Jump to content

What to do with #2?


Jerzey
 Share

What should we do with the pick?  

56 members have voted

  1. 1. What should we do with the pick?

    • Draft Slafkovsky
    • Draft Nemec
    • Draft Jiricek
    • Trade down
    • Trade for immediate help
    • Draft Cooley
    • Other


Recommended Posts

Worth mentioning that night-in and night-out Nico was played in the most difficult circumstances against the most difficult opponents. The Devils see him as an elite defensive center, and that's how they use him.

If he was getting tons of O-Zone starts and only being told to focus on offense, we'd see dramatically different numbers. (Not to mention how much better his stats would've been without Zacha and Tatar as anchors).

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

so if its D.. then its Nemec. cooley is the best skater out of the offensive bunch.  he would fit our top six nicely .. how will slafs game translate to small ice?

Cooley... meh. He us good but offensive oriented and he is very not interior. Nazar is faster and better manipulator. His 200 foot game is better and he us great as interior forward. Not perimeter skater like Cooley. If you wanna shiny speedy small toy, you should draft another guy from usntdp.

Nemec is a bad fit for the Devils. His defensive game is svcks, and with Luke, Dougie and Sevs we don't need in his service. If we dud draft Sanderson or Edvinsdon drafts or two ago, I would say absolutely different things. Gap between Nemec and Jiricek isn't as great. Jiricek manipulate pretty great, when he is healthy, he isn't slow player and his shot much better, million times. Like his defensive game.

 

Slaf gaMe translates pretty well. He makes fast decisions and build his game on puckprotection.

Edited by Guadana
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Cooley... meh. He us good but offensive oriented and he is very not interior. Nazar is faster and better manipulator. His 200 foot game is better and he us great as interior forward. Not perimeter skater like Cooley. If you wanna shiny speedy small toy, you should draft another guy from usntdp.

Nemec is a bad fit for the Devils. His defensive game is svcks, and with Luke, Dougie and Sevs we don't need in his service. If we dud draft Sanderson or Edvinsdon drafts or two ago, I would say absolutely different things. Gap between Nemec and Jiricek isn't as great. Jiricek manipulate pretty great, when he is healthy, he isn't slow player and his shot much better, million times. Like his defensive game.

 

Slaf gaMe translates pretty well. He makes fast decisions and build his game on puckprotection.

Some say his decision making need to be faster and can be pretty slow.

I also heard the opposite.

Actually just about every aspect of Slaf's games... scouts are all over the place with it. Even his NHL comparables, its truly all over the place.

He's certainly the riskiest pick in my opinion based on context. 

The results he got in the league he played in were very underwhelming, then he got amazing results in international tournaments. But the quality of competition in those tournament was also questionable if we're fair. So, which one is it? Nobody REALLY knows. We have to project a lot more with him than other players.

Cooley has great numbers but he's also playing in a league where the caliber is way lower than what Slaf played in... but also lower than any junior league in canada. But then you don't want to repeat another makar situation where he has great numbers in a sh!t league and just assume it would be lower against better competition.

So in a few years, it's quite possible that Cooley is producing similar to a guy like Zegras or wtv. Which is in line with the numbers he had in his draft year. But that we assumed these numbers wouldnt translate to the NHL. And that we're going... well fvck, we had the numbers and everything to project this... we just made the wrong assumption. While Slaf could turn into another Zacha.

Or the complete opposite is just as possible. I'd be fine with either and clearly see the potential but i do feel like Slaf is the bigger risk of the 2, but maybe biggest ceiling too. Obviously his size will help him and all.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That was half our roster this past season. 

Yeah, I don't wanna add another one questionable F or D in defensive aspect. Reason why I'm happy we have second pick, not 7-9th. Slaf and Wright are better defensively than any top 10 forward, may be only Kasper is better. And both have great tools to be much better.

Anyway we should be really happy. Both Wright and Slaf are awesome prospects, defensively and offensively. I believe both have obvious potential to be top-2/4 forwards on this team. And both are close to be NHL ready. I don't want to rush them, but they are not on the Holtz level, where talent is obvious, but the volume of homework is huge. 

We could draft Savoie, Geekie, Lekkerimaki or Lambert, who promise big offensive upside, but have their own red flags and their defensive game is closer to non. 2nd pick is a present. I know, losing is svck, but we will not start to win with worser player. If devils could be few points worser than they was in 2020, we could end the draft with Raymond and Mercer in the same time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Some say his decision making need to be faster and can be pretty slow.

I also heard the opposite.

Actually just about every aspect of Slaf's games... scouts are all over the place with it. Even his NHL comparables, its truly all over the place.

He's certainly the riskiest pick in my opinion based on context. 

The results he got in the league he played in were very underwhelming, then he got amazing results in international tournaments. But the quality of competition in those tournament was also questionable if we're fair. So, which one is it? Nobody REALLY knows. We have to project a lot more with him than other players.

