Jump to content

What to do with #2?


Jerzey
 Share

What should we do with the pick?  

56 members have voted

  1. 1. What should we do with the pick?

    • Draft Slafkovsky
    • Draft Nemec
    • Draft Jiricek
    • Trade down
    • Trade for immediate help
    • Draft Cooley
    • Other


Recommended Posts

I'm not really sure I fully understand the hate behind the 1 for 1 for Fiala or DeBrincat. From a value perspective you are getting an ~80 point scoring winger for a prospect who might become an 80 point scoring winger in a few years. Is that not good value for the pick? I understand with Fiala that Minny is in a cap pickle so we should be able to give up less in order to make that work but from a strict value for value perspective is it actually that bad of a trade? Is it a player size thing where people are thinking we have too many small players and not enough big guys?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, WaffleFries said:

I'm not really sure I fully understand the hate behind the 1 for 1 for Fiala or DeBrincat. From a value perspective you are getting an ~80 point scoring winger for a prospect who might become an 80 point scoring winger in a few years. Is that not good value for the pick? I understand with Fiala that Minny is in a cap pickle so we should be able to give up less in order to make that work but from a strict value for value perspective is it actually that bad of a trade? Is it a player size thing where people are thinking we have too many small players and not enough big guys?

I guess for me, the fact that both guys are in need of extensions and likely to get big paydays (figure at least 8M+ AAV) is a turnoff.

Whereas the player picked 2OA will be under team control for the foreseeable future at a much more manageable cap hit.  Not that we're in a cap crunch yet, necessarily, but it wouldn't take much to get there if you look at the holes we still need to fill.

Also, FWIW, I'm not crazy about adding another undersized forward to this already tiny forward corps.  Maybe I'm just being old fashioned, but I still think some size is important in the playoffs.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I guess for me, the fact that both guys are in need of extensions and likely to get big paydays (figure at least 8M+ AAV) is a turnoff.

Whereas the player picked 2OA will be under team control for the foreseeable future at a much more manageable cap hit.  Not that we're in a cap crunch yet, necessarily, but it wouldn't take much to get there if you look at the holes we still need to fill.

Also, FWIW, I'm not crazy about adding another undersized forward to this already tiny forward corps.  Maybe I'm just being old fashioned, but I still think some size is important in the playoffs.

Yeah but you're also NOT getting that 70-80 pts from the guy you draft... either at all or not until a few seasons... so are you looking for results on the ice or saving money? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I guess for me, the fact that both guys are in need of extensions and likely to get big paydays (figure at least 8M+ AAV) is a turnoff.

Whereas the player picked 2OA will be under team control for the foreseeable future at a much more manageable cap hit.  Not that we're in a cap crunch yet, necessarily, but it wouldn't take much to get there if you look at the holes we still need to fill.

Also, FWIW, I'm not crazy about adding another undersized forward to this already tiny forward corps.  Maybe I'm just being old fashioned, but I still think some size is important in the playoffs.

Look at how Fox and Panarin were especially dominated in games 5 and 6 versus the Lightning. Size definitely matters in the playoffs.  Adding a 5'6" forward in DeBrincat scares me for that reason, plus he's looking for a huge contract. We're not competing in the playoffs for at least another 2 years and we've sucked for the past 10 and been patient, I dont see what the rush is all of a sudden where we're looking to get rid of a lot of solid assets and the 2OA to go "all in" now. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The ultimate acquisition for me this summer: Matthew Tkachuk. That is the guy I would not hesitate to build a package around #2 for. That’s the guy who checks ALL of the boxes: size, scoring, skill, copious amounts of fvck you- THAT is the guy. I just doubt Calgary moves him. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NJD16W said:

Neither Fiala or Debrincat are worth 2nd overall. I wouldn't mind if Holtz was the center piece to acquire one of them though. 

This is kind of how I feel about it as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

The ultimate acquisition for me this summer: Matthew Tkachuk. That is the guy I would not hesitate to build a package around #2 for. That’s the guy who checks ALL of the boxes: size, scoring, skill, copious amounts of fvck you- THAT is the guy. I just doubt Calgary moves him. 

100% behind this, if you can pry him from Calgary for a package involving the 2OA plus reasonable assets I'm in.

He is exactly what this team needs.

1 hour ago, NJD16W said:

Neither Fiala or Debrincat are worth 2nd overall. I wouldn't mind if Holtz was the center piece to acquire one of them though. 

Also can get behind this - in an ideal world Holtz becomes a Fiala or Debrincat so.. sign me up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

not sure how you can say with a straight face that DeBrincat isn’t worth 2OA. 

You might be right about that. He's put up better numbers than one, maybe both, or our 1OA's. I hate to throw Jack in there too because the dude hasn't played enough to put up DeBrincat type numbers. 

Edited by mfitz804
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

not sure how you can say with a straight face that DeBrincat isn’t worth 2OA. 

