark is proven, young enough(28 yo) and has 3 year deal. Boston will got prospects he wants. But I believe they will ask Holtz at least  and im not ready for trading him for uncontroled aged players. I would deal him for Pasta(with sign), Cofield(why not), Tkachuk(it will never gonna happened), Demko, Ottienger and may be Knight(why not). But all of this trades will not gonna happened, because they don't want to overpay  we don't want to overpay.

Rebuilding teams shouldn't overpay anytime  that was allways bad trades, funny bad. On the other hands teams with limited good assets don't want to sell them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

don’t think it’s likely at all. but if montreal is trying to get 1 and 2, if i’m the devils I don’t listen if his name is off the table.

That’s right. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, MB3 said:

don’t trade for caufield because he isn’t proven, instead use it on an 18 year old because THAT is a proven guy.

Yap. I will use shorter constructions next time for you. Zegras or Raymond, Seider deserve to be trade for 2nd pick. Cofield not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, MB3 said:

i can name ridiculous players that would never be traded for 2OA as well. mcdavid, draisaitl, rantannen, mackkinnon, point, makar. 

this is fun and definitely not nonsensical.

Cofield, Fiala, Knight etc. This list can work in other way.

would be fun to read forum again, when there was Boser discussion. May be we should trade 2nd for Boser still? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Guadana said:

I like your hockey manager enthusiasm, but we could talk about Marchment, Nichushkin, Kadri, etc more. They are more realistic. 

And exactly what we are lacking, too. We need to get harder to play against. Nichushkin in particular would be a great pickup. 

Edited by Nicomo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

And exactly what we are lacking, too. We need to get harder to play against. Nichushkin in particular would be a great pickup. 

As I remember there were some relationship problems between him and Ruff. And I believe he will get overpayment for his breakout year. But if it will be 4 year deal, I'm not against, he is very good defensive forward.  Like Marchment, who I think isn't well skater, but he finds way to compete. And if he doesn't ask more than 3-4 years, I don't see why we can't give him some time in the middle six role.  Even if he is only 30-35 points player. He should ask something like 3-4 mil, Nichuschkin could ask 5/6/6.5 mil. Its too much, but he is young enough to give him this type of a deal. 6-6.5 for four years or 5-5.5 for 5 years. I prefer 4 years.

Edited by Guadana
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Guadana said:

Bad example for you. Tampa did make a building through the drafts and didn't sign one term deals with older players, didn't trade good assets before starting to contend. They did a great job with having good players in their prime years on big deals.

But it is a great example for the Devils organisation to act. 

 

And no, we should not trade 2nd oa for cofield. I like him but he isn't proven. 2nd pick is the giant asset. You can trade Holtz+ for Cofield, but if you trade 2nd OA pick, you should get young, very talented, proven player who fits well. Cofield is very close  but I saw enough of his bad games. I think he has huge potential, but price is the price. I saw games of Slafkovsky too. I would trade any players outside of Hughes/Hischier for him. But I don't need too. And Fitz don't need. Because he will draft him. And get player with star potential for free. And this star fits... nicely at least.

I like your hockey manager enthusiasm, but we could talk about Marchment, Nichushkin, Kadri, etc more. They are more realistic. 

Interesting things going on in Boston btw. If they will deal Pasta, it would be a huge sign of rebuild. I would sign third line center from the market and deal Blackwood, Smith, Boqvist and Foote/Thompson/Zetterlund for Ullmark. Blackwood is cheaper and could be normal backup for Swayman, if they trust him and ready to start some rebuild. They got G, D, C and W. Thats a lot, but Ullmark is proven, young enough(28 yo) and has 3 year deal. Boston will got prospects he wants. But I believe they will ask Holtz at least  and im not ready for trading him for uncontroled aged players. I would deal him for Pasta(with sign), Cofield(why not), Tkachuk(it will never gonna happened), Demko, Ottienger and may be Knight(why not). But all of this trades will not gonna happened, because they don't want to overpay  we don't want to overpay.

Rebuilding teams shouldn't overpay anytime  that was allways bad trades, funny bad. On the other hands teams with limited good assets don't want to sell them.