Cooley has great numbers but he's also playing in a league where the caliber is way lower than what Slaf played in... but also lower than any junior league in canada. But then you don't want to repeat another makar situation where he has great numbers in a sh!t league and just assume it would be lower against better competition.

So in a few years, it's quite possible that Cooley is producing similar to a guy like Zegras or wtv. Which is in line with the numbers he had in his draft year. But that we assumed these numbers wouldnt translate to the NHL. And that we're going... well fvck, we had the numbers and everything to project this... we just made the wrong assumption. While Slaf could turn into another Zacha.

Or the complete opposite is just as possible. I'd be fine with either and clearly see the potential but i do feel like Slaf is the bigger risk of the 2, but maybe biggest ceiling too. Obviously his size will help him and all.

 

He is not the riskiest player. His floor is huge. What's are you talking about? 

 

Slaf is a giant good skating player with one of the best hands of the draft and great playmaking. He can slow the game or he can play on the fast pace. 

Hiw he develope his game, his skating even only in liiga is a huge represent of huge talent.

 

Just watch his game.

He is a second line winger minimum. Because of all of his tools.

He has slow produced start because he did play defensive role with third line players. When he start to produce on olympics, his coaches start to trust him in liiga and his results start to rise. In play off he did show good results and good game. 

And he show absolutely awesome game on WC. That was obvious even against Canada with nhl roster. The level of competition could be questionable for you, but its not for teenagers, who played against best adult euro players. On wc he played against nhlers too.

You are just lie to people on the boards. You don't know what  you are talking about.

Where did you find numbers from Cooley? He has better ppg, but he wasn't the best scorer, overall he has no huge upside if we compare him with partners. His numbers arnt great for even his team. 

Cooley is a perimeter playmaker, who doesn't play interior game. He even doesn't as good play driver as Slaf or Kasper, or even Nazar, or Savoie, or some other guys. He is fast, but he isn't the complete overall talent. And if you name Zegras, I can name Jagr, why not? Because its stupid. Zegras is Zegras, Slaf is Slaf, Cooley is Cooley. And Cooley isn't great on the wing, he was buried in defensive zone before he did start to play with Gauthier and Snuggerud. Hm... who is our interior big forwards who can create space for him? Yeah, we have our own "howard"s. Somewhere.

I know you like small players, I don't know why, but if you like them,go watch games and try to understand who will help to our players better and for what kind of role you will draft player. Because if you want winger from Cooley, you are wasting assets. And talent of Cooley, who will be great nhl playmaking center. We need interior forwards, who can help on the boards. This is their future job. And Wright with Slaf are much better in this aspects.

Zacha was OHL player. Ppg is nothing in professional leagues. You always watch on skills and in the game. Lambert production isn’t his real problem, his decision making is his problem. Makar production wasn’t his selling point, his skills were his selling point. There were some players of his production in ajhl, but no one knows about them. Boqvist was productive  as Raymond in pre draft year. Was close year after. But one was drafted in the beginning of the first round, and the second one in the beginning of the second round. When you drafting players for production you will got Kakko. Rangers could draft Zegras because of his skills, or Seider. Not because of his production. Turcotte was on the level of Cooley production. Or even better. You are using bad arguments. Production works with some players from some leagues, it’s doesn’t work with other players from the same leagues.

Edited by Guadana
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Guadana said:

He is not the riskiest player. His floor is huge. What's are you talking about? 

 

Slaf is a giant good skating player with one of the best hands of the draft and great playmaking. He can slow the game or he can play on the fast pace. 

Hiw he develope his game, his skating even only in liiga is a huge represent of huge talent.

 

Just watch his game.

He is a second line winger minimum. Because of all of his tools.

He has slow produced start because he did play defensive role with third line players. When he start to produce on olympics, his coaches start to trust him in liiga and his results start to rise. In play off he did show good results and good game. 

And he show absolutely awesome game on WC. That was obvious even against Canada with nhl roster. The level of competition could be questionable for you, but its not for teenagers, who played against best adult euro players. On wc he played against nhlers too.

You are just lie to people on the boards. You don't know what  you are talking about.

Where did you find numbers from Cooley? He has better ppg, but he wasn't the best scorer, overall he has no huge upside if we compare him with partners. His numbers arnt great for even his team. 

Cooley is a perimeter playmaker, who doesn't play interior game. He even doesn't as good play driver as Slaf or Kasper, or even Nazar, or Savoie, or some other guys. He is fast, but he isn't the complete overall talent. And if you name Zegras, I can name Jagr, why not? Because its stupid. Zegras is Zegras, Slaf is Slaf, Cooley is Cooley. And Cooley isn't great on the wing, he was buried in defensive zone before he did start to play with Gauthier and Snuggerud. Hm... who is our interior big forwards who can create space for him? Yeah, we have our own "howard"s. Somewhere.

I know you like small players, I don't know why, but if you like them,go watch games and try to understand who will help to our players better and for what kind of role you will draft player. Because if you want winger from Cooley, you are wasting assets. And talent of Cooley, who will be great nhl playmaking center. We need interior forwards, who can help on the boards. This is their future job. And Wright with Slaf are much better in this aspects.

