Jump to content

What to do with #2?


Jerzey
 Share

What should we do with the pick?  

56 members have voted

  1. 1. What should we do with the pick?

    • Draft Slafkovsky
    • Draft Nemec
    • Draft Jiricek
    • Trade down
    • Trade for immediate help
    • Draft Cooley
    • Other


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, NJD16W said:

Trading 2nd overall for Debrincat has huge salary cap ramifications. It appears none of the people screaming at the sky get it. This isn't the player for pick straight up swap they are making it out to be. Giving up premium assets & years of cheap control + having to pay a ton of money to Debrincat on top of that is not a smart move for this team. If we had the 7th pick like Ottawa that would change things. There is a drop off after the first 4 picks in this draft. Teams in the top 4 are very happy to make their pick in this draft.

 

The top teams always seem to find a way to manipulate the cap just fine almost like they're playing 3D chess while we're playing checkers worrying about what's going to happen down the road.  Or we can continue to build with kids that may or maynot pan out (but they're cost controlled) troll for spare parts other teams are willing to part with and mix in a Hamilton. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

None got as bad as that 2015 roster and prospect pool we had. none. 

Montreal Canadiens Waiting GIF by Canadiens de Montréal
 

(kidding, kidding. I picked the one with the Habs jersey for you)


Seriously through, I’m holding off any complaints on Fitz until we at least get a little into free agency. He knows what he has to do so I want to give him a chance to do it. 

Debrincat cost Ottawa #7 and #39, plus a 3rd. We would have had to give up #2 and I believe #37 and that might have been a little more than Fitz was interested in trading if Slaf isn’t taken by Montreal and is still there at 2  

Wright is a nice consolation prize but for all we know Fitz may have  something in place for #2 if Slaf isn’t there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

The top teams always seem to find a way to manipulate the cap just fine almost like they're playing 3D chess while we're playing checkers worrying about what's going to happen down the road.  Or we can continue to build with kids that may or maynot pan out (but they're cost controlled) troll for spare parts other teams are willing to part with and mix in a Hamilton. 

Where Hamilton's best playing days are wasted on a basement team. If anything Fitz needs to get his head out of his ass and make moves. His conservative attitude is wasting the talent already on this roster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Montreal Canadiens Waiting GIF by Canadiens de Montréal
 

(kidding, kidding. I picked the one with the Habs jersey for you)


Seriously through, I’m holding off any complaints on Fitz until we at least get a little into free agency. He knows what he has to do so I want to give him a chance to do it. 

Debrincat cost Ottawa #7 and #39, plus a 3rd. We would have had to give up #2 and I believe #37 and that might have been a little more than Fitz was interested in trading if Slaf isn’t taken by Montreal and is still there at 2  

Wright is a nice consolation prize but for all we know Fitz may have  something in place for #2 if Slaf isn’t there. 

Yeah i feel Debrincat would have been a panic move. Of course we want to win sooner than later but we really need to be patient still. I don't think he would have been a bad move. But there's a better move.

Which.. again. you keep the pick and sign a guy who can bring what debrincat brings. And get 2 guys for the team. Depth matters.

Obviously there's no guarantee that we can even sign someone this summer. But we sure have the money to do so so you make the moves that will lead to the best possible scenario and hope for the best.

Tkachuk that'd be different cause he does brings something our top line doesnt have. So i'd make that move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

As I’ve said before, that team lets the media make their decisions. I could see them draft Wright just because they are “supposed” to. 

Well at the draft... they always always say... if its close... go with the center. Unless the winger is Ovechkin... you go with the centre. So i could see them going with him.

Wright is the only player that Martin St-Louis "had the time" to talk to.. so you'd think.... that may mean something... and Hughes only talked to Slafkovsky this morning while he talked to wright and cooley already. So who knows. I guess we'll know in a few hours.

I have a feeling MTL will go with Wright.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Yeah i feel Debrincat would have been a panic move. Of course we want to win sooner than later but we really need to be patient still. I don't think he would have been a bad move. But there's a better move.

Which.. again. you keep the pick and sign a guy who can bring what debrincat brings. And get 2 guys for the team. Depth matters.

Obviously there's no guarantee that we can even sign someone this summer. But we sure have the money to do so so you make the moves that will lead to the best possible scenario and hope for the best.