Random thoughts-I like Nichushkin, E. Kane, Kadri, & Marchment.  (we need size/speed) no to Debricat.  No to Gaudreau, (let Philly have him) Why does everyone want to throw in the towel on Holtz? He's been here 1 season & did OK in AHL. He has tools.  Fitz will not overpay (and shouldn't).  Dougie was our big ticket item this year. I'd like Swayman. Nervous about Husso. Spencer Knight =unproven- & on a decent team.  Let's just see what happens.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Random thoughts-I like Nichushkin, E. Kane, Kadri, & Marchment.  (we need size/speed) no to Debricat.  No to Gaudreau, (let Philly have him) Why does everyone want to throw in the towel on Holtz? He's been here 1 season & did OK in AHL. He has tools.  Fitz will not overpay (and shouldn't).  Dougie was our big ticket item this year. I'd like Swayman. Nervous about Husso. Spencer Knight =unproven- & on a decent team.  Let's just see what happens.

I haven't heard anything about Swayman being available, but that's another name I would definitely consider. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Random thoughts-I like Nichushkin, E. Kane, Kadri, & Marchment.  (we need size/speed) no to Debricat.  No to Gaudreau, (let Philly have him) Why does everyone want to throw in the towel on Holtz? He's been here 1 season & did OK in AHL. He has tools.  Fitz will not overpay (and shouldn't).  Dougie was our big ticket item this year. I'd like Swayman. Nervous about Husso. Spencer Knight =unproven- & on a decent team.  Let's just see what happens.

Holtz wasn't OK. He was great for his age. Up high of expectations. Anyway he should work on his skating, upside is there. 

I don't believe Boston will trade Swayman. May be some boston crazy fans are trying to deal him, like some others did with 2oa or Holtz himself, but Boston very high on their  young goalie. Thats always what is never gonna happened, because when you have really good prospect, who did make right steps, you prefer to gamble on his maximum potential, or you can trade him, and everybody will laugh on you about it after, like it was in Erat case. And every team is higher about their own prospects, because they did draft them and develope them, and they know how much this prospect can mean for them. Swayman is a young stud goalie, who is playing on controlling contract. And Goalies are money, like we can see. And they are very hard to evaluate. And they have a boy, who is working well in their system.

I like Knight and I believe Florida is very high on him. Every word I did say about Swayman is working with Knight for Florida. I belive he cost more than 2nd oa pick for them, but he cost less for us. Because he is unproven in this moment. And goalies are goalies. Today they are great and bring you a cup, tommorow they are eating your money in cap hit and nothing more. We have a lot of examples. And changing the organisation influence them badly sometimes. Anyway price is the thing that exist in the moment. Tommorow Knight could be a vezina goaltender, or Slafkovsky could turn into the Rantanen 2.0, we don't know.

 

I'm a biggest fan of E. Kane. To never play on this team. I don't wanna see a douche in the locker room, full of kids. It could make biiig damage to the collective.

 

And I agree devils need some good complimentary two way or/and physical players to help with cycling, pressure and interior play. Gaudreau can eat every cent Philly wants to spend on him. Guy needs to have right players around him, we don't have them in top-6.

 

But. The thing I want doesn't mean the thing that never happened. I belive with new deal of Jack and Dougie Contract, with new deal of Bratt, Fitz is under pressure, and I wait some big sign/trade(not wanting) from him.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 8:37 AM, MB3 said:

someone should tell tampa that their 6 players making over 6.75m is really hurting their chances of winning a cup. 

That is a simplistic view.  Everyone at 6.75 and above  is a star that includes a goalie.  They also have depth players like Maroon for 1m.  The Devils already have 3 players above 6.75m.  I would rather they keep their 2OA and sign Bratt for 7 years 7m, that would make 4 players above 6.75m.  They have Holtz coming up and if he pans out, that’s another 7+m contract.  Not too mention Severson, Graves, Siegs and Sharangovich will need contracts next year.  They can wait another year when prospects like Luke, Bahl, Okhutyuk, Foote, Zetterlund and Thompson, that could make current roster players expendable for trades.  Right now they need solid veterans that are winners and a goalie.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Guadana said:

Holtz wasn't OK. He was great for his age.

And I agree devils need some good complimentary two way or/and physical players to help with cycling, pressure and interior play. Gaudreau can eat every cent Philly wants to spend on him. Guy needs to have right players around him, we don't have them in top-6.

I just want to expand on a couple of points you made.  Holtz will be a top 4 winger in 2023-24 and that is good enough for me.

 

Devils do not need Gaudreau.  They actually need a Maroon or Boyle type player to bring a strong veteran presence among the forward group.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.