Zacha was OHL player. Ppg is nothing in professional leagues. You always watch on skills and in the game. Lambert production isn’t his real problem, his decision making is his problem. Makar production wasn’t his selling point, his skills were his selling point. There were some players of his production in ajhl, but no one knows about them. Boqvist was productive  as Raymond in pre draft year. Was close year after. But one was drafted in the beginning of the first round, and the second one in the beginning of the second round. When you drafting players for production you will got Kakko. Rangers could draft Zegras because of his skills, or Seider. Not because of his production. Turcotte was on the level of Cooley production. Or even better. You are using bad arguments. Production works with some players from some leagues, it’s doesn’t work with other players from the same leagues.

Dude, take this as construction criticism.

But i don't know if its your language barrier at play here. But do you realize anytime you disagree with someone you're coming off as a giant pretentious know-it-all douchebag. I'm not the first one pointing this out either. Calling me a liar? and assuming i don't watch games? making assumptions on what i like and don't like (and you're wrong every time). I gave a bunch of observations based on what i've seen.

Anytime you disagree with someone you always throw at them that they are not watching games? Get off your high horse buddy you're not the only one watching games here. What do you know? I literally watched every videos, games and read every articles under the sun that i could find in the last years about those prospects. And a LOT of them are all over the place with Slafkovsky, and im acknowledging that.

Slafkovsky is also my personal pick. I mentioned this many times now. But every fvcking time im just acknowledging risks or anything about him, you jump on it like im against him or trashing him, get a grip. I'm just acknowledging that he's riskier in my opinion. Some scouts that knows a lot more than you and I are also projecting him as low as 5, and they have Cooley higher, So they have a different perception of them. Do you understand how that works? How people can have different perceptions based on what they personally prefer or how they assess things? Doesnt mean the other one is stupid. Also, for the second time. I didn't compare Cooley to Zegras like they are similar player, i literally just said that in a few years maybe he'd produce similar numbers than Zegras.

Maybe don't get so cocky and pretentious when you can't even read correctly and understand what we're saying. 

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Slaf can cycle, and protect the puck well .. that should translate. Wright might have the best wrist shot out of all.. nemec doesn't suck at D.. and he's strong on his skates unlike our current 6 ft offensive defenseman.. but we need goals added to this roster. So its Wright or slaf

Edited by EdgeControl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, EdgeControl said:

Slaf can cycle, and protect the puck well .. that should translate. Wright might have the best wrist shot out of all.. nemec doesn't suck at D.. and he's strong on his skates unlike our current 6 ft offensive defenseman.. but we need goals added to this roster. 

We need defense. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Very cool to see Dougie representing the team like that. He’s a big part of whatever happens the next 5 or so years 

Dougie seems to really be liking the area. He’s embracing living in Jersey, and I love seeing that. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Dougie seems to really be liking the area. He’s embracing living in Jersey, and I love seeing that. 

Yeah that’s definitely a plus. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Slaf can cycle, and protect the puck well .. that should translate. Wright might have the best wrist shot out of all.. nemec doesn't suck at D.. and he's strong on his skates unlike our current 6 ft offensive defenseman.. but we need goals added to this roster. So its Wright or slaf

I'm to busy to make records, more over everybody don't care. Nemec doesn't challenge opponents, play passive and always trying to takeaway the puck from the pass he is waiting for. It doesn't work well in nhl.defensemen should cut the zone and push out opponents. And he was manipulated from time to time when i did watch him. He isn't good defenseman now. Does he have tools to be much better? Yeah, he is good skater, he is a hockey player of good size, his stick work is solid, but for now you draft him because of his transition game and playmaking ability on the blue line, not because he is good on his own net. And he is nowhere close to Jiricek in this aspect. 

Edited by Guadana
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems like people are just saying things for clickbait/engagement at this point. There’s this strange narrative going around that NJ is likely to trade the pick. Lots of people are suggesting Montreal isn’t interested in Wright. And there’s just no way Pronman was told that Kasper is a legitimate option at 2OA. I really like Kasper as a prospect, but he may even have been a reach if the Devils hadn’t won the draft lottery. No sane GM would take Kasper if Wright is available IMO. If Kasper is their guy, and they don’t trade back, that is a fireable offense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man.  This feels like Nico v. Nolan again, but in reverse for us with the long presumed #1 pick seemingly falling out of that spot.  We were on the right side of that debate, hopefully we are on the right side of this one as well.  

It will be interesting to see if a team like Columbus, Phoenix or Seattle tries to trade up to #2 for Wright, and whether the Devils entertain moving that pick if Slaf goes off the board at 1.  Devils could then accumulate more picks/assets, move back a few spots and pick 1 of the 2 D.  The top 5 of the draft tomorrow night will be interesting for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the Devils leave the draft tomorrow with one of Slav, Cooley, Nemec or Jiricek I will be a happy camper. 

If they trade back to ~7 which jeapordizes that and end up with someone like Gauthier, I will be big sad. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.