Right? I’ve jumped hardcore onto the Slaf train at this point, but I’d trade the 2OA for DeBrincat in a heartbeat. I don’t think people realize just how rare the opportunity would be to acquire a 2x 40 goal scorer who’s only 24 years old. 

Pairing him with Jack could be our version of Hughes - Caufield. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Right? I’ve jumped hardcore onto the Slaf train at this point, but I’d trade the 2OA for DeBrincat in a heartbeat. I don’t think people realize just how rare the opportunity would be to acquire a 2x 40 goal scorer who’s only 24 years old. 

Pairing him with Jack could be our version of Hughes - Caufield. 

A RW with a goal scoring skill? Trade for him. As long as we get our goaltending and defense issues put of the way somehow since those are the big apes in the room

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The rumors arent just talking 2OA and that's it, it would need to include the 2OA plus the 2023 or 2024 first rounder and assets (Holtz, Mukhammadullin, Mercer, Bahl) for DeBrincat. 

Chicago got a boatload for Hagel. Fitz will have to give up the farm to get Debrincat. The 2OA is just the starting point. If we're giving up that much I'd hope we can get into the playoffs and that a 5'6" - 5'7" Debrincat doesn't get manhandled the way Gaudreau used to every year. 

 

Edited by slasher72
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

The rumors arent just talking 2OA and that's it, it would need to include the 2OA plus the 2023 or 2024 first rounder and assets (Holtz, Mukhammadullin, Mercer, Bahl) for DeBrincat. 

Chicago got a boatload for Hagel. Fitz will have to give up the farm to get Debrincat. The 2OA is just the starting point. If we're giving up that much I'd hope we can get into the playoffs and that a 5'6" - 5'7" Debrincat doesn't get manhandled the way Gaudreau used to every year. 

 

what rumors? there are no rumors, just fan speculation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, MB3 said:

what rumors? there are no rumors, just fan speculation.

Yep. The only rumor is that Fitz checked in with Chicago on DeBrincat. Nothing has come out of their camp as far as price though. I’ve seen a bunch of Hawks fans online talking about wanting 20A + Holtz, but that doesn’t mean they’ll get it. 

And if Fitz trades next year’s 1st (unprotected) he should be fired immediately. Especially with our lottery luck over the years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

If Slafkovsky is 6'4" 229 lbs at the combine, where is he going to be when he physically matures?  you can't think this is it for him.  What if he gets to 6'5" 245 lbs?      He would be a unicorn....

unicorns aren’t real dude. give it up. they’re mythological made-up creatures, like reindeers. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

If Slafkovsky is 6'4" 229 lbs at the combine, where is he going to be when he physically matures?  you can't think this is it for him.  What if he gets to 6'5" 245 lbs?      He would be a unicorn....

It`s a great thing to think about, when everybody try to think about "he is big euro dude, zacha and kakko blah blah blah". We should cut the size and think where he could be drafted if he haven`t his size, if he would be avarage sized player. With his skating, playmaking, driving and hockey iq he would be in the 20th of the first round. Cooley without his skating would be 2nd-3rd round guy. Wright without his shot... hard question. I believe it could be a huge drop, but he has good tools. But it definetely not a top-10 pick. Simon Nemec... playmaking? I`m not so well about his defensive game, he at least very non pro active in defensive and I don`t like it at all. His playmaking is awesome, but without it - he isn`t a first\second rounder. Jiricek without his phisicality - late first\2nd round because of his proactive game and great shoot, something like Chelsey, but Ryan has much better skating. Nazar... I don`t know what is his best tool, he is great all around player, he manage opposing defensmen better than any player on the draft. But without it he is still very proactive guy who would be drafted in the first round. Gauthier without his shot is a late first rounder, without his phisicality... interesting question, he is very good shooter, but not so well playdriver - border line of the first\2nd round. Savoie would drop a lot without his offensive vision, Kasper without his two way game\compete level is just a dude for the late 2nd or even 3rd or later rounds. 

 

Slafkovsky looks big but he doesnt look like a mature man like many north american young athlets. He looks like a big young teenager.  He has room for being stronger. And he develop his skating well through the year. Now he is very good skater. If he will continue to work on his shot and his skating more, he would be a monster. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2022 at 11:47 AM, WaffleFries said:

I'm not really sure I fully understand the hate behind the 1 for 1 for Fiala or DeBrincat. From a value perspective you are getting an ~80 point scoring winger for a prospect who might become an 80 point scoring winger in a few years. Is that not good value for the pick? I understand with Fiala that Minny is in a cap pickle so we should be able to give up less in order to make that work but from a strict value for value perspective is it actually that bad of a trade? Is it a player size thing where people are thinking we have too many small players and not enough big guys?

I don’t hate either player, but the Devils need to think long term, as well as, the short term. They already have 3 player signed long term at 7.5-8.5 mill and that does not include Bratt’s contract.  I would rather Fitz go through free agency or trade for a goalie and a veteran winger.  The only way to avoid cap issues in the future is with a steady pipeline of players on ELC’s and RFAs.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.