Tkachuk that'd be different cause he does brings something our top line doesnt have. So i'd make that move.

There’s no guarantee but we are in a great position with like 25 million in cap space. If rumors of Gaudrea wanting to be back east are true, we have a shot. And not getting Debrincat keeps us in the running for Tkachuk, who is a better fit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

There’s no guarantee but we are in a great position with like 25 million in cap space. If rumors of Gaudrea wanting to be back east are true, we have a shot. And not getting Debrincat keeps us in the running for Tkachuk, who is a better fit. 

AND it takes out the Sens out of the running for Tkachuk too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Well at the draft... they always always say... if its close... go with the center. Unless the winger is Ovechkin... you go with the centre. So i could see them going with him.

Wright is the only player that Martin St-Louis "had the time" to talk to.. so you'd think.... that may mean something... and Hughes only talked to Slafkovsky this morning while he talked to wright and cooley already. So who knows. I guess we'll know in a few hours.

I have a feeling MTL will go with Wright.

True. And I also feel they go for Wright. This happens a lot in drafts where the #1 guy isn’t a generation talent. I remember the hockey media saying Tampa wouldn’t take Stamkos back in the day, and Tampa was like “yeah, we are”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also good to keep in mind... it doesnt end at the draft. You generally think... "well now that our first round pick is gone we can't possibly trade for a top guy" but who knows. Getting say Wright or Slafkovsky would make other guys like Holtz more expandable

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Also good to keep in mind... it doesnt end at the draft. You generally think... "well now that our first round pick is gone we can't possibly trade for a top guy" but who knows. Getting say Wright or Slafkovsky would make other guys like Holtz more expandable

Getting Slafkovsky immediately ends Zacha’s Devil career, I imagine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Getting Slafkovsky immediately ends Zacha’s Devil career, I imagine. 

I feel Zacha did that himself last season though lol

Honestly i'm putting potential lineups together for fun and i don't even include him in lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I feel Zacha did that himself last season though lol

Honestly i'm putting potential lineups together for fun and i don't even include him in lol

 

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Zacha’s Devils career should be over regardless of what happens tonight.

Oh I believe he’s done as a Devil, but if Fitz had any hope of Zacha being a useful top 6 LW, Slaf immediately takes his spot

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

 

Oh I believe he’s done as a Devil, but if Fitz had any hope of Zacha being a useful top 6 LW, Slaf immediately takes his spot

Or Wright takes it. Why pay Zacha 3.5-4 mil a year when Wright can likely do it better and for his cheapest years if we are talking either top six or 3C for Wright. 

 

Slaf just so nicely slots in as top six RW, even if we have to wait another year or two on him or we have Shango and Mercer to play on that side with Holtz on the way. Pretty deep. 

 

I don't think I remember the Devil's being that deep on RWs ever. Wright can play wing too likely. He's a right shot. 

 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Or Wright takes it. Why pay Zacha 3.5-4 mil a year when Wright can likely do it better and for his cheapest years if we are talking either top six or 3C for Wright. 

 

Slaf just so nicely slots in as top six RW, even if we have to wait another year or two on him or we have Shango and Mercer to play on that side with Holtz on the way. Pretty deep. 

 

I don't think I remember the Devil's being that deep on RWs ever. Wright can play wing too likely. He's a right shot. 

 

Imagine making $4m a year and not caring that you suck at your job? Must be nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Imagine making $4m a year and not caring that you suck at your job? Must be nice.

It’s like being Zacha, or a weatherman, and literally no other job where that could happen. 

You can now expect lame weatherman jokes about Zacha if he manages to stay here. Which he should because there’s a few other stuffs I would get rid of in favor of Pavel playing on our 4th line. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Imagine making $4m a year and not caring that you suck at your job? Must be nice.

I have always been on Zacha's bandwagon and thought it was nice giving another Czech a shot, but it's time to move on. Last year was kind of make or break for his top 6 chances. 

I think he's looking at 3.5m a year if he accepts the Devil's QO as RFA. 

Im ready to eat crow and if he becomes a perennial 30 goal scorer on some other team and makes the magic 6m a year but from what we've seen him for a few years, I'm alright moving on.

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.